Replacement VRM heatsink for 6950

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dove, Sep 15, 2011.

1. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    I'm eager to buy an Accelero Xtreme Plus II for my Powercolor 6950. It's not a reference card as you can see from this picture and also these comparing a reference and non-reference MSI 6950 (which seems to have the same layout as my Powercolor), but although the GPU appears to be further to the right, this will just mean that the AXPII extends further off the end of the card, which won't be a problem as I'm building a custom case for this PC.

What I need advice with is the VRM heatsinks. The stock heatsink, as shown in the picture, appears to be a copper one, so that might be sufficient and it might be best to just leave that in place. Alternatively, the Gelid enhancement kit might be an option, although the picture of the MSI 6950 seems to show only 4 VRMs with small components in between, which is quite different to the reference card which seems to have 8 VRMs, so I'm not sure the Gelid would be compatible.

Otherwise, I could get some Enzotech MOS-C1 copper heatsinks as shown here (again I think I'd only need four of them). I'm concerned about the heatsinked VRM in the upper-left shown in that picture, as it doesn't appear to be present in that location on the Powercolor/MSI non-reference cards, so I need to know whether it's actually absent on my card, or just moved elsewhere as I don't want to start using the card without a heatsink on this component and burn it up

Sekisui thermal tape seems to be recommended for attaching these heatsinks and I guess I'd use that on the RAM heatsinks as well, as the paste supplied with the AXPII doesn't appear to be great. I'll probably just use the AXPII RAM heatsinks, as I'm less worried about the temperature of the RAM than the VRMs (the CHiL controller on the Powercolor doesn't support VRM temperature monitoring!), although I might look for some of those Thermaltake copper RAM heatsinks.

I'd welcome recommendations for where to get the Sekisui tape (I know it's available on e-bay, but if anyone's found certain suppliers to be reliable or can advise exactly what size/type of tape to get that would be helpful).

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    That VRM heatsink will sufice and its enough for that vrm , no need for replacement , i have a non- reference HD6950 1GB on my spare PC and it haves that same lay out and similar VRM heatsink althought made out of aluminum , i have the VGA overclock 950/1400Mhz 24/7 with only 1.18v with MSI After Burner but with a MCW-80 H2O Block on it , no heatsink on memory , but i have a 120 fan directly blowing air to the memory and vrm area , the VRM never goes beyond 48c under load. My advice keep the one that came with the card , it does a nice job.

3. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How are you measuring the VRM temps? My card only has temp sensors for the gpu/shad/mem

Fwiw I get 35c/58c with 880/1350 clocks...with fan @34%

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

5. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    Thanks. That reassures me that the existing VRM heatsink is good enough, which I'm happy about as it's one less thing to mess about with (and therefore one less potential mistake!)

I've got mine (shader unlocked of course) on 920/1375@1.175v at the moment and don't plan to try and push it any higher. When I tested with Furmark, 10% Powertune pushed the system draw from 277W to 307W AC but going to 20% PT didn't make any difference. I haven't seen any evidence that performance increases in any games when increasing PT anyway, so I intend to leave PT at 0% and only expect my power draw (and hence VRM temperatures) to stay at reasonable levels.

6. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    Thanks but they don't actually make a 6950 compatible one. Apparently the R4 can be modded, but I decided it wasn't for me a while ago (for reasons of cost and space mainly).

7. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    Yeah, the CHiL controller on my Powercolor doesn't report VRM temperatures either (or at least no-one knows how to read it and GPU-Z and other apps can't show it), but reference cards (and obviously some other non-reference cards) have a different controller which GPU-Z, etc can read.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Hola my friend , i have a non-reference XFX HD6950 1GB model that cannot be unlocked ( stays at 1408 shaders) on my spare rig , it has a shorter PCB and wider than my reference Asus HD6950 2GB unlocked to 1536 shaders. On this XFX model it shows the temps for the actual GPU , PCB and VRM using the latest GPU-Z version , usually the temps are like this temp #1 (GPU) - 29c , temp#2 (PCB) - 31c , temp#3 (VRM) 34c while iddle. i do not know what controler its use for the VRM , my reference Asus HD6950 2GB uses the Voltera vrm controller , but i cannot read the very small markings and letters of this new non reference chip VRM controller on this XFX HD6950 1GB Model so i cannot tell you what it is using for VRM chip controler , but it can read the VRM temps for sure via GPU-Z or any other temp. monitor software.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    You might want to check that the VRM temperature is accurate (maybe with an IR thermometer) as 48c at load seems very low, and usual temperatures seem to be around 70-90c.

I was chatting with someone else with an XFX non-reference card (which he says has a CHiL controller) on the GPU-Z forums and his VRM temperatures seemed rather low as well, but at least yours move, whereas mine is stuck on 26c!

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    This is my readings of the VRM under load 47c , iddles at 39c and minimum reads 36c , and i just found out if uses the Chil 8214 VRM Chip Controller as per hwmonitor :D, i fired up DiRT3 game and ran the in game benchmark with hwmonitor open recording the temps , i also used my thermal probe UEI 304 directly on the the heatsnik and very close to the VRMs itself , the meassurements are nearly identical of what hwmonitor reports , so yes it is reading and working correctly and acuerately , bare in mind i have a dedicated 120 high cfm fan dedicated to cooling the VRM area and memory chips on my card , hence why it keeps it so cool , the stock VRM heatsink does a great job of keeping that area cool also , my GPU its under water MCW-80 Block. Good luck with yours and hopefully you will get acurate temps. reading like mine.

[​IMG]
    By chispy at 2011-09-16

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

11. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB

That's cool then (literally!). Good to know it's working properly. I'll have to see if hwmonitor tells me what CHiL controller I've got, as mine's definitely not working. I guess Powercolor could have decided to save money by removing some component that stops it working, but if not I should probably return it as faulty.

12. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    As the AXPII doesn't seem to be available yet, I'm looking at getting the Xtreme 5870 instead, which seems like it should be compatible and is cheaper at £34.

I know it doesn't come with right heatsinks for my 6950, but as I'm going to use the existing VRM heatsink I can just buy some nice copper RAM heatsinks rather than the Accelero VRM-001 kit.

The only thing that concerns me is whether the fan header on my 6950 is compatible with the connector on the Xtreme 5870. From this picture it looks like my 6950 has a three-pin connector, with one pin missing, which doesn't look the same as the connector on either the reference 6950 or non-reference MSI shown here, which look more like the 5870 header as shown here.