Removed Spyware - Now Internet wont work & delay on exe's

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Zenno, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Zenno

Zenno Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800 GS
    I just got rid of an adware trojan I had, and now I'm having some major problems with my PC.

After startup, there is a long freeze of 5-10 minutes before any .exe files will run. Browsers, ventrilo, chat programs i've all tried and they have the delay, but there is no delay with the start menu, ms config, text files opening....

After 5-10 minutes is up, everything that I tried opening all pops up at once, like it took awhile to finally come thru. After this point everything opens immediately how it should. This does not happen when I boot in safe mode, only normally, but with a clean boot I have no idea why.

What's worse is the internet is not working. If I go to Network Connections it does not even come up.... so what I have to do is go thru explore to get to it, the.en when I try to repair it tells me "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action can not be completed - Renewing your IP address. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network", but it says this pretty much instantly so I'm pretty sure it does not even try to. When I look at the IP address it has in status, it is a way different address than mine, and it says "Automatic Private Address". Not sure where it is getting this IP from but I think this may have something to do with the trojan.

I tried manually setting my IP, and after I do that, repairing the connection seems to work as it renew's the IP, but nothing can still connect to the internet.

I'm on the laptop now so I'm sure the internet connection itself is working fine

I'm not sure whats interfering with my PC, but I used HijackThis to find out the names of the files that antivirus could not remove, and manually removed them with the recovery console. I set up a clean boot after that, so I'm fairly sure that all the malware has been removed. I just think the trojan screwed with my settings somehow and i have to un-do the damages.

Any ideas on how i can fix the internet or remove the delay? Internet is a priority, as the delay is annoying but I can at least live with having to wait 5 min till everything works correctly, lol

:bang:

(Edit : I dont know how this is related, but I just noticed the format for my clock has changed. I used to have it in 12-hour intervals, and now it is by military time, and when I point at it, it syas the date in the format "2008-08-17". when it used to say august 17 2008. )

(2nd Edit : Oh, I should probably add that I tore my room up looking for my windows XP cd to reformat after trying to deal with this, but I cant find the damn thing, so that is out of the question too... I'm really at a loss for what I could do... )

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Before I read your second edit I wanted to recommend to reformat and reinstall your OS. I guess, another option would be to restore to a previous restore point in case you haven't tried that yet.

You could also go into msconfig and disable everything in the startup tab. Then restart and see how it goes. If everything is fine, enable one item at a time and restart in between in order to find out what is causing this...

3. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Startup the system in safemode with networking If the net works in there something is just hijacking ur net connection in normal mode

Go to http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html and download SpybotSearchandDestroy and run the updates for the program and then let it do a scan

Also when done run a Hijack this and post the log on here

4. RyPaul

RyPaul Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTS 450 1024M
    If this is windows xp

Try doing this
    Do the msconfig suggestion above and disable startup Items
    Reboot
    Click start then run and type cmd and press enter or hold the windows key and press R then type cmd and enter.
    Do the msconfig suggestion above and disable startup Items
    type in "netsh winsock reset"
    then type "netsh firewall reset"
    Reboot
    If you have an antivirus installed now would be a good time to try and reinstall it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008