"Renderer Creation Failed" error

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Darqen Rahl, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Darqen Rahl

Darqen Rahl Guest

Ok, I just added 512 MB worth of RAM to my comp and now any time I run a 3d Graphics program I get a "Renderer Creation Failed".

System: Athlon XP1900+, Win98, GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB AGP, 1GB RAM (512 MB Prior).

I have updated my Driver and also Installed DirectX 9.0.

I have run the DxDiag to test the Direct3D and I get the following:

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)
    Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)
    Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)

I was fine this afternoon, so it happened when I installed the new RAM, but I am unsure what could've caused the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: My DxDiag also is telling me that my approx total memory is 1MB. Why is it not seeing/using all of my video RAM?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2003
  2. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    What is the maximum amount of RAM your motherboard can take?
    Remove the aditional RAM you installed to see if the system will work ok.

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Also win98 won't handle more than 512mb of ram without editing the vcache settings.This is pointless as 98 will not use the extra to any benifit.Upgrade to XP if you can which handles any amount of ram you can throw at it.

4. Darqen Rahl

Darqen Rahl Guest

I am not sure how much it will handle, I bought it about 6 months ago and it has 4 RAM slots. I assumed it would be capable of running a gig. I will have to dig up my manual. In the meantime I will remove the additional RAM I installed and see if that clears up the problem. Though I don't fully understand why that would affect my video RAM. After I messed around last night I tried a few other programs other than the one I had the original problem with. I could still run the ones that used OpenGL, but not the Direct3D ones. Upgrading to XP is something that I was considering doing anyway, I will check into that if removing the RAM clears up the error. These were pretty much my next steps in troubleshooting, but it's good to hear them from someone else as well. Thanks for the help.

5. Darqen Rahl

Darqen Rahl Guest

Ok, I think I am even more pissed off now. I removed the RAM from my motherboard. BTW, It is an Abit KT7A, and according to my manual it only has 3 RAM slots and is capable of handling 1.5GB, even though it does have 4 slots. So, anyway, I removed the RAM and the problem vanished. DirectX is seeing my video RAM properly, and my Direct3D programs work. Why? I ran my old motherboard (Abit BH6 w/Celron 333 overclocked) with 640MB and never had one problem. I had heard that Win98 couldn't do anything above 512MB, but all the research I did before buying the additional memory suggested that the upper limit for Win98 was 2GB. Plus, since I had run with over 512MB prior, I was confident that my newer MB/Chip would be able to handle it. I just don't understand why it only affected the Direct3D aspect of my video. I will be looking into picking up XP this weekend, but I would still appreciate and explaination if anyone has one to offer. Again, thanx for the assistance.

On a side note, while downloading my manual for the MB I found an updated BIOS that mentioned a fix for the GeForce 4 Ti 4x00 and WinXP. I have heard that updating the BIOS is a pain. Is this true? I was thinking of downloading the new BIOS and see if that helped rectify my problem first before spending the additional money on XP. Suggestions?

6. shaolin95

shaolin95 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX480 / XFX GTS250
    Actually is very simple and someone already mentioned it. For W98 and more than 512MB you have to limit Vcache maximum size to 512MB or Windows will get nuts since it is not designed to handle more than 512MB. And as someone said before, W98 does not take advantage of anything beyiond 512MB so the only use for using the vcache "fix" is for people with dual OSes.
    Regards

7. n00b-T

n00b-T Guest

maybe they are different speeds(I donĀ“t know,u said that u researched somethin before buying) on the memmory happened to me,all I had to do was switch mems 1to2, 2to1, and it started workin:cool:

8. SoulKlekta

SoulKlekta Active Member

GPU:
    GF6600+ PCI-X 256MbDDR
    I had the exact same problem,to the letter,I'm so sure because I still have a note of the error message DXDIAG was giving me when I tried to run Test D3D(note:DirectDraw ran fine;

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (error code)
    Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)
    Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8007000e (Out of memory)

Although in my case it occured when I installed my GF4 ?,as with Darqen Rahl,all my OpenGL apps ran sweet but Direct3D apps wouldn't even start throwing an error about no compatable device detected.

Now as you may realise this was far from what I had expected from my nice new shiny and expensive! graphics card.

In the end I resorted to tracing my steps backward to the point of installation and tracked it down to a tab that the 'new' coolbits.reg (the 1 for 4x.xx+ Detonators) had installed,the AGP tab which allows you to enable/disable Fast-Write etc.

I still am not 100% sure if this was the cause but I have AGP FW enabled in my BIOS & also had it enabled on this AGP tab.
    I disabled it on the AGP tab and the problem dissapeared.
    There is something to do with PCI Texture Memory as well but.