Reducing input lag in bordeless mode?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Rapyer, Aug 21, 2018.

1. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd New Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    Yeah the double buffering applies to everything not running in flip mode. So every game not running dx12, for me at least all of my dx12 game bypass dwm in borderless.

1709 is the latest version where dx10.1+ game would go into flip mode too. M$ acknowledged this on reddit and I hope for a switch do enable it for every game soon™. They disabled it because of compatibility concerns :/

2. SAMI

SAMI New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I doubt MS will do anything. They never fix anything and this input lag problem has been there for years now.

Even vsync on in exclusive fullscreen mode with FPS cap feels less floaty compared to borderless window. And scanline sync is basically worthless on borderless mode cause the input lag is not eliminated at all. And there are the stutters in window mode.

3. n3v3rm1nd

n3v3rm1nd New Member

GPU:
    Aus Strix RTX 2070
    Idk why you are comparing vsync and what DWM does. Those are two different things and Microsoft started to look into this because of multiple complaints. There was a Reddit post in the Windows 10 Subreddit where an engineer asked people how the flip mode should be called and etc but who know when this will be implemented. If a game supports DX12 it will run in flip mode but there are still many games released with dx11.

4. SAMI

SAMI New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I'm comparing it with vsync to explain how bad the input lag is.

Anyway I doubt they will fix it properly. We might get flip mode for dx11. But they'll probably forget about dx8, 9 games.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Scanline Sync in Windows 7 with borderless windowed is pretty amazing when it works without issues. (Non CPU bound scenarios in my experiences)

I don't understand why Msft can't give users the control they want over how their experience is.
    FFS Exclusive Fullscreen is still broken for many titles because their god damn "Fullscreen optimizations" switch per application properties doesn't work.

6. SAMI

SAMI New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    In Nvidia cards if you downsample a higher resolution using Custom resolution from NVCP, then using those downsampled resolutions even on exclusive fullscreen causes the game to run in some sort of borderless fullscreen mode [the lack of screen tear and increased input lag confirms the case]. To fix that, the fullscreen optimization has to be disabled.

So MS is actually breaking more stuffs with each update.