Rendering Device Lost - Error

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dk_lightning, Nov 27, 2017.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    I have been having this particular issue for a long time now.

I get this exact error in Overwatch all the time. Sometimes I can go a whole day without it and others it will happen every game. But when looking in the log the crash is happening when the game goes to setup my sound devices.. Specifically my Astro A50. But why would that cause a Render Device Lost error? I have since changed to Astro A20's. Not played Overwatch much since but the times I have played I have not had this error.

I get this error or variations of it with other games as well now starting around a month ago. Battlegrounds probably does this but I can not confirm this is the error the game is giving when it crashes.. and it does it a lot as I have not bothered to look at any logs. Civ V Also crashes with a similar "GPU Lost" error. While other games like LoL and NS2 seem completely fine.

I just cant track down the cause. I am tempted to switch back to Windows Seven just to see if the crash follows me there.

I have tried stressing the GPU with Furmark using DX9,10 and 11 and no crashes there. GPU temps 81c max.

I have also stress tested my ram and CPU but this was a while back to test my overclock witch also went fine.

I have re-installed Windows 10 a few times since first getting this error and it never goes away. Shame I can not recall when this started :( Might shed some light on what the cause is. At first I thought it was down to Ryzen but Overwatch was crashing even on my 3570K.

Any ideas Gurus? I am starting to get fed up with these crashes from my games and so are my friends.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Underclock core and memory for GPU by 50mhz and 100-200mhz.

Having crashes on 2 different systems points at GPU or unstable power delivery.

You could also make sure vbios is up-to-date.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Also Furmark isn't a good stability test as both AMD and NV GPU drivers have a built-in detection for it and they reduce GPU power if Furmark is running (and it's not a good testing software in the first place imo).
    In short being stable in Furmark doesn't really mean anything.

If you own the game, I've found looping Metro 2033 benchmark is a good stability test for a system as it stresses both GPU and CPU (with a realistic heavy load) and also uses your audio device so it's very game-like scenario.
    Naturally you can also bias the test more towards CPU or GPU by altering settings, mainly resolution.

Loop the benchmark 20-30 times and see if you get a crash again.