Report: New Xbox to stop functioning if Internet lost for more then 3 minutes

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by gamerk2, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Francis does rock and frankly speaks the truth on all fronts. I'm no fan boy, I own all the systems yet even with that being said, if MS pulls this im done with them, PERIOD. I read something today, I forget where but it was suggested that if MS does this they can come out with a patch to fix it.... i had to laugh at this one as internet would be needed to get the patch.... the whole thing makes me sick that it could happen.

My gut says its a "Bait and Switch" tactic to give Sony a bit of a rise till the ball is dropped at E3, that's my thought. But if i am wrong, MS will have committed the biggest sin in console history, period.

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    i'll probably go out of my way and buy a competing console even though i have no interest in consoles.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The .GIF at bottom made my week. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC

5. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  6. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
  7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Hey Microsoft this person is clever~

[​IMG]

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    It is true, and MS is already trying to defend themselves.

http://megagames.com/news/microsoft-kinda-apologizes-always-online-console-tweets

Now, while it is true that its always online, and you need internet access to even play games, the 3 minutes until the unit stops functioning is just for the Durango dev kits. This may change on the final box's, or it may not....

9. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    There got to be an offline mode?! If not,then MS is in trouble. PS4 would be the console for me anyway

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    If the next xbox does comes with a always on requirement i assume MS would have the ability to patch out the feature if it became obvious it was hindering sales of the hardwear.

Only time will tell, but its strange they have allowed such a negative buzz to gain momentum, if it was indeed untrue.

Ok now to deal with second hand games block. lol

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'm of a mind that if these rumours were totally unfounded MS would have refuted them by now, as Sony did when similar things were being said about the PS4. I hope that they turn out to be false, but I'm not holding my breath.

12. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    its just getting people talking about it, to hate the idea. MS will announce the console this summer without it and BOOM the relief from people will make more want it

not true at all. MS has never responded to rumors of any kind

13. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Nothing in that article claimed that it was true and if you actually read what MS said, you would understand what they were apologizing for. It had NOTHING to do with the subject that's being discussed in this thread. Microsoft has not announced ANYTHING about their next console, nor have they EVER responded to rumors on unannounced products so they neither confirmed or denied anything. Why don't you folks that are so intent on riding the "bandwagon" wait until something OFFICIAL is announced? Until then, it is what it is, pure speculation and rumor. And I still stand by what I said before, regardless. ;)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I WILL NOT BE BUYING ONE internet on all the time .............. nightmare I would have to play games when I use it

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    In this situation it might be in their best interests to respond to it. More so considering the ass some of their representatives have made of themselves. As for your 'not true at all' statement, I'm not sure what that's directed too considering I've stated quite clearly that I'm unsure either way.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  17. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    I just can't believe that Microsoft would make such a dumb move to make their next console always online. Have they not learned anything from the games that have tried this over the last few years with SimCity being the recent prime example of how "always on" just goes disastrously wrong.

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Too much tin foil hattery going on over this and you guys are eating this sh!t up. We don't know anything for sure. As of right now it's all FUD. Unless you have a working crystal ball in front of you that shows otherwise. In that case, mine giving me wednesdays lotto numbers. :D

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Like denying there will be Halo 3 on Steam because they don't respond to rumors AT ALL EVER BECAUSE OF REASONS.

They of course come out very quickly denying the claims regarding Halo 3 on Steam.

-----

Another interesting video, this time including a Ghost in the Shell quote which was quite interesting to see used in this context.

Dear Microsoft Regarding Always Online DRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZberPj7gI3A

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Reason being is that it's very plausable considering how we see bits of such for the PC with always online games and we know MS and Sony hates the idea of second hand sales, they would have to hate it from an accountants perspective.

Sony maybe plotting the same thing for all we really know, just havn't announced it yet, but IF either does, you know they will describe it as being some cool feature or try to make it out to be..so likely they will offer some kind of benefit to make it seem necessary, like cloud syncing save files or something offering no more corrupt or lost saves!...and the crowd in the room will clap each time they talk to the audience about the features.