Reload this Page WEIRD: Computer stutters EXACTLY every hour.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gtrajectory, Aug 3, 2008.

1. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    chipset?

If the sound card does not fix anything then here is an interesting post about how the chipset caused the problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/187052-30-sound-stutters-hour

I am familiar with the nvidia chipset programs. The bundled software from nvidia has caused a problem one hundred percent of the time.

I uninstall all nvidia software and this will include the 680i driver. then I restart the computer and do a windows update and install whichever chipset and SATA driver windows update tells me to install.

I do not know what software you have with the x38 chipset. Is there a bundled software package from gigabyte? You may want to uninstall it completely if there is one there.

This post shows it was the network controller

http://www.techsupportforum.com/har...826-computer-frequently-freezes-stutters.html

here is one where it is the sata.
    http://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31541

If any of these are the problem then just installing what windows update tells you to do may fix it.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. jasur

jasur Guest

GPU:
    Gainward 8800gt (G92) 512
    Well i found my issue and resolved it.

Turned out to be the Gigabyte Raid Contoller Driver.

Uninstalled the ****er and it would BSOD on me after reboot. Safe mode the same. So i reinstalled the whole system again, minus the Gigabyte Raild Controller/Configurator driver and works a treat now.

Thing that pisses me off, that the thing upon uninstalling would BSOD my system. But glad the system is working fine now.

3. gtrajectory

gtrajectory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    How did you tried to uninstall it?

I tried to find some folder or anything with an "uninstall" option but found nothing, so im just going to uninstall it by the "uninstall" option in the device manager.

4. jasur

jasur Guest

GPU:
    Mine was located in the Add/Remove and uninstalled from there.

Upon bootup, BSOD so beware and had to reformat. But when reformatted, i installed only the High Def Audio Driver, The Latest Realtek and Intel Inf from memory.

5. gtrajectory

gtrajectory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    I've uninstalled it (from add/remove) and still is stuttering every hour (happened two times at minute 50 since restart).

Theres still something called SCSI/Raid Controller, should I delete that too?

6. jasur

jasur Guest

GPU:
    Howdy, Yeh thats the one that got me unstuck in which i had to uninstall and got Blue Screens.

7. gtrajectory

gtrajectory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    I've deleted both Gigabyte and SCSI/Raid Controller and is still stuttering every hour.

8. gtrajectory

gtrajectory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    I think you don't know what im talking about. I already deleted the "Gigabyte RAID controller", but there is still something called "SCSI/Raid Controller" appearing on the device manager. There is nothing related to RAID in the add/remove thing so you have to delete it via right click->uninstall in the device manager. I do this (didn't forces me to restart, which is weird) and it dissapears. Waited for an hour and the stutter happened. Then I restarted and "SCSI/Raid Controller" appeared again in the device manager.

What is going on?

9. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    gtrajectory, you have poured a lot of effort into this problem.

If you are finally fed up then you may want to reformat.

If you do reformat then I think you should do the following:

Disconnect the two other drives so nothing can happen to them.

Remove the Creative soundcard and just use onboard audio until things are cleared up.

Then after the reformat just install what Windows Update recommends. Windows Update will offer raid controllers, ethernet controller, video drivers, audio drivers, etc. Just use these and do not download anything else.

See if the error repeats every hour. If it is still there then you may want to go into BIOS and revert back to the default BIOS and see if that fixes it. Sometimes newer BIOS can make things worse.

Then gradually add new functions like the Creative Soundcard, the other drives one at a time and see if the error comes back. I would not download anything directly from Gigabyte. That driver should be on Windows Update.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  10. gtrajectory

gtrajectory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    No news. Maybe I really need to format.

Fuuuck.

11. gtrajectory

gtrajectory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    News:

Been two days now where I haven't experienced a single hickup. I don't know what the **** I did, or if I did something, but it seems fixed. That, or I've left the computer just when it happened, but two days are lots of hours, and I've been here now for a couple in a row.

Will report back.

12. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Wow, that is great news.

Have you taken any hardware out or removed any software? You have been working so hard on this problem that it would be difficult to specify what it was.

13. gtrajectory

gtrajectory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    Well, what I remember doing the other day is just disconecting the soundcard, and placing it again. Dunno if that had something to do about it.

14. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Was it uninstalling and reinstalling the Creative soundcard?

If it was that card then that is what happened to me.

15. gtrajectory

gtrajectory Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 3870 X2
    I can't really tell it was, but I remember getting out and in the card, so maybe.