Resident Evil 8

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Becarefull tho the game takes advantage of all my vram eventually. On 1440p max settings, hopefully they are going to patch it. 10 gb vram on 1440p on max settings with rt on is probably not enough if u exceed the vram the game is going into a very low fps.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    12gb seems to be the sweet spot and can max everything out but 3080 was doing fine at 4k while 3070 was clearly out of vram and got destroyed by 6800. Thats all from HH benchmark.

There it is, superior rt but not enough vram, nvidia at its best.

Xtreme512, CPC_RedDawn and AsiJu like this.
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Played an hour of this game on my PC (i7-4770K @ 4 GHz, 16 GB, GTX 1080 Ti) from when it unlocked at 1am this morning and then a bit more this morning before work to the point just past where the Village demo started. The game autosaves (thankfully) but I only found my first manual save point, the usual typewriter, in the church.

Seems decent enough so far with a mix of mostly exploration and slower scene building moments coupled with some intense action sequences. So far, so very Resident Evil 7. Graphically the game looks great but the lack of interaction with the scenery is a bit disappointing for a 2021 game. Also, opening drawers and cupboards seems to result in finding nothing which is frustrating, especially as the game only allows to look in certain drawers and cupboards. Most of them are inaccessible but the game still allows you to open the ones with nothing in them!!!

Performance is mostly fine, although I found that 60 fps is the sweet spot for my system, giving the smoothest performance even on my 165 Hz G-SYNC display. However, I had to use RTSS to cap the game at 60 fps using the game's Variable refresh rate as I found the game's 60 fps cap to produce inconsistent frametimes resulting in the game not feeling as smooth as it does with the RTSS cap. I did experience some severe sub-60 fps dips, usually during action-heavy cutscenes, but I suspect that may be due to having the VRAM set too high (on 8 GB).

Looking forward to playing this more on my PC and, later today, my PS5, which is where I'll use the RT mode and HDR on my 55" LG B9 OLED TV.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  4. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Probably the loot is randomized, so you could find stuff in certain places during one playthrough, but not when replaying that segment again later (like starting a new game). But I agree, the lack of interaction is a letdown, might also be depending on the fact that the lighting system is prebaked and they couldn't add too much destruction or it would break the "magic". :D

5. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    Full game crashed on me at the end of first ambush event.

6. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Be sure to check your vram if it exceeds or getting close to that 8 gb number it might crash or u get weird fps behavior.

7. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX1070 8G
    Loving this so far, only film grain is giving a weird, artifacts kinda look.
    Only inside buildings that is, outside it's better.

8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    rivatuner causes frames drops to 15fps, using windows 10 builtin fps works..

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    Given it's a console game at heart, can you rebind all the controls?

10. skacikpl

skacikpl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 8G
    I must say that i'm quite unhappy with performance of the full game.
    Fire and the bug particles tank FPS to nearly single digits, plus some areas out of random (even ones i already visited and were fine before) suddenly halve the FPS.
    https://streamable.com/0kqfwh

The speedup isn't a video encoding issue - the game literally does that.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    that looks like the game is flushing VRAM and filling it back up with new assets.

I would lower texture quality as this seems to be the main culprit for VRAM usage.

12. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Since i have a 3090, Geforce Experience recommended i set the IQ (resolution scaling) to 2.0 or 200% @ 4k with RT max on !!!!

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Really?

For me it says lol, go play Wolfenstein 3D pops.

15. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW U
    I found the settings menu a bit buggy but everything settled down after the 3rd restart.

On my rig I got all settings maxed at 4k 120, 120fps cap, HDR enabled and 4gig textures, installed on NVME drive.
    Film grain, vrs and AMD sharpening are only options I have disabled.
    Nvidia options, g-sync and ultra latency setting.
    Also found I had to put windows in high performance mode or FPS would be all over the shop.

Have to say I been really impressed with the performance so far, just had a few dips here and there. Looks stunning on 4k OLED, sure there are some dodgy looking textures in some places but overall it's really good.

As for the game, really enjoying it, game is so over the top in a good way, sure it's not resi of old but still it's a fascinating wild ride lol. I'm 6 hour in, 2 bosses down and for me it's quite a challenge.

Only thing I'd improve is the weapons, they lack a bit of impact so far and they need to fix the odd stutter when killing an enemy (most likely related to rng script on item drops ).

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    FOV MOD!

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevilvillage/mods/10

Working perfectly, completely changes the game. The default is 81 FOV which makes aiming and turning feel slow and sluggish not to mention you get this sort of tunnel vision effect after a while and it leads to motion sickness.

I have the mod currently settings a 100 FOV and a 100 FOV aiming so the camera doesn't zoom in and out every time you want to aim (my preference). You also have to LOWER the vignette if you raise the FOV otherwise you end up with a large black border in the shape of a circle around the image.

The game can look crazy with a higher FOV but it can also bug out with anything above 150 FOV.
    [​IMG]
    not my pic this is with a much higher fov from the mod page.

Skinner and Undying like this.
  17. lamparcicho

lamparcicho Member

GPU:
    Evga 980Ti sc+
    What do you mean?
    Could you be more precise on this point? ;)

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    HDR exposes VRS rendering in front of you, you'll see light flickers on objects if you move back a little, annoying as hell and i just turned it off

19. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Just finished the game it was a beautiful gem only the story is kinda a mind-fuk thingy.
    Btw after latest nvidia drivers no fps drops even with riva turner and afterburner all maxed on 1440p rtx on. i just wish the game was a bit longer, also ethanh story makes no sense like wth.

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    This have DLSS?