Red Faction Armageddon PC Demo

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 26, 2011.

1. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    I have to say I'm quite impressed. I mean I just played the game here at work on my Mac. Sure the mouse is a bit laggy and the graphics could use an improvement (actually playing it windowed doesn't seem that bad), but for what it is, it's very impressive. And the game itself seems rather fun too. A couple of years more in development and this might very well become something worthwhile. But for now, I'll leave the processing for my own hardware.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Dunno what it is on the Mac, Joohan, but PC OnLive can be set to fullscreen just by pressing Alt-Enter as it was the first thing I did.

3. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I just played in window mode since it looked better that way, going fullscreen just made the compressions obvious.

4. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    Yes, I Know. The reason I played it windowed was because it made the game look a bit better (tolerable).

5. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    The destruction in RFA as expected is impressive. The game itself though I'm not sold on. I enjoyed Guerrilla but this just doesn't seem that great compared. Maybe when a proper PC demo comes out I can judge it better.

6. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    is onlive an american service? or does it have independent server farms in countries?

its just that any company working on a system like this is fairly out of touch launching in the uk where most people have atrocious broadband

7. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I heard they teamed up with BT and have their servers there.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i felt the same, it was fun to smash destroy stuff, and the Havok physics were working very well, and smoothly too, unlike RFG on my own PC lol.
    But once the novelty wore off, i'm not sure how much of a game there would be.

9. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some green some red
    onlive surprisingly worked pretty well, awfull lag tho lol I wouldnt buy

10. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    i was playing splinter cell and couldn't actually read the control tips so it took ages to work out moves. at the time i was streaming @ about 450kbs, i reckon you need at least 850kbps-1.0 megabytes to get 'decent' quality and probably 2.0 (20meg) constant to get really good quality, and then to get an almost match for a 1080p monitor playing direct from the card maybe 3.0-3.5mbs, I think blueray is 4.5 megabytes but its still compressed and can display banding.

il come back to this thread in 2025 when my village might of got close to half of that for £50 a month.

*was going add, started playing on steam and my data rates dropped off because i was effectively streaming data for 30mins solid and fair usage applies as always :(

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    BluRay is around 20-40mb bitrate wise, but that is for 1080p, and for the actual disc, and not recompressed mkv's.

The BBC iPlayer website streams their HD streams at a constant 3200k for 1280x720, an they look pretty good, and the Apple Trailers plugin i have for MediaPortal streams the 1080p trailers at 8-9mbs.

Software like this just highlights how capped, or fair usage internet just isn't ideal these days, as there are more legal ways to pull down several hundred terabyte a month, than illegal.