Resident Evil 7

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2016.

1. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX3090 OC
    Hmm. Looks like you have the brightness bug people are talking about as it seems very washed out. Try changing color space if you cannot get it darker.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Love this game so far. I can't bring myself to play with headphones though. Surround sound speakers are enough to creep you out when you constantly are hearing things around you. Atmosphere in this game is amazing.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    And I don't know what's the deal with Grandma. I wish she'd just stay in her damn room. I keep expecting her to jump out at me but she never does

4. Odellot

Odellot Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF RTX 3090 XG438Q
    Just wish it will have 21:9 Support..Pillar Boxing oh my eyes!!!! it hurts!!!

[​IMG]

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Ive gone back to sRGB, and turned the brightness down, was too high before, although not sure why, as you get to set the brightness on first launch, was halfway for some reason, so now only 3 notches up. :p

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Firstly, I am a massive Resident Evil fan. My fav game of all time is RE1 on the Gamecube. I have played all of them ever since 1996.

This game simply is NOT resident evil. It is at best Outlast with puzzles and an inventory.

The game also alienates people without VR. As you consistently get things slapped in your face such as knives, hands, faces, blood, etc. This consistently takes away from my experience with the game as I am consistently reminded I am playing the game in 2D and not in VR.

Also the controls are horrendous, in a game that is all about being sneaky and avoiding people to NOT have a lean function or a decent cover system is literally game breaking. This again is something that is done in VR with leaning your head to look round corners. Once again the normal player comes last.

Then there is the story, totally ripped from Silent Hill 2, the settings totally ripped from countless horror movies. The graphics completely toned down... once again because of VR. Which people can only experience on PS.

This could of been called anything else and have been a new IP, it should not have been resident evil.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Surely it's a step in the right direction compared to RE6, and even 5 which i actually really enjoyed, but realise why people didn't like it.

RE has been many games over the last 20 years though, so no easy to say what an RE game is at this point.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

Graphics toned down? Have you seen what it looks like on PSVR? It looks awful compared to PC.
    Also there was a 1 year exclusivity deal with PSVR so I'm sure PC will get updated with a VR patch after that.

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    As another massive RE fan (I own each release, even the crappy Gun Survivor titles) and I personally feel that this game is Resident Evil through and through.

More so then the series has been in years.
    The Outlast comments... are just tired at this point. People make those comments simply because RE7 is in first person. But, while playing, they feel nothing alike.
    RE7 feels like the original RE. Slow paced, overwhelmed... were a lot of the time, it's better to run then it is to stay and fight.

For me, the best game in the series has been (for years) RE2. Followed closely by the first game (and REmake). Then RE4. And while I love RE4, it changed the series completely.
    It no longer felt like survival horror. While it was atmospheric, it wasn't tense. And, sadly, games that followed took the wrong lessons from 4.

7 thankfully brings the series back into focus and rekindles that love I originally had. The tension. The atmosphere. The sense of discovery and dread combined wonderfully.
    I still haven't finished my first time through, I'm pretty damn close I think, but I'm absolutely loving it and so grateful Capcom refocused.

I hope RE8 follows suit, and is to RE7 what RE2 was to the first game.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

I agree, the only thing this has in common with Outlast is that its a FPS horror game. Other than that its completely different. For one, you have weapons to defend yourself and you don't spend most of your time hiding in a locker.

I love it. Pretty sure I'm almost done with my first playthrough. The first half of the game was definitely better I think. Second half was more action oriented.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes.
    I kind of get why everyone compares it to Outlast, but at the same time... it makes no sense.
    Yes, they are both horror games, and both in first person. But, Outlast was not the first game of that kind.

And even so, RE7 has far more in common with Alien Isolation.

12. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I've been eyeing this but I'm still on the fence. I didn't much care for any of the games from the fourth onward, and I'm hearing mixed opinions on this. Anyone able to convince me to pick it up?

For reference, my favourite games in the series are: Resident Evil 3 > Code Veronica/Resident Evil remake > Resident evil 2.

That said, I've always been more of a Silent Hill fan in honesty.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Then RE7 is definitely more up your alley.
    It's a slower paced game, more focused on atmosphere, horror and exploration.

There is combat and action, but it's definitely dialed back in comparison to the past few titles in the series.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I can't work which of those I should be using on my IPS display. The default sRGB does look too bright in places such as outdoors near the trailer and BT.709 does indeed look more realistically darker but in places it looks too dark, like it is crushing blacks resulting in lost details. Maybe I need to set my monitor's colour profile to sRGB to benefit from the same setting in the game... it would make sense. 25" Dell U2515H 60 Hz 2560x1440 monitor by the way.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    That BT one is a HDTV spec I believe but it has reduced color accuracy or some such compared to SRGB although on compatible monitors there is also a HDR mode which has better accuracy (something 2020? Eh I forgot the names of these.) while also allowing for that HDR effect in terms of brightness and darkness levels.

16. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    You get the resident Evil feeling wen you are on the ship, it explains a lot of the game.

17. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    It's give the same color space for old TV's. If you have a new TV you better use SRGB, TV's like sony bravia form 2013/2014 have full SRGB

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I am sorry but if you think this is classic resident evil you must of been playing a different game all these years.

This IS outlast with puzzles/inventory tacked on.

It has virtually zero ties to the other RE games, its first person, the fundamental gameplay mechanics are broken with no cover system round corners and no leaning function.

Also the graphics HAVE taken a massive downgrade thanks to VR being the main focus here. They had to target 60fps minimum on the PSVR and this would have to be on the base PS4 (not PRO) so the hardware they are working with is extremely limited.

I wanted a proper RE sequel, a continuation of the story we know, with familiar characters, preferably prerendered backgrounds and the old school tank controls. Just imagine what they could pull off with prerendered backgrounds with today's technology. THIS is RE, not this watered down cheap fps rip off that borrows literally everything from other games and movies and then focuses the gameplay on VR which only limited people (at this time) can enjoy. And then forgets its an RE game and staples in some rubbish puzzles that a 2 year old can figure out and a item system.

19. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I your a Wolverhampton fan you must be happy at the moment :)

20. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    sRGB for default monitors, BT709 for HDTV and BT2020/HDR for HDR TVs/Monitors.