1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redstone 5, 1809: No issues. All is well?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Eastcoasthandle, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    I was wondering if anyone updated to 1809 and had no issues with it other then turning features off?

2. disq

disq Member

GPU:
    GTX
    There are multiple users reporting that after installing the October 2018 Update, Windows deleted their User account alongside with personal data present on Documents folder, Downloads folder, etc. There's a fix for this:

You need to open Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > User Profiles > Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart - and set it to Disable.

Although, if you go to: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/ there's no mention anymore on 1809 update.
    Windows Update also doesn't offer the update anymore.

It seems that Microsoft pulled the update for the time being.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega Pulse
    Yeah they pulled it for now but I expect a cumulative update to fix it if they find anything other than it being a user problem for a over tweaked OS or something since it was mid-rollout.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619

4. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    My upgrade was rather painless.

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Update through assistant tool, all went smooth.

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    I downloaded the iso and upgraded with that with no issues.

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC
    Had no issues after update either.

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury
    Can someone post a wintimertester pic with 1809?

9. aka2k

aka2k Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    No issues, just crappy performance.

Strange Times likes this.
  10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    It's 10mhz

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    No issue here with performance, at least game wise, my main two games run smooth (BF4, BF1).

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal)@4K
    I've encountered the following problems with the official 1809 update via Windows Update on four different computers in the household:

1. On one computer, there would be no internet connection for Edge and any UWP apps (regular applications could access the internet fine) when connected via Ethernet (WiFi worked fine). I had to uninstall the Ethernet drivers and let Windows 10 reinstall them to fix it.

2. On two other computers, the Update would cause the system SSD to become unbootable and not recognized by the BIOS on the next warm start. Cold start would make it recognized again but still unbootable. Secure erasing the SSD and installing 1803 doesn't cause any issues, but as soon as 1809 installed on it again, the same problem was back on these computers. This problem happens whether the ISO for a clean install or Windows Update was used to update. This is the most severe bug I've encountered. The update simply doesn't work on these PCs (these are both older systems, one Core 2 Quad Q6600, one Core i7 920), although Windows Update tried to shove it down their throats again and again until the update was removed by MS.

3. Disabling Driver auto-updates via Windows Update no longer works in 1809 (at least not the way it used to, even DDU doesn't accomplish this anymore). It thus often tries to auto-install some outdated or in the case of some devices - problematic or even incompatible drivers after a while.

4. Right-clicking inside a folder or on the Desktop and selecting the "New" context menu takes 3-5 seconds to bring up the selection of which folder/file type to create. This happens on all the computers I have access to with working 1809. Super annoying.

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I did in-place upgrades on a bunch of systems and haven't noticed any issues.

14. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    I installed LTSC (2018? 2019?) 1809 and have no major problems...installed it clean though, not upgrade. There are some new bugs, like file associations not wanting to stick, notifications not working unless you leave background apps enabled in privacy settings, and probably a bunch more I have yet to find. So yeah...like any other Windows release. Just backup EVERYTHING first and do a clean format/install, not upgrade.

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I don't think the notification with a background is a bug.
    I remember in early versions, I would turn off background on some of windows processes but they would still be running all the time, or if I ran them once they would not shut down when closed.
    Now if you set background process off it does seem to work, process no longer runs for most of windows processes that are listed in the background.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If they don't fix file associations tonight, doing the open with process a second time gets it to stick. The only exception I've encountered so far is .zip. I worked around it by using 7-zip's settings to force association.

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    What's happening tonight?
    I don't seem to have association issues on my upgrade that I have noticed but I do have some files I set long ago for some extensions.

Edit: Oh, you mean patch Tuesday, if there is one now happening.

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Patch Tuesday :p

File associations bug only appears in new installs. Upgrade carries over your already set stuff so you're fine.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Yeh, I edited my post, the only "bugs" I have shown up were notifications not working (I had background process off globally (needed to toggle all notification options off/on) and a bug with jump list showing frequent used (fixed with clearing cache).
    So all is good as far as I can see, nothing major anyway.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I've had bad luck with shellexperiencehost again. Start would severely glitch out when doing the tile layout (new install) by duplicating tiles or having tiles stuck in between other tiles. Sometimes it would just stop responding, flash white, and restart itself with a crash entry in event log. Action center was the funniest with it opening on the left side of the screen in two instances :D Another time it added a bluetooth quick action even though I don't have BT h/w in my desktop. I avoid the shellexp bugs by just using classic shell and ignoring action center.