Resident Evil 7

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2016.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wow, it looks good! I didn't like 4 & 5 because of their controls but this looks promising.

Yikes ... kinda expensive on steam :p

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Can't wait for the demo :D

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I played the demo on the ps4, it's a nice 25 minute experience. Probably less if you already know where to look. Surprised me by being 60fps. I hope the final version is also 60fps on the ps4.

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    50 € is a normal price these days for PC (sometimes its even 60!). You dont buy on Steam anyway if you want to buy it cheaper. A key for ~35 € (cdkeys.com for instance) sounds a lot nicer, issnt it?

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't pay in Euros so your normal isn't my normal :p Steam is often the same price or cheaper than cdkeys for me and refunds are a big bonus. No way I'm paying $67 for this. If it was the usual $35-45, I would've considered it.

6. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    .oO how can it be that Steam is cheaper than cdkeys if you and i and we all have the same prices on Steam, converted or even 1:1!? Cdkeys store is the same. So why on earth should that 35 EURO be more expensive?

On (for) cdkeys(.com) you even have other currencies. So its 37 $ or 30 pound...i dont understand your logic. Steam often cheaper or same than cdkeys!? Yeah, that really must be only for you. :p

And if refund is so important to you, be my guest. I never had to refund any game, cos i dont buy games blindly and keep me informed about them.

Also refund is only possible if you dont play more than 2 hours and/or have the game not more than 2 weeks activated on your account.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Heard of regional pricing? I don't know why you have to be so autistic about the whole thing but I won't stop you.

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    And... pre-ordered. :)

I don't care. This game looks fantastic. It's horror. It's Resident Evil. And I can't flippin' wait.

And now, for the rather foolish comments about how pre-ordering is ruining PC gaming. :p

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm with you. If it's a game I'm excited for and will end up buying anyway, I usually pre-order it. If the game launches and doesn't crash non-stop I'm happy. I really don't care about the usual stuff people bitch about like broken AA or micro-stutters.

11. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Shame that there is no FSAA or MSAA only ****ty AA methods :(

In Darksiders: Warmaster Edition FSAA looks really nice.
    Nevermind all this Resolution Scaling FTW :D

12. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
  14. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just curious is anyone going to play this on ps vr ?

If anything was to tempt me into vr it would be this.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Never.

I will play the hell out of this. But, I won't play it in VR.
    Nothing about playing a game with a box strapped to me head sounds like any kind of fun to me.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's about immersion rather than fun, no monitor or even a TV can ever accomplish that.
    It's a bit like headphones, i struggle to enjoy anything with headphones stuck to my head, VR is similar.

VR isn't for me though, it's amazing on Samsung Gear VR, but being cut off from the world scares me more than the content ever would.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I play games for fun.
    To relax and be comfortable. Strapping something hot and awkward to my face doesn't sound like fun.
    I also don't use headphones. I have a set, but I think I've used them maybe twice in the three or so years I've had them.

It's all personal preference, and I get there are people really into it. And I'm happy for them.
    But, I've also had people tell me how much of an idiot I am because I want nothing to do with it. VR just isn't for some people, and those that are really big fans of it... need to realize that.

18. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's kind of like golf wii great for a while then I just want to sit down with a controller and play, the immersion aspect of vr gaming has just come to life, it will be a part of the future as in the past vr was shxterm and humans will be accosomized to the alternative reality of gaming, I'm not sold on the idea at the moment being an older gamer but it's the future and to have an alternative to playing on a tv is revolutionary for gamers, I probably would like a try but not buy.

19. deets75

deets75 Guest

VR does sound interesting, my partner had a demo of VR the other day and said she would think a zombie game would be cool.

saying that, she still goes white when i say "mayday, mayday" so she probably wouldn't like it for too long :D

20. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    http://sidearc.com/psvr-way-experience-resident-evil-7/

When I put that headset on and booted up Beginning Hour, straight away it hit me, it was the sense of scale. What once seemed like a small house immediately felt imposing, all encompassing, I was hit with a sense of dread that I didn’t have playing on a TV display. The quality of the visuals also surprised me right off the bat, in the Kitchen demo the visuals were good but they had a lot of shimmering and jaggies and whatnot (not a technical guy) and while those are still present to some degree in Beginning Hour, it was much less noticeable to me.

Obviously it won’t look as good as it will on a TV but the trade off in visual fidelity for this new sense of immersion is a no brainer for me. There’s that eye-rolling word, immersion, but I’m not smart enough to think of a better one to describe it, there is no comparison when playing it in VR, it’s all around you. And man, it really ratchets up the tension.

Tension and fear are perhaps the most important aspects of RE7, and indeed any horror game, but in VR your paranoia is increased tenfold, I crawled absolutely everywhere, slowly and carefully craning my head around corners to avoid any nasty surprises, it’s almost a relief when the spooky thing does finally reveal itself because at least then you know what you’re dealing with. Sure, what happens in ‘location X’ is scary, but slowly approaching that bath filled with blood, not knowing if something would jump out and grab you, that’s the real horror. Standing at the top of the stairs that lead down to the basement, knowing you have to go down there into the unknown, I can’t imagine that would have felt even half as unnerving without VR.

Full disclosure, I seem to be immune to VR sickness so perhaps your experience will differ to mine, however Capcom have included a whole bunch of options to help combat this phenomenon. By default, the right stick doesn’t move the camera in a smooth manner but rather its snaps to the direction by a certain amount of degrees (you can set how many degrees in the options). You can also set it so that the crouch button immediately puts you in the crouching position rather than a smooth motion that may upset bellies. But hey, having a sick feeling in your stomach should add to the immersion right?

So, to wrap this up, if you own a PSVR, immediately download the Beginning Hour, play around with it, it has like 3 endings and a convoluted, P.T-esque, puzzle to solve so that should keep you entertained for a while, you could spend longer here in this free demo than in the Batman Arkham VR story! If you’re thinking about getting a PSVR but aren’t convinced it can live up to expectations, look into RE7, if you can, try it at a friends house or something, I think it can sway you. If you think you may get PSVR one day, but in the future, then my advise to you is to not play RE7 until that day comes, you don’t want to spoil it for yourself by the time you have the means to experience it the way it should be experienced.