Resident Evil 7

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's probably a good action game, likely not a good RE game though.

As much as the e clunky movement and camera switching is a pain nowadays, it was less of an issue back then though.

I remember mostly preferring these sort of games as pre rendered 2D backgrounds always looked brilliant, while full 3D stuff like Tomb Raider was far less impressive.

RE5 is a game i really enjoyed though, it may have not been horror but gameplay wise it wasn't that far from a RE game, plus it's not like any of the RE games were scary in the slightest.

2. chris2k

chris2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Theres a girl that appears throughout the house for split seconds when you are controlling the camera man

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    So kind of like Outlast 2 demo then, just setting the premise. Which I think is a very smart way to construct a demo teaser.

Looking forward to RE 7 (and Outlast 2) very much. I feel RE 7 has hit the sweet spot, even this demo had a lot of detail and interesting stuff to it.

Granted, not a huge fan of RE series so I'm not comparing to previous titles, rather looking at this on its own.
    Tbh personally don't care whether this is similar to or different from previous entries.

4. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Could of started a new ip, some of the last RE games have left people pissed off and called it something else, after the first few games I would just buy the next one but the series went off the rails, not saying I won't buy this but it could have been fresh and new for capcom.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm glad they didn't.

Resident Evil is one my favorite series. Had they simply abandoned it I would have been really sad.
    While I've been disappointed in the last few entries, I've still held out hope that they would return to the horror roots of the originals.

Reinventing it in this manor, while not rebooting the storyline... is great.
    It seems to be the general thought these days, a series gets a bad entry, just reboot and start over.
    I'd rather see more studios/publishers own it. If they are going to continue it, don't try and whip the lackluster entry away as if it didn't happen. Continue forward and make it better.

Also, I love the switch to first person. While my favorite genre, they've toyed with the idea for a long time.
    Yes, the Gun Survivor games have almost always been crap. One of the early versions of Resident Evil 4 was originally going to feature first person sequences.

And it sounds they are handling this more in line with Alien: Isolation even though they keep referencing Outlast and Amnesia.
    Since RE7 will feature weapons and combat. As well as puzzle solving and green herbs.

6. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I got the first game on import "Japanese" and loved it then I bought it pal and after 2 the RE experience wasn't the same 4 and Veronica were good but it was creeping away from the basic fundamentals, not that some people think the evolution of the series had to go that way but after 7 games or more bring in the first person perspective and move away from the herbs some mundane puzzles and break in a brand new IP with no restrictions from the past, BTW is any characters from the past in this game.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    No past characters.
    It's an entirely new cast of characters.

I've played damn near every entry. Starting with the first Resident Evil back in the old PSX days.
    And despite it's cringe worthy dialog and voice acting, I loved it. While there was action, the focus was definitely on the horror, that feeling of being helpless.
    But Resident Evil 2 took everything and improved on it. The writing and voice acting were huge leaps above. The settings were more varied, detailed and interesting. Combat was better. The atmosphere was thicker.

3 was good, but it started to feel a bit stale. The formula was showing it's age, and as fights became larger and more involved... the controls and camera angles started showing their short comings.

The direction 4 took was the right one. A new camera angle. Return of Leon, who was a huge fan favorite after 2.
    A new setting. No Umbrella. No zombies. And while a much stronger focus on action, it still had it's thick, imposing atmosphere. Limited resources. And strong horror themes.

Sadly, 5 took the wrong lessons from 4. While a good game, and one I enjoy, it took a MUCH stronger focus on horror. Mad Umbrella the key element again.
    Made the inventory system worse, and took the weakest element of 4 and made it a central theme. An always there team mate.
    It worked in 4 as it was occasional, a few times here and there. But, in 5 you are never alone.

And 6 only took it even further in the wrong direction. Mistaking quantity for quality. Ramping up the action even more, making fights larger. And the developers even told people like Jeff from Giantbomb and other outlets, they were trying to emulate American action games.
    Trying to get in on the third person shooter hype.
    But, the game just feels clunky. Character models look great, but the overall graphical fidelity and visuals look muddled and in ways, worse then RE5. An over-reliance on QTE to try and make it feel cinematic.
    And a lazy retcon to bring back Umbrella and Wesker only make an already campy story ungodly stupid.

Members of the development team have since commented that the game should've just been Leon's campaign. More polished. More refined, and slightly longer.
    But, Capcom wanted in on the action craze, and felt they couldn't do an RE game without Umbrella. Even though... they already did with 4.

I can't wait for 7. I've reinstalled a few RE games and started new campaigns. While I'm seriously hyped for the RE2 remake, I can't wait to see how 7 turns out.
    I'm cautious, as no matter how good it looks... it can falter. But, it seems they know what they are doing here.
    And returning to straight up horror instead of trying to capitalize on action is the best thing I've heard for RE in years.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Resident Evil 7 PC Requirements:

MINIMUM:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4460, 2.70GHz or AMD FX-6300 or better
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD Radeon R7 260x
    DirectX: Version 11
    Additional Notes: 1080P CPU/GPU at 30FPS Players will have to either lower texture or set streaming textures to OFF in order to optimize performance. *Internet connection required for game activation. The game is still undergoing development, so all PC requirements are subject to change.
    RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz or AMD or better
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 or AMD Radeon R9 280X or better
    DirectX: Version 11
    Additional Notes: “1080P CPU/GPU at 60FPS *Internet connection required for game activation. The game is still undergoing development, so all PC requirements are subject to change.”

9. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    RE6 could have been pretty cool if they'd have just stuck to the Leon story throughout and had the rest of the characters just be NPCs, the atmosphere in the campus at the start was sublime. The rest of the game was just throwaway with tedius, predictable boss fights.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Leon had the best campaign. All they needed to do with make it a little longer, focus on polish and atmosphere. It could've been great.

But, seems someone had the idea "quantity is quality" and they just tried to shove too much in the game.
    I remember Jeff from Giantbomb talking about how when he had lunch with Capcom, they were asking him which shooters he liked constantly.
    They were trying to copy Gears of War and other such games instead of making a RE game.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Game looks so damn good.
    This is what I've wanted out of a Resident Evil game for years. So glad they are finally returning to actual survival horror.

No more of that third person action game crap. True survival horror. Tis great.

13. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Really can't wait! PC demo *should* be out this month :D

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

DEMO IS OUT ON PSN NOW !!!!

15. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, just read that. An early Christmas gift from Capcom. How nice. :)

Can't wait.
    As it stands right now, RE7 is my most anticipated game.

17. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    [​IMG]

Cummin all over the screen

18. fragba1t

fragba1t Guest

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    Wonder if it'll supports 21:9 out the box. No matter - I'm buying this anyway :D

Edit: I guess 'arbitrary resolutions' suggests it does. Time will tell :banana:

19. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Looked like a prequel until I saw his watch, happy the root of the franchise is going more linier and scary/jumpy graphics are great i will try it later, where in the timeliine is this ?

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, this is the next official canon entry in the series.
    It takes place after the events of Resident Evil 6. It's unknown exactly how it fits into the larger series... but they've said it does.

But, RE7 will NOT feature any pre-existing characters or story arcs.
    This is an entirely self contained story, with brand new characters. It's connected, but not directly.