refresh rate in games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by soc_hexum, Jul 26, 2006.

1. soc_hexum

soc_hexum Member

GPU:
    GeForce 6800
    i just made the jump from the 8x.xx series to the 91.31 drivers

i like my refresh rate to stay at 85 no matter what program im running, and i found out how to set my desktop refresh rate to 85, but when i load a game it jumps down below 85 (not sure exactly what rate but definatly lower)

is there a fix for this? the new control panel is taking a while to get used to :frown:

thanks

2. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I think that your video card is not fast enough to run at 85 FPS in most games you should try turning off Vsync

3. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    what kinda display you using?

4. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Unstable_hero, the refresh rate is one thing, the framerate is another ;)

Soc_hexum: yours is a common thing, it happened to me too and to many more people. What happens is that your games select the first available option for the selected resolution, so that if you configure it at 1024x768 for example, it will by default start in 60Hz mode. There are several programs out there to change the default refresh rate for any given resolution, and if my memory doesn´t betray me Rivatuner can do that too. Some games do also have an option to change this (but only affects to that particular game of course :)).

Good luck!

Andrés

5. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    andrescm is right I think i misunderstood the question. Furthermore I know there is a way to lock the refreshrate for any resolution your monitor supports from the nvidia control panel. GL finding it

cl

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  6. Nave

Nave Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7800 GS EE 256MB @ 500/1400
    Make sure the refresh rate you set is supported by the monitor as well..

7. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    .the new cp doesn't have a refresh rate override panel.

most of us are hoping that it will eventually... otherwise that would be just g3y

8. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    You can still switch to 'old control panel' and set what you want or use 3rd party apps. There are so many of them, for example PowerStrip which is a good one.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    You can have the Refresh Rate Overrides with the v91.3x drivers 'cos I'm using the v91.33 drivers and have it! Just download and install the latest version of the excellent NVTray, which includes NVTweak v2.0.2 as that allows you to enable it.

10. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Maybe it´s not a missing feature but just a registry-enabled option like coolbits. Anyone knows more about this?

Also Soc_hexum for best results be sure to download the right driver for your monitor. Without it, it still works but having the proper driver optimizes the available resolutions and refresh rates for best quality.

11. nforced4good

nforced4good Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7900GTX
    no,

in the new cp, its not there at all.