1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident Evil 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2018.

1. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Just finished my 2nd playthrough.

What a game :D

Can't wait for the RE3 remake, these guys are really doing this franchise justice, the last two games have been incredibly good and so true to the franchise.

2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    So GOTY consideration? this is a remake of a game not a unique game though this is a remake on a totally different scale to what you typically get of these things also. I bet most of the assets in game are different to the playstation 2 release.

But i have seen debate as to if it should be considered being here that so many love it what do you all think GOTY contender? Or just an amazing remake of an amazing classic?

BangTail likes this.
  3. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Well, for me at the least, GOTY applies to any game that is released in a given year with the only exception being remasters of existing games (which RE2 is not).

With that criteria in mind, it is definitely a GOTY contender.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It's a great game, but, at this moment... there's nothing else to really judge it against.
    RE2 was the first big title released this year. So... yeah, right now... easy GOTY. But, it's also... the only real game of the year. ;)

BangTail likes this.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    See i would not consider remakes or remasters new games typically. Like last year i loved yakuza zero but it was a "hd" pc release of a classic game. re2 remaster though does do a ton more than yakuza did. dark souls remaster was so meh no way in hell could i think of that as a "new" game.

So i guess my thinking here is that a remaster can put enough work in to be its own unique thing in some circumstances. Like if you recode a piece of software there is a certain amount of the code you have to change for it to qualify as its own unique piece of software and can be copyrighted and protected as yours.

But you all seem to be arguing for a much laxer standard that literally does not matter how much or how little work a remaster is when it comes out it should be considered equally among games. Right?

BangTail likes this.
  6. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Yakuza 0 wasn't a re release of an old game.
    It was justa a port of a PS3(Japan Only)/PS4 game.
    It's also, a new game, not a remaster.

For Resident Evil 2, this is NOT a remaster. It's a remake and a re-imaging of an old game.

BangTail likes this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I already named RE2 my GOTY due to that zombie-pant-crapping-thingy :D

Now to finish my Leon playthrough and start (topless) Claire run...

what?

cerebus23 likes this.
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yes and yes :p

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
  10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm really disappointed with Ghost Survivors.
    I was hoping for something more narrative focused. But, this is just 4th Survivor with other characters.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Eh.
    To each his own, but, I personally don't enjoy 4th Survivor that much. And these new Ghost Survivor missions are kind of a "swing and a miss" for me.

If they release some solid, story driven narrative focused DLC... I'll be on board.
    But now. Meh.
    I mean, they are fun... for a little bit. But, they are not anything I want to revisit. While the story mode of RE2, I love and want to replay over and over.

cerebus23 likes this.

12. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    It is just me, or since the DLC update, the performance is better in the game?
    I never benchmarked it, but, it feels smoother.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its hard to tell if you didnt benchmark the game before. Still, i dont think they did anything performance wise so it should be the same.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    okay, so... is Mr. X gonna be a constant threat from now on that he appeared?

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    No.
    He has set sections of the story that he shows up in.
    Mostly the police department, but once you make it out of the RPD... his appearance is much less. Though, he will still show up.

And, an odd choice... he's in both the Leon and Claire story.
    While in the original 1998 version, Mr X was only in the "B" story. Now, he's in both A and B.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Thanks. I'm royally boned with Mr. X now chasing and there seem to be new lickers around as well.

Combination of those is really unnerving. Not to mention somewhat frustrating.

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, the key things to remember....
    The Lickers are blind. So, if you walk past them... they won't attack you.
    And Mr. X.... is slower then you. So, no matter what you can always outrun him. And, due to his animation when he enters doors... you can basically run right through him. Which, requires him to turn around and go back through the door. Playing the animation again... giving you even more time to get away.

Also, Mr. X is drawn by sound. So, if you run when he's near by... he'll hear you and come looking. Also, gunfire atracks him no matter where he's at.

18. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    That's where a Randomizer would shine and literally save the game from potential boredom (at least for people who can't stand too much linearity).

The N64 version of RE2 had a mode with some randomization for ammunition placement (can't recall if it was anything else than ammo though).

For the RE2 Remake they should really create a new mode (doesn't have to be forced in the 'main' campaigns; so a separate mode would work well) where the following is randomized:

- Ammunition
    - Consumables
    - Weapons (at least some of them)
    - Enemies

Now, for enemies, there's two things: 1) Enemy placement (randomization of spawn points), and 2) Enemy type (I.E. a dog spawns in lieu of a zombie, or a Licker spawns instead of a dog, etc). And potentially a third point as well for enemies, which would be randomization of numbers (I.E. 3 zombies instead of 1, or 1 instead of 2, etc).

It would require some play testing and balancing. But it wouldn't require the creation of new anything (new enemies, new items, new rooms, new models or things like that). The assets are already there. Just code in randomization where appropriate (or where possible / where it wouldn't screw up the scripting for story progression, such as when Mr. X appears for the first time, etc) and suddenly, RE2 Remake has the potential to keep going forever.

It's possible that modders will get to it I think... not sure though (not sure how much the game can be modded outside of new textures or tempering with character models). However, I'd prefer it if Capcom themselves were the ones doing it with proper support and bugs fixing whenever needed.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah but walking silently doesn't seem to be fool proof. I tried sneaking under a licker (at ceiling) and it attacked anyhow.

Staying silent helps but if X appears then I must run (if he spots me) and lickers have a field day...

X by himself is easy enough to avoid but combining these makes for a predicament.
    Though I was trying to access a new room (club key) instead of working my way towards the clock tower so change of plans I guess...

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, if you walk under a Licker... they will go into an "alerted" animation and play a sound, but so long as you don't stick around... or start running. Just keep walking, they just kind of go into a search animation.
    Also, you can walk slower if you aim your weapon.
    Lickers (and dogs) can't open doors, or go upstairs.

21. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    cerebus23, TR2N and AsiJu like this.
  22. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Netherwind, AsiJu and Undying like this.