Resolution upscaling - Nvidia, Hostile Waters

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Gojden, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Gojden

Gojden Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4647401#post4647401

After I had my first thread submitted I realized another solution to my problem, but I need some guidance.

I know I could create a customized resolution like 1440x1080 which would likely be the best solution on my monitor then try to run the game with it somehow. However, when I enter that part on my computer there's a message about loss of warranty and damage. How risky is it to use special resolutions? It's not like I'm planning to try 10^7 x 1 or aspect ratio of 28,74:78.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Just enable GPU scaling first and fixed aspect ratio then add that resolution. It will not damage your screen.

3. Gojden

Gojden Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    I'll try it, thanks.

Why is that warning there if it won't damage the computer? Is it because you're on a grey area or because like I said if you try unusual aspect ratios the monitor might not be able to handle them?

4. Gojden

Gojden Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    Ha! It worked! The game now recognizes 1440x1080 as a resolution, I chose it and started. No stretching and no cut off.

Do you happen to know a neat way to force my monitor's desktop resolution to this whenever I start this game and then force back to 1920x1080 when the game is shut down?

Nevermind about changing back and forth, after adding it as a resolution the game now detects it. This will serve well for older games that doesn't work in widescreen mode but could potentially work at such a high resolution.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yep. I use the same resolution too for older games. When you use GPU scaling, the resolution is actually the one your display supports natively and the GPU does the scaling (and in this case it basically adds black bars so the signal it send to your monitor is 1920x1080).

Some games have predefined resolutions and in that case the resolution might not be available in game (KOTOR comes to mind). In that case 1600x1200 or 1280x960 does the job. Sometimes you can bypass that issue with hex editing but game tampering might not work (especially if you have Steam version, like my KOTOR).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  6. Gojden

Gojden Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    I understand the basics behind GPU scaling, it's just that I never thought that games uses a trigger to detect what kind of resolutions the monitor or GPU supports. I've had other games where 1440x1080 works but they were never an offer in the game, I had to manually write that in some configuration file, this is much better however.

As for KOTOR, I remember 16:9 working correctly but you'll need a game fix to bypass Steam's encrypted .exe otherwise it won't load the widecreen hack or something like that but you probably already knew that.

Anyway, thanks for the help. :)