Resolution Scaling on AMD card ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by tahirahmed, Apr 4, 2014.

1. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB
    Hello everyone,

I don't know what should I call it or how to explain it but I'll try.

I heard somewhere that with Nvidia cards you can scale your resolution such that the GPU will output a higher resolution than your monitor's capability but then the image is scaled down to match your monitor's resolution thus producing a sharper image.

I want to know if it's possible to do this with an AMD card ? lets say I have a good graphic card like R9 290 and a monitor that is quite old like a 19'' narrow screen (5:4) with XGA 1280x1024 max resolution, now what if I want to double the output resolution to 2560x2048 but it should be scaled down to 1280x1024 ? thus producing a fine image without anti aliasing.

I am sorry if it sounds stupid or impossible but I am sure I heard or read about this on Nvidia cards. I hope I explained the idea properly.

2. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    That's called downsampling. It's a real pain in the ass to get it to work on AMD cards nowadays.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366244

3. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    I see, thanks for pointing in the right direction. I studied a bit about it after your pointing and found that it's now difficult due to new AMD drivers not working properly with down sampling, is that correct ?

what if I downgrade my drivers to 13.1 or 13.2 (some say it works with 13.2) ?

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9957265&postcount=6448
    ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97072703&postcount=460 )

That, then untick GPU Scaling in the CCC, finally remove the tick box from "Hide modes that this monitor can't support" or what it's called from the display properties screen where you adjust screen resolution and such from Windows. :)

After that you just use the new resolution in games that support it. :)

So from 1920x1200
    [​IMG]

To 2560x1600
    [​IMG]

(Although this is the same image though shrunk so it doesn't display the actual downsample effect as such, slightly sharper and less aliasing.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

5. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    I don't think your 290 is supported by 13.1 or 13.2.

6. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    @JonasBeckman

Thanks for the guides and screenshots, the GPU scaling was already disabled and I un-ticked "Hide modes that this monitor can't support", then I used CRU to make a custom resolution and that resolution appeared in the list of available resolutions after rebooting but when I choose that resolution in game, it switched to that resolution but monitor's OSD is constantly displaying "Out of Frequency" even though everything is working fine behind the OSD message. Any ideas ?

@teleguy

I was using Cat 14.3 which is the beta driver that enabled Mantle support for Thief, other then that it doesn't do much more so I uninstalled it and downloaded the current stable driver from AMD website which is 13.2 for R9 series and it's working fine so far :)

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    I never could get any downsampling to work after 12.XX cats Id be happy with 1440p

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"

I don't think that CRU works with these recent drivers (If it's that Java program, shame though as it's really easy to use.), I had to use the adlutil program from the 3DCenter guide.

Then I used the info in this post - http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=9959536#post9959536 - to change the downsampling from the default 2560x1440 (16:9) to 2560x1600 (16:10) since I use a 16:10 monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1200 so yeah it's a bit cumbersome but once set up it's really easy to use and re-apply for when you do a clean install of newer (or older) drivers, if it's just a in-place upgrade the info will be saved and you can use it immediately without further changes.

I think the max resolution of the 7970 (Or the update of it known as the R9 280 which is what I'm using.) when using this method was 2720x1530 and if you go past that it'll give a out of range error or it'll cause the display driver to crash, which means it's a bit limited if you already have a high-resolution display.
    (Thus why I "only" went from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600 compared to 4K or even 8K downsampling that can be used on Nvidia, still it's a nice improvement and the performance hit is fairly negligible.)

If AMD ever adds it to the driver directly this can probably be improved further, there's some interest in that but nothing has yet come of it or how to say. :)
    ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472941&page=10 )

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. tahirahmed

tahirahmed Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the new way. I'll check it out, I just wish AMD make it a driver feature like Nvidia so we can do it easily instead of messing around with applications or registry.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have never seen monitor which would have good enough scaller for downsampling on monitor side to be worth using.

In most cases you can get effect somewhere between 2x and 4x MSAA but performance hit is not worth it. You can try some SMAA injectors like RadeonPRO, while they are not perfect, they are at least cheap on HW resources.
    In case you want to try software level downsampling there is "SoftTH" it does not have high precision downsampling algorithm either, but should work with many games.