Replacing my x-fi xtremegamer fatal1ty pro PCI?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Floppyflip, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Floppyflip

Floppyflip Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 2GB
    I just recently installed a wireless-n adapter PCI and its causing interference with my soundcard mentioned above.

I know its the wireless-n adapter because without it, there isn't any interference. With it... I get static, buzzes and all weird noises I have never heard before. When I click the "wireless network connection" icon on my taskbar, the static gets worse. I tried raising the PCI latency timer. Mute stuff in the soundcard I don't use.

I suspected maybe because they both are PCI sitting right next to each other (I only have two PCI slots) thus causing the interference.

So I was wondering...

If I were to buy another soundcard, let say... a recon3d PCIE, anyone with a setup (wireless adapter PCI + soundcard) like mine would vouch there isn't any problems?

I even read somewhere that the xram in the card maybe the cause of the problems so if I were to get the tone down version, "x-fi xtremegamer PCI" version, will it be a good idea? (I still play games that utilizes EAX extensions and if I am not wrong, the x-fi sounds better).

I am using my onboard in the meantime which apparently has no problems.

Opinions much appreciated :)

2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    You could get an OEM X-Fi Titanium PCI-e version. That one doesn't have the full 64MB X-ram, only 16MB AFAIK. The card number is SB0880. The OEM Titanium isn't very expensive as well.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    why not just get a usb network adaptor,less than £10 on ebay

4. S†v0r

S†v0r Banned

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    what if you tweak NIC settings a bit?

I had pci netgear NIC and i could hear like robotic sound at times, usually it happened only if there was high network traffic/me downloading or uploading.

When i tweaked few settings it went away (99%), HPET helped too.

[​IMG]

5. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    My PCI Express soundcard was imo faulty because it didn't slot in correctly and when I screwed it down normally, it must have been not sitting in the slot properly... This then caused one of my graphics cards (closest one to it in sli) to go, and my onboard network adapter to go... I worked out that it stuffed the PCI Express lane, which the graphics card and network run on... :(

I modified the soundcard to fit properly in the slot now, but as I said it fried the onboard network and one of my graphics cards... :(

All I can say is be careful.

regards,
    RagDoll.

6. Floppyflip

Floppyflip Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 2GB
    I thought of that too but decided not to because I was afraid the actual transfer rate of my USB2.0 will hinder my internet speed which is around the 50mbps rate.

I will try that and report back :)

Will be careful when I do decide to get a PCIE soundcard. :)

7. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    Don't waste your money on another card, my old xtreme gamer did the same thing.

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    Another option would be the X-FI Titanium HD PCi-E if you dont need 5.1 analog as amazon usually have deals for them, you might even find a refurbished one for $99 if your lucky. No its not the same as the normal X-Fi Titanium that people some times get it confused with because of the name. Its a audiophile grade sound card.

But yea you can get a X-FI Titanium (Non HD) PCI-E off amazon for $64 dollars if your on a budget. Also you might be able to find a Auzentech X-Fi Forte on ebay cheap if your lucky.

Getting another card isn't a waste of money,unless you have cheap speakers or cheap headphones. As a sound card would be a improvement over on-board audio for sound quality. Don't give me the "on-board sound just as good as sound card line" because they don't.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  9. Floppyflip

Floppyflip Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 2GB
    I was thinking of getting the X-Fi Titanium (Non HD) but I was afraid that the weird static issues I got with my current X-Fi PCI will be prevalent among the X-Fis. I was hoping for someone with a Wireless PCI adapter + Any X-Fi PCIE soundcard Setup to clarify those doubts.

And if I do get the Titanium (Non HD)... Would it be better if I get the Recon3d PCIE if it was the same price. You know... new technology and stuff?

Some say the Recon3d is awesome, some say not. The one thing I am really interested in the card , is it's implementation of EAX5 through Alchemy.

Hardware or software? Both the same quality or cheap software conversion? :book:

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    Some like their Titanium's (non HD) over the Recons, then some like their Recons over the Titanium non HD. the major pro is the Recons having a in-graded headphone map. Tho they don't say what the voltage output is at the maximum headphone amp setting.

11. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I have the Recon3d, which is really great if you are mostly concerned with playing games (and more modern games, I might add). My Titanium HD finally just shipped, and I will be doing a rigorous comparison between them when it arrives. I will go ahead and post my impressions ITT if you like.

They both have shields, although I doubt the effectiveness of their electromagnetic deflection and suspect they are mostly for show and protection of their components from fat, greasy Doritos hands and screwdrivers, rather than EMR. Still, might be worth a shot over buying the non-HD Titanium, which incidentally,I just sold on eBay this weekend for $52. I did end up preferring the Recon3d over it, for gaming anyway, which is what this PC is for. The Fatal1ty Pro does also have a shield, although it looks an awful lot like plastic to me.

Anyway, if all else falls through, might he not try this:

http://www.frys.com/product/6383531?source=googleps

It might not be as good as a soundcard but surely it's still better than onboard?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    DirkHardpeck once you start swaping op-amps you will never stop ;)

13. Floppyflip

Floppyflip Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 2GB
    I finally got a X-FI Titanium PCIE Non-HD and would like to say its worth it.

I had been temporary using my realtek onboard ALC889 and after replacing it, I seriously can tell the difference.

Awesome hardware but horrible software support. A pity this company would have gone way far then they are if they would just try.

14. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I'm back to using Recon3d because it's the opposite: awesome drivers paired with horrible hardware. In modern games i can barely tell the difference in raw fidelity though.

I will buy the sh*t out of a card using the same software and hardware more on the level of the HD. One can dream.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    Maybe if creative hears you loud enough if Auzentech Doesn't make another card based on the chipset.