[REPOST] USB Audio toslink passthrough

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Dojomann, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    (wasn't getting any replies in the other section, so posting here)

Hey guys, I wanted to set up my ps3 with 5.1 surround audio.

Now, I don't have a proper receiver, but the computer is set up with proper 5.1 speakers outputting in the same room. Now, I wanted to use my computer as a receiver, but the only way to get 5.1 audio out of a ps3 is through HDMI or Toslink optical.

I was thinking if I just get a usb sound card with toslink in, can't I use that as an input and then my onboard audio as a passthrough so that it will output that 6 channel signal to my analog speakers?

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=45955&vpn=ICUSBAUDIO7D&manufacture=Startech.com Ltd

this is what I was thinking of getting (and obviously a toslink M/M cable)

Will this work?

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Nope.
    You will need a soundcard with digital decoding for the S/dif inputs. There are not many of them and I have not seen one designed for Vista or above.

You can get it to work if you have the right hardware and software BUT, you have to deal with signal latency also.

3. Dojomann

Dojomann Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275 896MB
    so basically just get a proper receiver then. Gotcha.

I'll return when I've gathered the resources to purchase one for some recommendations :)

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If your planning on using Digital audio from the PS..etc.

A PC can do it with the right hardware and software but you will probably have a very noticeable latency in the signal.

..anyway a receiver is the best choice for your situation.

5. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    You can get a good reciever for the price of a good sound card.

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    You should beable to find a Yamaha RX-V363 aorund 120-170 which what i use for my speakers with My Brauvra, It has like 2 spdif in and 1 Coxial in. As well 5.1 muiti analog inputs. It does have 2x HDMI in and 1x HDMI out but that only sends video thru those plugs