replace hdd or not is the question

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by tsunami231, Sep 13, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    ST3500413AS

current drive it does have bad sectors and accord to most hdd programs at 83% to it life and all warn me of failure for about 3 years now and been meaning to replace it before it dies , I meant to replace when i rebuilt my pc but never got around to it those speeds are about correct 60/70mb seem more typical with peaks around 100 when i test it. I have 180gb left on this drive would have much less if i installed witcher 3 and deus ex md. and countless other games i been meaning to play.

I general defrag it or well just the Swtor directory using a mydefrag script i made on patch day other wise game runs much worse which probably every 3 week for about 32gbs of data, other wise i only do full defrag once ever few months or after uninstall and bunch games to install bunch of other games. which much less frequant.

Toshiba P300 2TB for 49$ 2 year warranty
    or
    Seagate Firecuda 2TB for 89$ 5 year warranty

P300 is much faster as pure mechanically drive the Firecuda should be equal to my 840 120gb speeds when it was in Sata II which was about 220~250mb when the SSD cache is used on the firecuda, thing is i been read alot reports on firecuda ssd cache failing or stop working with in weeks of getting , or how cache is failing to work on boot for when used as boot drive which same as the cache failing anyway.

I leaning toward the Firecuda solely cause of the warranty, but P300 is faster as pure mechanically and cheaper. drive solely gonna be backup/game drive,

What you's all think? recommendations? Would love SSD but i not paying 200~300$ for 1 tb SSD or 400~600$ for 2 tb sdd.

price isnt worth it to for drive that solely used for games that load faster then there console counter parts which all i care about, or playing my mp3's, rest files on it of my document stuff, or software i have on the drive for when I have to do clean install of windows. or my emulations collection which dont really care much about the speed of the drive all which really rarely used. most usage of the drive comes from swtor and few games i have installed

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    Any specific reason you made your text white? Because I sure can't read it.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    errr... i use the dark theme and once i added a link and started typing link continued and when I tried fix that the font color started going weird. I think links have to be added AFTER everything is typed or links get wierd along with fonts. or maybe i doing something wrong

re typed it all it should be read able now

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Honestly I would pass on seagate.
    Way too many failures in the 2-3tb range.

Toshiba would be ok.

I'd be prepared to replace your drive ASAP.
    It's usually a downhill thing with failing sectors.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660gtx sig2
    it been 83% life for year 3 + and bad sectors been the same in all this time.

I really torn I have always used seagate and never had one fail on me, then again the one i using is from before whole FW fiascoes that started the failure thing that accord to people have not stoped. maybe there newer drive are not good as there old ones.

I like 5 year warranty, would like WD Black, but i not sure i really want to pay the prices for 2tb and P300 has similar speeds but 2 year warranty

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017