Remedy Shows RTX Raytraing performance cost

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 17, 2018.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Max performance for what? Do you also turn down the rest of the settings to low for 'max performance'?

Aura89 and Maddness like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I must be seeing something different here. I actually thought it looked pretty damn good. Seeing the reflections in almost everything rendered on the screen, but not even in the picture was amazing. I can't understand why there is so much negativity towards Ray Tracing. Does everyone want to stay in the dark ages, this is the future people.

pharma likes this.
  3. Depends on the game.....as long as i can run the res and textures high. AA, AF, fancy lighting and blur effects....don't care for any of it.

4. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    remember the physx ageia add on card?

tunejunky likes this.

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    a lot of the reasons i keep saying the 20xx line is a rush job from Nvidia are echoed by the game devs.
    they should've had ES running just for this kind of research months ago. and/or Nvidia should've waited on a process shrink so the higher speeds would result in a lower frame hit.

if this finding from Remedy is consistent across devs, then expect to find RT in fewer battle royale games and in more strategy games where frames/sec are not as vital.

and... it's not like AMD isn't involved in RT they are, they just haven't released anything specifically for it and they will not need RT cores.
    MS is the force behind RT and MS doesn't pick sides (except Xbox lol) between AMD and Nvidia.

6. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    You have to start somewhere when it comes to Ray Tracing. I say well done to Nvidia for this. It may not be at the Resolution that everyone wanted. AMD will definitely get into this, they have to to stay relevant in the market. There is no way they won't as Microsoft has it enabled in the latest version of Windows 10.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Time to render a full frame, as stated in the article, is 42.2ms... the raytracing effects added an ADDITIONAL 9.2ms to the time needed to render a frame.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I don't enjoy playing games at lower FPS. For some games ~60FPS is my minimum, for some others it's 90FPS. So yeah, of course we turn down or disable some graphics settings. That's one of the main points of PC gaming. You can configure graphics settings so the game runs better.

If a game that uses RT runs poorly at 1440p or 4K, and it only runs OK on 1080p, and even there it only achieves mediocre frame rates, why wouldn't I turn off RT?

MaCk0y likes this.
  9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    I'm truly confident in the optimization possibility between AI-based denoiser and lower-resolution RT workload. (see the Star Wars demo from HH with DLSS running fairly well at high resolution despite extremely expensive post-process effect like convolution bloom, and ultra high quality depth-of-field for cinematic experience etc...)
    We're still extremely early for this tech and no one can deny Nvidia is taking a risk shipping those products.
    All the implementation demos we've seen so far are rough first pass after a couple weeks with the cards, barebone drivers, early test version of windows with DXR support (as it was just released last week)...

Only time will tell, but we can already see the enthusiasm of major studios like DICE/EA (and their R&D SEED division)/Remedy/Epic Games...

I also see a lot of possibility for indie studio using unity/UE4 to get access to otherwise extremely expensive features like realtime GI, faster lightmap baking etc...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Maddness likes this.
  10. FookDat

FookDat Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX5700XT+G12+H55
    What is "Raytraing"?

11. FOFINHO

FOFINHO New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix O8GB
    This is the future, of course, a far away future. Hardware development should be working in tandem with software devs. What happened is that Nvidia surprised everybody, throwed the tech in the lap of devs out of nowhere and is hyping up the near release of games using RTX tech. By the way, in order to get this logo in the box of your game ,only to show a few scenes or locations using RT/DLSS is enough.

Why had DICE to tone down the feature in order to keep the framerate & to Improve realism? For example, think about the surfaces in video games wich are unrealistically plane so they lack the roughness of real materials. Some objects would be even interpreted as almost perfect mirrors by the card, wich combined with the already proven unbalanced HDR aproach by DICE in BF1 (never look at the sun with HDR on) can create Battlefield V: blinding company. Rotterdamn already look way too clean, specially for city ravaged by war, and with RTX on, objects like bricks and wood look too shiny.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    carnivore likes this.
  12. DrKeo

DrKeo Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 970GTX 4GB
    Isn't the whole idea of the rt and ai cores is that they run in parallel to the rasterization? So 9.2ms of work per frame from the ai and rt cores means 108fps if the rasterization part of the GPU can keep up. Sounds like if they get just a little bit more optimization, they can get 16ms in 1440p.

By the way, the noise in the demo is because its the GDC demo from March. They only shot one ray per pixel in that demo (in the final RTX version they are shooting two) and they didn't have a denoiser that they do have now with the tensor cores. So don't expect that noise in the final Control build.

13. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX560 4GB
    IGN--------------------> Too much Ray Tracing.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    From what I understand, much of the silicon is shared between raster and RT. So when you do RT, you can't do raster at the same time. And this sounds logical, since you'd have parts of the GPU do absolutely nothing in non-RT games.

15. When I first glanced at this I chuckled and thought "The IT Ticketing software" ? Remedy Ticketing Suite - now brought to you by NVIDIA with Raytracing - because tickets look so much cooler with the "accurate lighting on them... " :cool::cool:

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, they worked and were great. They were just not popular enough. nVidia took that and trashed it. With Ageia, those games did exactly what they were meant to do... play well, look awesome for time. That's definitely not something one can say about results of nVidia's tampering.

carnivore likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    So, so the RTX fails?

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I thought it's independent, just like compute, so in theory it can do what 14tflops raster + 14tflop compute + what ever tensor core perf. 100pflops?

From what I see now It's just too slow., not enough tensor cores to keep up with rtx.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    At 1st they made it look independent, But I saw video with engineer from nV who clarified what is able to run in parallel and what is not.
    31:50 - parallelism part

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    -Tj- and tunejunky like this.
  20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT/ 1070/ RX580
    This may be the future but it just isn't ready for prime time yet. We will enjoy this feature in a few generations. I see no reason for anyone to buy a 20xx series simply because of Ray Tracing when it's not even mature enough to be used yet. That is a massive hit on performance.