Remembering the Old

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Netgamer, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    WHAT>? speak or spell correctly...... WHAT?

2. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    had to love the Riva tnt2 xD [​IMG]
    Had it in my 9 year old pc along with a pent2 400mhz and 256mb pc100 ram. Hit 30fps on 1.6 ;), a beast it was

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6600XT
    WHY IT HAS AMD ON =) ?

4. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Ops, wrong verb, english is not my native language :p

Im trying to say I canĀ“t explain better < very true LoL

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Awesome! These are some full-blown server cards for sure :D

6. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    OxB800-OxBFFF was the 16k color screen buffer in upper memory (OxB000-OxB7FF was monochrome but often used to exceed the 640kb memory limit...back when an additional 16k of RAM was a big deal and we made damn good use of it) ;)

7. fclage

fclage Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    I'm glad to see that there are still people that actually KNOW how a computer works ;)

This is also the proof that Bill Gates never said anything like "640k should be enough" when he made DOS since that 640k limit was imposed by the VGA's buffer at address 0xA000-AFFFF (640k-704k).
    If you had a CGA or Hercules, then your DOS (contiguous) memory would be at the most 736k (limited only by the required text buffer at 0xB800) and not limited to 640k anymore (assuming that you had enough memory for that).

If Bill Gates ever said anything similar to that it would be something like "1MB should be enough" since the DOS system was limited to 16 kb blocks in 16-bit addresses, so all execution data must be stored within the 0x0000-0XFFFF in 16k block sizes (first megabyte of RAM).

Just a lesson from an "old timer" to new guys that only learned computers with "Windows" (or any other graphical interface) already on it ;)

// FCLage

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  8. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oh I remember when just to have a screen at all was a big deal lol my first year in computer science in college we entered programs onto paper tape with a keypunch machine and that was then transferred via teletype to the computer at the university several hundred miles away and a week later we would get the results back on the teletype's dot matrix printer. It was a very painful learning process when you had to wait another week just to correct a simple syntax error.

The next year the school bought some used Datapoint computers with a little monitor built into the desk-sized unit...I think it was like 40 characters wide and 4 lines high but WOW...and a hard drive storage that would crash if you looked at it wrong :)

9. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Ahh, my first card for a gaming rig was a Riva TNT2 8MB !!

[​IMG]

I had a PCI card in my VERY FIRST computer, but I don't remember what it was.

10. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    ^ there was no 8mb riva tnt 2's
    lol thats a 64mb card

11. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I had a dual head ISA card... I will need to see if it still exists in the confines of the pc graveyard at my parents house... This thing had a whole 1mb of vid ram! :p Wish I could remember who made it, but that was too many years ago...

I don't think Matrox made ISA cards...

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    As far I remember, there were some value Riva TNT2 Vanta cards with 8MB. Most M64's were 16 or 32MB though. I had an M64 for one week at one point, and it has to be one of the worst cards I've ever had.

13. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EAH6850 DC V2
    Bad experience with a TNT2 M64 John? too bad i had this card and i totally loved it, i was able to play Half Life and Unreal Tournament maxed out! it gave me beautiful graphics and amazing FPS compared to the sh!tty SiS 620 IGP i had those days.

14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yes. I had to use one temporarily (borrowed one from a local computer store) for a few weeks while I waited for a new Geforce 2 to arrive, as my Voodoo 4 4500 card refused to work properly in my (then) new motherboard. The M64 was a huge step down from the awesome Voodoo card and had crap IQ in comparison. The Geforce 2 kicked ass though!

15. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    You wanna f**king bet?!

I'll pop it in sometime and get a screenshot to proove.

... If I can find it :3eyes:

16. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Don't have to be so hostile... Relax! :p

17. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I had a Vanta which was 16MB, so I would believe him that there was an 8MB version of the TNT2, considering the Vanta is built off the same chipset I believe.

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6600XT
    Heres crap for u xD
    SO SLOW.

[​IMG]

19. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6600XT
    Here is my second computer VGA ( S3 Virge 4MB ) / BS16 ( ISA ) and LAN.

[​IMG]

Its yyber fast computer with 80MB edoram 60ns. and SIS chipset

[​IMG]

20. fclage

fclage Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    There's a quick way to end this 8MB / 16MB / 32MB / 64MB doubt of that card.
    Just post the specification of the memory chips (the numbers and letters on top of the memory) -I couldn't decipher them from the snapshot you took.

From the snapshot, you have 2 memory chips. One on the left and the other on top of the GPU.

Each memory chip should have 2 or 3 lines of sequence of numbers and letters (they should have both the same reference).
    Please post them here EXACTLY as they are printed (spaces and everything) and we'll try to interpret them.

// FCLage