replacing board with different chipset. have doubt.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by avivoni, Oct 22, 2014.

1. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    my gigabyte 880g am3 board is no longer working so im searching for a replacement but locally i can only find amd boards with the 760g chipset and i think i saw 990 but not sure.. i have a 1100t cpu. i am looking for the most affordable board as i do not intend to overclock and it to be micro atx or the smallest form factor possible. please suggestions on models are welcome.

2 questions.
    -specs state the cpu is AM3 socket. does it matter if the board is am3+ or does it have to be am3.?

-by changing board with different chipset will i have to re-install windows? or should i look harder for a 880g am3 board so i can just plug the drives and boot.

2. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    That's a 125W TDP cpu, most 760G motherboards can only handle 95W cpu's, so you need something better. No problem, you can get an AM3+ motherboard

3. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You dont have to reinstall windows. But it helps to start off clean.

I would get the 990FX, no point in going with an old one to save a few bucks.

5. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    thanks not having to re-install windows is great as it was basically a fresh install but has tons of data on the drive i dont want to loose. or have to reconfigure.

i cannot find a 990 at a price i want or in microatx. its not a main rig board, its to replace the microatx 880g board i had on an arcade cabinet. it does not need to have all the latest gadgets nor needs to overclock well. i just need it to be compatible with the 1100t.

6. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Be careful, theres a few 95W X6 models..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  7. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
  8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's your budget? Newegg has a better selection than TD imo, plus u could always go 2nd hand.

9. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    im looking for a 50'sh board. i was searching tigerdirect cause they have a store near me. ive also searched on local ads but no luck there yet. i also need to find an x58 board wich are no longer sold so this has to be second hand, and 2 PSU's because i dont want to use the same psu again as i suspect this is what damaged both my motherboards.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's wrong with them?

I don't know much about X58's but I recently got my mate a Sabertooth and it rocks. First choice was ROG Rampage but that was DOA, both 2nd hand of course.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

11. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    you will however have to rearm/reactivate windows. easiest way is over the phone. instructions will pop up when you first re-boot with new board.

12. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    only on some machines .. only happens to machines with oem certificates i think and or intel to amd chipsets or visa versa .. intel to intel or amd to amd is fine