Researchers upgrade fiber tech to transmit data at 255 Terabits/s

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nice. We won't see this technology again for another 50 years for any customer. What a shame :rolleyes:

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Meanwhile in UK I am stuck with 10mb phone line connection with 1.4mb/s download speeds, and without any possible alternatives, even thou I have a willing and money to get something faster, but no. So annoying.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Be glad its not Verizon dsl in the states, some those places only get 3mbit and slower. and pay roughly the same for people that get 50+mbit, i so glad i left Verizon dsl for optimum i pay they same i was pay with Verizon dsl as i do for optimum cable only difference i actual get 120mbit.

Choice by me where DSL or Optimum and for 10+ years i tried to avoid cable isp, but 3mbit was no longer cutting it 100+month for dsl vs 100+ month for 100+mbit which would any sane person pick? lol.

I would love to see the 255terabits/s but when and if it does hit consumers they probably gona ask a arm/leg/hand etc for it too

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Im stuck with the same in Canada but i also have a 100gb cap and its 70$ a month. its sad that in these countries we dont even have over 100mbps in most areas.

6. Bogeyx

Bogeyx Active Member

GPU:
    2070 RTX @ 2050Mhz
    300kb/s here...
    However I'm supposed to get 100mbit Q1 next year :banana:

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    another thing right there bandwidth caps they need to be done away with with bandwidth caps in place it dont help advancement of speeds but it does help the isp profits

High ISP prices and charges for going over bandwidth cap= robbery

500mbit in japan/china etc cost way less then 100mbit cost here in the states and quiet a few other places. got love the capitalist system

I feel your pain 3mbit DSL is terrible in this day and age, even statalite isp is faster cost just as much as said dsl though

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's all about expensive of installation. The places that fast internet are dense population areas on a city scale, but also on a country scale. Something that is usually overlooked is the connection between your country and the place where you are actually downloading from. Australia is a good example of this, since the population is so spread out, and even in cities the population density isn't as high as in other places. If you do have fast internet access, then you are limited by the cabling between Australia and Asia, and Australia and the US. Undersea cabling between Australia and the US isn't cheap to lay.

This fast fibre won't benefit the home user, at least for a while, but I do see it being used for boosting intracontinental and intercontinental connection speeds.

9. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M
    In Singapore, the maximum speed offered is currently 1 Gbps. I am on a 500 Mbps speed though.

:banana:

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    bit over week a go I downloaded half of my steam library in 2 days 640 gigs. that cap would kill me. For me my 100mb line will drop in price soon from 40€ a month to 20€

11. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    In January BT ran a test on existing network & achieved 100% stable speeds of 1.4 terabits per second over a 255 mile link not bad for old tech.

12. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    99% of AUS has max speed of 1.5mb/s

I have never seen download speeds of over about 800kb/s.

200gb per month is $89.

I have no problem with the cap, only in months when several 50gb games come out do I reach the cap, but the speeds such, 5 days of 24hr downloading
    for a 50gb game if I am getting max speed, a week or more if not.

13. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    on my 10mbps max i even see for download speeds is 1.2mb/s on steam anything els im lucky to get 800kb/s i dont uderstand how they function because when i had the 5mbps connection fastest i ever got was 600kb/s on steam how did i get more speed upgrading to 10 when i never got the full 5 i was supposed to get?

14. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    5Mbps = 640KBps so you were probably getting your full 5 (minus a little overhead)

b vs B

15. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    The deal is that we don't need to directly see this technology right now, this kind of technologies are first used in the industrial and ISP field, where the real money people can test and develop a reliable and usable tech.

16. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    NSA and company are loving this. :wanker: