Resident Evil 8

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2020.

1. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Never played a RE game, what are they like?
    Alan Wake sort of thing, which I liked or something different, if it's a horror game where I'm supposed to be scared it never works on me.

DannyD likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This one is not scary, this one is sexy.. any one that says otherwise is uncultured.

DannyD likes this.
  3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Gonna pick this up after the summer, just too damn hot right now for much gaming. I'm new to RE games also.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    After suffering annoying stutters during enemy death animations and slowdown during the daughter encounters, I'd given up hope of ever been able to play this game smoothly, especially after trying the Mercenaries mode where this issue is even more prevalent and infuriating.

Well lo and behold, after watching Digital Foundry's analysis of the anti-DRM crack that improves performance significantly and, therefore, concluded that it was the cause of the issues many, including myself, have been experiencing while playing the game, I decided to try the linked REFramework mod instead of the crack. To my surprise this simple DInput8.dll completely fixes the stutters and slowdown in the game on my system and it now runs at a locked 60 fps on maxed out 1440p settings (that is everything is enabled or set to its highest value). To say I am stunning is an understatement and I only wish I'd come across this mod earlier while I was playing through the game for the first time.

What puzzles me about this REFramework mod is that doesn't do anything, as far as I am aware, to bypass the DRM yet it fixes all the stuttering and slowdown issues. I just don't understand that if the issues are supposed to be caused by the DRM...

DocStr4ngelove, fr33k and DannyD like this.

5. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    It probably does, Capcom DRM is also anti tamper. IIRC RE3 remake initially had a check whether files have been physically modified (probably devised from REsistance multiplayer thing) and if you had any mods, after some time the game would deliberately start misbehaving as it would stop allowing you from picking up items and opening doors.

This was also initially patched out by RE Framework IIRC and then subsequently quietly removed by CAPCOM in one of patches.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    if a game us hogging the cpu, and denuvo runs off the same cpu, then if the game runs badly enough then denuvo hits it.

long mused that is why some swear up and down it does and others, with monster rigs usually say nonsense.

if the mod makes the cpu usage more efficient or bypasses the drm (denuvo) either one if its a cpu usage issue should improve things.

7. The dll contains integrity check bypass.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  9. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    That link won't quite work.

Anyways i doubt they'll actually be removing the DRM altogether, probably much like RE3R the "CAPCOM" portion of DRM with the integrity checks will be removed like they did with RE3 but Denuvo itself will stay for next 7-8 months.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Just to confirm the link does nothing... even with a discord account logged in.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
  12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The patch is out.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ahh yes, the anti-piracy technology that needed to be optimized.

Hey Alexa, what does optimized mean.

ok good I thought I was stupid.. thanks alexa.

Airbud likes this.
  14. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    So for nearly 3 months they managed to squeeze in a single rendering feature and some undisclosed changes to their anti tamper.
    Amusing.

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    If it weren't for the comunity fiding out this problem with RE8 DRM, Capcom would never have fixed this.
    It's interesting how fast, some things get fixed, when there's a backlash from consumers.

16. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
    i think the update video by DF played a role in getting capcom to act

17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Someone has already tested the new patch.
    Seems to have fixed the game.

18. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Out of curiosity tried FSR and man is it awful...
    Seeing it in action makes it obvious why AMD really doesn't want to compare it to DLSS and fair enough - it's not temporal, not AI driven, doesn't require specific acceleration hardware or driver.
    BUT
    It literally gives worse results than native upscaling of most engines... so what's the purpose?

I tried it also in Necromunda: Hired Gun which is UE4 game with DLSS and FSR support, between the both it's not even a competition but again FSR is same if not worse than just native UE4 upscaler.
    I find it interesting that they enforce it to be named FSR 1.0 specifically in both games as if to imply that DLSS 1.0 also was terrible so if it's bad then it's because it's 1.0.

I mean sure - by all means surprise me and i'm all for the underdog for sake of the competition but at this very moment i don't see any competition going as it doesn't even compete with engine native upscalers.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  19. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    AMD FSR in Resident Evil Village review: Benchmarks in WQHD and Ultra HD and the conclusion - ComputerBase
    July 23, 2021

AsiJu likes this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021