1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Request] Add an option to auto limit framerate while the game is in the background

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by zolw, Jul 7, 2018.

1. zolw

zolw New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Some games do it automatically (Path Of Exile), some give you the option (Grim Dawn, Civilization VI) to set a framerate limit while it is in the background - making the game preserve your resources when it is not needed. But there are many games which don't allow this, and they are running full speed while in the background even when paused.

For those games it would be great to set a max framerate (like 1) automatically when they are in the background. I tried, setting manually works, but an automatic change would be really great: this would not only keep your PC quiet, but lower your bills, and increase the lifetime of your hardware. It also gives more resources to other apps while multitasking.

2. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    Great request. It bothers me that games do this.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    +1 to that, would be a fantastic feature.

4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Yeah, if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle, then I'd like this option too!

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Ok, I'll add it as a power user oriented feature. There will be new IdleLimitTime profile entry, allowing you to define framerate limit (as a target frametime with 1 microsecond precision) for applications running in background.

RealNC, Smough, GetMax and 1 other person like this.
  6. Smough

Smough Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Hi. Hope you can help me. I have some issues with the Witcher 3 and RTSS frame rate cap. Is this because of the engine of the game or is there anything that can be done? As issues I refer to occasional hiccups and stutters that seem to increase with RTSS frame rate cap despite the game having perfect frame time there are some "hitches" or hiccups. I am using a GTX 1060 and playing the game at 60 fps.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Earlier I tried to find a solution for this but couldn't see obvious way (maybe I missed something obvious) so: Is there a way to prevent all screenshot, recording etc. actions from triggering when the program is not focused or running in background?