Remember when

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cloudman, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Pentium II 133 Mhz... Erm, I don't remember those days. A typo maybe :) i do remember my first pentium I 133 Mhz :)

Well, movies where indeed better those days and also more original and affordable. Makes you wonder about the 'pirates' these days.

Hahahahaha, damn, the official Playstation 2 mag with the combo codes for Tekken 2. i can dream those combo's.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. eternitykh

eternitykh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
    ahahaha, yes the turbo button picture!!! good old days!!

i remember when my first computer (my dad got us, it was shared in the living room, not including ones that i have used at my uncle's house), was a back in the day, top of the line pentium 120, with 8mb of ram, which we upgraded to 32mb later, a 2mb diamond s3 trio (i think, if my memory serves me correctly), and a 500mb (WOW!! that's huge!! or so i thought then)hdd. with a 15" mag innovations crt monitor! complete with windows 95!!

yeah and then i OC'd it from 120 to a 133, this was when i was in elementary school. i didn't know it was "overclocking" i just thought "hey, if all i needed was to change a jumper and it runs faster, why not?"

hm.... it might have explained why the computer stopped booting a year after that, lol......

then i moved on to a amd k6 500, piss poor performance compared to my friend's lower clocked intels! mmm... that is when i got my first nvidia graphics card too, a TNT, then later on a TNT2, then later a geforce2 (i really dont remember....)

next new platform i used was a thunderbird OC'd to 1.4 (dont remember what stock was) boy was that thing blazing fast (and blazing hot).

then came the athlon XP system, heck i dont remember what those speeds where... and a geforce 2 or something.... (i really dont remember which vid card i had with which systems at those times... sigh)

then now looking back on my newegg history, some time in 04, i got me a prescott 2.8, a gig of corsair ddr ram, and a 6600gt, that system has been upgraded with 2gb ram and a 7600gt down the line later (around 06?). and eventually OC'd it to 3.6 or so

then i used evga's stepup and traded in my 7600gt for a 8800gts. and around 07 got my first C2D e4300 paired with (what i still use today) a thermalright ultra-120 and ran it at 3.6, and went up to 4gb ram around this time also.

maybe it was 08 or so, i upgraded to a e6600 for a brief few months, before giving it to my dad to build his HTPC sometime last year. which i upgraded to my current CPU (q8200), and just purchased my gtx470 last week.

oh the memories!! thank you!

ps: come to think of it, the rate of which computer speed advances has been quite intriguing looking back.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  3. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    "Hug your apple" was told to us in grade school to turn the AppleII-c's on. Oregon Trail was the s4i7!!! I was jealous of the guys that had 5.25" floppy drives when all I has was a cord to use my tape recorder as a tape drive to load pre-loaded cassette tapes of software onto my Timex Sinclair 100.

4. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    'ps: come to think of it, the rate of which computer speed advances has been quite intriguing looking back.'

Yeah, much more then the average men or woman needs.

So looking back even further, I remember playing pool biljarts when a friend of mine came in with a Seagate Cheeta scsi 2 HD and asked me if I wanted it. No need to say i did. Bought an adaptec scsi pci card, an Asus btx and the first gforce (1000 guilders back then, which amounts to ~700 dollars US back then. With the current crisis it will be a million $us now including the massive depreciation of the dollar ;)

Still have that system by the way... May fire it up sometime to bench lol

5. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    1000 guilders was about $400 US in 2000. Coming from a slow P233 Toshiba notebook I got an AMD T-bird 800MHz, 128 MB RAM, Geforce2GTS system in 2000. Upgraded to 1.2 GHz, 384MB the next year. That hit the spot.

6. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I remember paying the better part of $600 AU for an Asus V3800 Ultra Deluxe TNT2 32MB SGRAM video card.
    Came with TV-out, Video-in, VR Circuit, 3D Glasses, game called Zero-G and another game I can't remember the name of.
    Wearing the 3D glasses was uncomfortable, but the Zero-G game things use to look like they popped out the screen.
    Yet when playing UT or Serious Sam the game looked like you could step into the monitor.. I often would feel a cold spot on my nose only to find I had my nose touching the pc monitor tryig to look over an edge or around a corner..lol
    (that was only about 10~12 years ago)

7. progrox

progrox Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X 2GB OC
    My dad's first was a 486 with 66 MHz, and the first one I owned was a Pentium with 50 MHz. Didn't think those existed? They did.

8. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    They run the space shuttle :)

9. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    This thread is legendary! The first pc I can remember the details of was a 50mhz running Win 3.11. I upgraded from a 80mb hard drive to a 500mb thinking it was huuuuuuuge.

10. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    My first rig was a 486-DX2 with 80Mhz 16MB Ram and an old Graphics Card i don't even know the name of anymore :p but it got Win95 with a 130mb HD i think and the first game i played ever was Doom 1, yeah back then i was only 6 years old. Time Pasts away

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Does anyone else remember a DOS program called X-Tree and also X-Tree Gold? Those were staples before Windows took off.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  12. Kujah

Kujah New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 2GB
    Sadly no, nvlddmkm.

I do however remember playing Prince of Persia in DOS from a floppy disk... :) I was so bad at it, I could barely jump a single gap without falling to my death D: I have vague memories of windows 3.1 and 95. I also remember playing the original Warcraft, that was the shiz.

13. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  14. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I remember my Amstrad well, when I was six. Man my parents had fun playing on my PC, and I remember dreaming of playing on it. It was like my Lego, I learned then that parents didn't buy toys for their children to play with but for themselves.

Years later my father bought a state of the art 386 DX2, with 20MB HD, then a P1. Looking back at the past 10 years alone I'm very excited about the future, the only thing I fear is cloud computing.

15. Scerate

Scerate Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Bit out of topic but anyone remember Microsoft's Urban Assault? Man i love this game even today i got it back 98-99 with my Sidewinder Precision Pro FF :p today i don't even know a game that's that cool as this with the same Strategyelements

16. Eaglewolf4237

Eaglewolf4237 Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 9800GT GDDR3 1GB EE
    Do the 50Mhz pentiums still run the space shuttle?

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You guys round here very easily reminisce. Sooner then you realize people will be saying "Remember the GTX 480? LOL wow things have changed. And you only had like a 1TB HDD. I'll take the GTX 980 and my peta drive thanks!" or some poop.

18. Eaglewolf4237

Eaglewolf4237 Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 9800GT GDDR3 1GB EE
    Haha yeah our GTX 980's,peta drives,20 core CPU's,and DDR10 ram.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Hehe, this is funny. A friend of mine dropped an ancient PC (circa 2004 or something) that didn't work, figured I'd try to do something with it. Most of it was useless and broken, but there was one gem inside that seemed to be in pristine condition....

A Nvidia FX 5600 XT.

Lol!

20. NVJesse

NVJesse Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 560Ti Sonic
    I remember ... having my first pc, a Intel 386 then learning the "del *.*" command and rendering my computer unbootable. I still remember asking all my friends if they know anything about a "boot disk".