1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remnant: From The Ashes (Division meets Souls?)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Jul 24, 2019.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    This game looks very cool if you like loot shooters and / or SoulsBorne games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/617290/Remnant_From_the_Ashes/

https://www.remnantgame.com/en/about/

Should release August 20 on PC, XBOne and PS4.

This could become my next top game if it delivers what it looks to be like.

Game uses a Diablo style system where layouts are procedurally generated on each play so less grinding same looking areas.
    Quests are handcrafted though so not completely random, just level layouts change.

I watched a gameplay video and combat seemed very smooth and satisfying. Environments range from city streets to alien temples!

spajdrik likes this.
  2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Since you didnt post any gameplay video..

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Link to the video mentioned in first post if anyone's interested:

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    There are really weird and annoying frame drops in the video with certain actions (and i dont mean the forced slow downs to show something), hope they figure that out at release...

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeah noticed that too, hopefully will be sorted by release.
    Would also like to see some specifics about the PC version, information is skimp atm with less than a month to release.

6. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Jesus that vignette effect is really strong.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Only two days till release!

Here's a good look at actual gameplay and character creation etc., so far so good I think. Ofc minor "spoilers" for the beginning part of the game.

8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Games looks cool, but im gonna wait for some updates.

9. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Game is def. not worth 40 bucks. Most awful level design i ever saw. Whole levels look the same, thats just fucking lazy. And with so many levels and sublevels and dungeons looking like almost 100% the same, you get lost so fast!
    Also a lot of bugs which area really annoying, like not beeing able to speak with vendor and quest npcs at hub in base. Graphic glitches, crashes. Almost no weapon drops (even less if you dont find the secret ones!), and if, they are mostly the same kind. Same with armor. Only 3 classes in a 4 player coop game. I could go on and on with that list. The game gave away so much potential to be a really good game, but its only like max. 70/100. Now its only decent if it all and like i said, def. not for 40 bucks! For 20 it'd be okay..

I played like 20hours in coop. I also wouldnt call this game souls like, you dont even get a penalty for dying, lol! Most of the enemies and bosses are almost copy/pasted from other games. Like DS of course, Doom, and other games in that genre. (I dont want to list them all now :p)

One thing i forgot to mention. The game is not scaling! Thats very hilarious. I dont know whats going on with the devs brains, but playing alone is almost impossible, due to that fact. The game is really cheesy and is not meant to be played alone. They are throwing so many enemies towards you, just playing alone is very frustrating. Its already annoying with 3 people in coop and that crap alone? Srsly, thats another fucked up thing in that game.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/remnantgame/comments/crs0i3/level_scaling_information/

Ok, so different scaling. Still. Its throwing the same amount of enemies at you, and thats the thing which is crap. Cos of your low ammo weapons and low reload skill, even the class. If you play Hunter alone, lol, have fun with your upgraded sniper and pistol only to kill massive waves.

Some other basic features which are missing from the game:
    -no ingame chat
    -no ingame voice (ok, you can use ts/discord, still, for public..)
    -no keybinding (except ini)
    -no fov and other options missing (again, only in ini) - not taking about graphics, that you can change.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  10. spajdrik

spajdrik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RX 5700 Gaming
    Thanks, skipping this :)

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Oh crap, sounds pretty bad. Especially as I was going to play this solo mostly.

Perhaps from sale after patches and more variation / content then, if things improve.

Guess I'll grab Division 2 from CDKeys for less, instead. Maybe.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti

AsiJu and cerebus23 like this.
  13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    seems almost like levels being ok or awful is down to the RNG of the generation.

he even says in his review his first time through the one area the game threw the same design at them over and over. and implied that later runs the level "design" was much improved because the seed got lucky.

too many bugs and lacking features though RNG like drags the whole title down. seems time will help this game the most and maybe if they can tweak their seeding to exclude some of the more basic levels rolls.

not a bad effort though.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yeh hopefully a few patches will sort the issues out. Balancing often needs tweaking too so at least now the devs have a point of reference from which to work.

Sale purchase pretty certainly. Meaning I'm pretty certain I will buy this when on sale :)

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    So bought this and have played 7 hours so far, solo.

I must say I've been happy with the game!

Combat is great and even if this isn't really a looter-shooter in the same sense as eg. Division (gear system is more akin to Souls), there's still gear, mods and attributes to tinker around with buildwise.
    Plus not having gear drop all the time makes actually finding something new exciting.

Game is challenging (and at times frustrating yes) for a solo player definitely but it comes down to choosing the right tactic and loadout / mods pretty much.
    Having said this I'd say if you're going to play solo, and even if you aren't, choose Hunter as starting class. Even if this is against "popular" opinion.

Hunter Rifle is by far the most effective starting weapon, accurate, can shoot 9 times in rapid succession without reloading, high damage.
    Also Hunter gear set gives you a 25 % ranged damage boost from the get go when shooting at targets further than 15 m.

Ex-Cultist Coach gun has higher damage but it's basically a long barrel shotgun with narrow spread so you often do less than rated damage per shot (due to spread), unless close, and have to reload after 2 shots.

Scrapper is a close-range / melee combat class but you really don't want to let enemies close (at first).
    The Hammer is slow to use and I found the faster swinging melee weapons of Cultist / Hunter much more useful in taking down low level enemies up close.
    Especially Hunter's Sword as it swings in quite a wide arc in front of you.

Haven't had any real issues or bugs, except once getting stuck in geometry. You can rebind keys now via Controls menu too and there's a FOV modifier in graphics options.

The first boss fight was bit of a shocker (Shroud for me) because of the spamming attacks nature and consistent low tier enemies harrassing you.
    However push past that (or play in coop for a while) and once you level up and gain a bit of experience, the game becomes more enjoyable. So far at least.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Btw good tips for the game (some spoilers obviously if you want to discover everything for yourself):

Recommends Ex-Cultist as starting class though, but mainly due to starting Trait. Which is a good point definitely.
    So perhaps consider Ex-Cultist but I still recommend using (buying) Hunter Rifle until you find better, later game weapons.

Or just go grab the SMG as tipped :)

short range though, by my experience for a starting solo player being able to take down enemies from a distance effectively is somewhat crucial as you can't afford to run around everywhere by yourself

I'd like to add one tip myself:

every armour piece contributes to your total Armor value equally, it's just a straight sum of Armor values from head+torso+lower body.

However head pieces and trousers require less scrap and iron to upgrade than chest pieces, but give pretty much equal increments to Armor on upgrades.
    So begin by upgrading your head piece and trousers first when you're upgrading Armor. Also chances are you'll soon run into another set you want to use at this point.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019