Regular FPS slowdowns.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sendandreturn, Aug 5, 2021.

1. sendandreturn

sendandreturn Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hi,

For a while I thought it was to do with our Oculi Vr's...I have a dell six core 32gb rtx2070 on board...and in VR every 10-15 seconds, like clockwork, the fps reduces to about 10 fps, then it's smooth as silk..

Got Flight Sim 2020 outside of VR today, and there's a dev mode where you can monitor the FPS, and like clockwork, the exact same thing happens again. 50-60fps, down to 10 fps for 5 seconds, then back up, repeat , repeat/...

Got the latest NV drivers, used Process Lasso, undervolting the laptop using Throttlestop, same things happens with it off/on?

Nay ideas?

Mark.

2. Zogran

Zogran Member

GPU:
    Msi Gtx 970
    Nothing is being maxed out ? CPU/GPU/Memory/Harddisk ? Check the second tab of taskmanager.

3. sendandreturn

sendandreturn Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Nope, nothing at all....just wish there was some monitoring software I could run, to see what happens in these sub 15 fps phases

4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    It sounds like a power issue to me, any power savings settings on the laptop setup?

5. sendandreturn

sendandreturn Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thanks Passus, it' set to High Performance, turn off display /sleep at 2 hours...

6. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
  7. For Oculus headsets, you can use the Debug Tool to show current FPS and performance headroom, along with the latency for the USB or network connection and how long it takes for the encode/decode process to happen. I don't really know what could be causing this, but here's some suggestions:

1. Does the FPS drop occur when sitting in Oculus Dash? Using the Debug Tool's Performance Summary HUD to show the FPS here would be useful here
    2. Does the FPS drop occur with other games? Beat Saber is my go-to game, but it interestingly shows different FPS drop issues on Windows 11 compared to SteamVR
    3. Do you have other Windows Power modes available? From what I've seen, most laptops only show Balanced. Oculus tries to switch the power profile to High when it starts, but I don't know what happens on laptops or cases where that High profile doesn't exist. There's a command to unlock the Ultimate Performance profile; I'd try that and then select it
    4. If you can toggle Resizable BAR in firmware settings, try that. I don't know if it's available for a 2070, or if Dell would expose that setting (I have a 3060 Alienware laptop that has Resizable BAR enabled by-default, with no firmware setting to change it). I've had this be an issue specifically with Oculus on Windows 11 (would lower performance)
    5. Try disabling Game Mode. I've heard no cases of this, but one concern I had was that Windows would limit the GPU Encoder's performance with Game Mode, which probably would be fine in most cases, except Oculus Link heavily relies on the GPU encoder
    6. If you're on Windows 11, go back to 10; Oculus Link is known to be broken there (I last tried it with 22000.100). Likewise, if you're using any dev or beta Windows 10 releases (Insider), go back to default/release W10 (19043)
    7. Are you sure the FPS drops every 10-15 seconds? On Windows 11 with Oculus Link, I found that it'll work great, up until 25 seconds exactly and consistently, after which it'll become a laggy mess. With the Resizable BAR note above, it would cause Oculus Link to be a laggy mess at all times (before and after 25 seconds, instead of just after 25 seconds)
    8. Try this command to have Oculus Link use HEVC instead of AVC (you'll need to run it as admin and to restart Oculus afterwards). If it doesn't work, Oculus will automatically fallback to AVC (it's possible this only works currently with Air Link and NVIDIA GPUs):
      Code:
      reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Oculus\RemoteHeadset" /v "HEVC" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    9. Have you tried any other PCVR wireless streaming apps, notably ALVR or Virtual Desktop? This could help rule out if it's an Oculus-specific issue or something else (on Windows 11, Virtual Desktop works fine even though Oculus doesn't)
    10. In the %localappdata%\Oculus folder, there are text files. The most interesting one is the last-created Service file (during Link sessions, it will likely show in Windows Explorer as 0 KB, but it'll open in Notepad++). The Service file will look something like Service_2021-08-05_18.49.01. I'd look through that file for anything that looks bad (during the FPS drops, you might see a spam of lines like "frame dropped due to encoder backup")
    11. During the low FPS moments, I would try pressing the Oculus button on the Touch controller to bring up the Oculus Dash menu, and then press it again to return to the game. With #7, I found that with Beat Saber, it'll lag after 25 seconds, but once I double-press the Oculus button, it'll return to normal FPS, up until 25 seconds after that point.
    12. For #2, do you have multiple games/apps in Steam and Oculus clients? It may be worthwhile to test games with a native Oculus mode to see if anything different occurs compared to games using SteamVR. With #7, Beat Saber in native Oculus mode allows me to recover the FPS with #11, but if I start Beat Saber in SteamVR mode, that trick doesn't work (FPS will always be low after 25 seconds until I quit both Beat Saber and SteamVR).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2021
    sendandreturn likes this.
  8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I once had something sort of similar about 5 years ago...

My framerate (in EVERY game) would be perfectly fine for about 10-15 minutes and then it would plummet to about 10% of normal. It would only recover the FPS after restarting the (desktop) PC, but it would ALWAYS occur again after a few minutes of gaming. It was so frustrating. For weeks, I tried so many things (monitoring/drivers/updates/settings/program removals), I even swapped literally every single part out (aside from HDDs) and after all of that...

...a fresh re-installation of windows (10) fixed it. (should have tried that much sooner)
    If nothing else ends up working, perhaps give that a shot?

Airbud and DannyD like this.
  9. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I agree it could be windows needing an update or worse case re-install /reset.

Airbud likes this.
  10. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    agree also...when something is not agreeing with something else within windows re-install.

With that said!...god I would hate to do that with my current rig if something was borked!... I am currently copying/backing up files now myself for upgrade/ it sucks.

DannyD likes this.

11. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I was having big issues with rig after updating windows the other day, the solution: updated it even more today and problem sorted.
    I'm upgrading too next week but i'm keeping my windows drive intact, so many tweaks you make in windows to start from scratch again would be painful.
    I used to re-install windows quite regularly back in the day but it's a different story now.
    Hope you get your rig how you want it doggie.

12. sendandreturn

sendandreturn Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Really helpful dude, way better than Oculus Support. I just expect "better" from my six core 32gb laptop....I'll definitely go throught this list

13. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Always remember laptop parts are not the same as desktop parts

laptop parts favour low power