Requesting Scanline Sync Tutorial

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by BlindBison, Nov 2, 2018.

1. belmonkey

belmonkey Guest

GPU:
    Rx 470
    @RealNC

Darn, it sounds like I might have some issues then because I'm trying to push graphics as high as possible (so higher GPu usage). Maybe that's why scanline worked so well in an old game like Oblivion. Maybe I should just stick to 30 fps RTSS cap and in-game V-sync for demanding games?

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Yep. Scanline sync does place a high requirement on GPU. It needs some headroom. Older games work extremely well with it.

30FPS cap on 60Hz vsync though is not bad, latency wise. You do get some hiccups, but latency is quite low.

(The best option though is to get a Freesync display :p)

3. belmonkey

belmonkey Guest

GPU:
    Rx 470
    Yeah I'm just trying to get the most out of what I have atm. I plan on playing on a TV with a controller a bit, so it's nice having some of these options for stable console-like performance. I just wish all this performance capping stuff could be managed through Steam's BPM for ease of use for everyone. I think I might try forcing enhanced sync globally, and have RTSS start on boot with a 60 fps cap, and I can just manually change settings for games I want to play uncapped or with 30 fps.

4. belmonkey

belmonkey Guest

GPU:
    Rx 470
    I dunno if it's related to Rivatuner or not, but when I lock a game to 30 fps, why does it have dips / stutters to 29 fps when the game never dips under 30 fps without any cap? The game was Skyrim SE though, and I've been wondering if games capped to 60 because of the game engine have any weird quirks with fps caps, or if external ones like Rivatuner still add Input lag to them. Does scanline sync at 0 (or even just an fps limit) have any performance hit?

5. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Hey guys, just tried the new scanline sync method, im using it on black ops 4 for 1080p @60hz, the weird thing is, whatever value i use for s-sync (-20 or -60 or even -1) i have never see one time a tearing, is that not weird? im sure have disabled v-sync, cuase when i set s-sync to 0, the fps get unlocked and go up to 100+, so i should see tearing sometimes thats strange ...
    Do you have any idea? i was using the blurbuster method before, use v-sync and cap fps at 0.006 less than the real refresh rate of my monitor and im not sure the scanline method give less input lag, at least i dont feel it. But by using different valu in scanline sync i should see the tearing sometimes right? ive actually never see it ....

when i open the blackops 4 file setting from rivaturner i got his value:
    Limit=0
    LimitDenominator=1
    LimitTime=0
    SyncScanline0=-20
    SyncScanline1=0
    SyncPeriods=0

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    No, there's no perf hit. As for latency, RTSS can reduce latency, but will not increase it. If you cap a game that when uncapped saturates the GPU completely, the RTSS cap will result in lower input lag.

I'm not aware of Skyrim having any issues with frame cappers. Have you disabled the game's vsync and 60FPS cap in its ini files? It will produce stutter otherwise. You need to force vsync in your driver control panel instead.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @bapt33

Are you sure you're running the game in exclusive fullscreen and not borderless? Also, try something like "100" to see if the tear line becomes visible then.

8. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    i play the game in full screen mode, i will try the 100 value for s-sync. thanks.

9. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    ohh nice, by setting 100 i can see tearing fixed on the top of screen, but it seems like i get less input lag, do you agree? so for you what is the best value i should use?

My logic (your logic) tell me to reduce the s-sync value until i dont see the tearing anymore
    but i can already see its not the same tearing than a classic no vsync, it is very less visible, nice job guru team !

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It doesn't matter. Input lag across the whole screen is the same regardless of where the tear line is. The part of the image directly after the tear line is 0ms old, the part directly before it is 16.7ms old. So the average of the whole screen is 8.3ms of latency. It doesn't matter where the tear line is. However, if you move the tear line to the center of the screen, that means that part below the line is 0ms, while the part above it is 16.7ms. So in that sense, year, it matters. But the average is always the same.

So if you hide the tearline, that means the top of the screen is 0ms, and the bottom is 16.7ms. The middle of the screen is 8.3ms. You could reduce these numbers if you had a high refresh rate monitor (like 144Hz.)

11. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    damn placebo effect XD. thanks.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Well, you're naturally focusing on the center of the screen when playing games where you aim with a crosshair, so if you move the tear line just above the center, then the center will be closer to 0ms while the other areas will be higher. Same lag on average, but lower in the center. Maybe that's what you're seeing.

13. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    i think i understand what you say, its like i see the first frames and not the seconds, in the "aim area" which traduce by a very little less input lag

EDIT: finnaly, -60 give 0 tearing, thats just insane, you just find method to kill tearing we are fighting since so many years, without vsync or what. applause

14. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    im sorry to ask you again, i see you talk about the flush setting to set to 1, cause when i use s sync on battlefield 1 i see the tearing sometimes even at - 100, so where do you change the flush setting please? thanks

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    In the RTSS install folder, there's a "Profiles" folder. Add SyncFlush=1 in the "Global" file, in the [Framerate] section.

Restart RTSS.

16. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    thanks a lot

17. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Hi, im back again, ive got a last question, do you think a too much low value of s-sync can add input lag? for example in battlefield 1 even at -160 i can see the tearing on the top of screen.
    I think its gpu load related, as you say.

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    With vsync OFF, the value does not affect input lag. It only affects the position of the tearing.

It only affects input lag if you use fast sync.

19. bapt33

bapt33 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    ok thanks, i will try to push to - 250 maybe but i think on high gpu load the tearing cant disappear

EDIT : new nvidia driver seems change the tearing position , hmmm ...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  20. belmonkey

belmonkey Guest

GPU:
    Rx 470
    I may have missed this post when asking questions before. Is x/2 S-sync functionally any different than normal sync with a RTSS 30 fps cap? And is there less input lag with S-sync=1 + Fast / Enhanced sync compared to in-game V-sync?