Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    There's similarities but anisotropic filtering would lower the distance of texture filtering making things very blurry just a short distance from the camera though it would not cause the cart tracks and footsteps to completely fade out and pop back in just a short distance from the player/camera position so that's due to the detail distance in the options.
    (But the video most clearly showcases that happening shortly before it ends and early on there's a ton of tracks and trails that are visible as part of a texture element I suppose and not dynamic minor objects like these other steps or cart trails were.)

Seems setting the preset first also does work instead of adjusting the individual settings directly so yeah that works though it's interesting that these have impact on things that aren't in the advanced options at all so there's a chance of having these locked to whatever the corresponding preset last used sets them to. :)

EDIT: I haven't picked up the game itself though but the ground coverage or clutter distance and snow sparkle effects(?) seem to be at least two of the affected settings.

I do also remember hearing that a toggle for the snow sparkle effect was in a earlier review build but then disappeared for whatever reason, also a bit curious but perhaps it will return in a later update again.

2. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Only other setting I have in there that's showing as low is: <ssdoResolution>kSettingLevel_Low</ssdoResolution> anyone know anything about that one?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Screen Space Directional Occlusion, ambient occlusion technique often attributed to AMD seen in I think Far Cry 3, Stalker Clear Skies and GTA V actually.

EDIT: It could mean something else here though as I would have assumed a custom mode or HBAO would have been favored over SSDO.

Although even SSAO itself as the origin seen way back in Crysis still sees use despite it's age and flaws because it's still really really fast which outweighs the drawbacks.

EDIT: And for GTA V that game used a mix of AMD and NVIDIA techniques which was interesting to see even if AMD's often didn't quite stack up visually (As I recall at least.) and the game also had it's own effects so you had various soft shadow filters, AMD and NVIDIA techniques as well for this plus the same for ambient occlusion and a few other things.

Maybe that's also the case for Red Dead Redemption 2 then keeping both GPU manufacturers implementations of certain effects once again. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Well I'm AMD all the way so I will try playing with it to see what happens! ;)

The full section there is a blend of ssao, ssdo and even an ssro!

Code:
    <ssaoFullScreenEnabled value="true" />
        <ssaoType value="0" />
        <ssdoSampleCount value="4" />
        <ssdoUseDualRadii value="false" />
        <ssdoResolution>kSettingLevel_Low</ssdoResolution>
        <ssdoTAABlendEnabled value="true" />
        <ssroSampleCount value="2" />
    No idea what the difference is!

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The square box is a Rage engine lod optimization, don't bother asking them to fix it, they didn't for GTA5.

6. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Shocking that they didn't include g/free synch

8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    A few more that are going on my wall:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 2080Ti OC
    Not read all this thread, apologies if it's been answered a hundred times but when is this game coming out on Steam. Supposed to be next month but I've not seen any confirmation anywhere of this?

Thanks.

10. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    From rockstars FAQ I found the answer; Red Dead Redemption 2 - Additional Store Information

"Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC is also available for purchase at the Epic Games Store, Greenman Gaming, GameStop, Humble Store and additional digital retailers. Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC will be available to purchase on Steam this December and will also be available this November as a launch title for Google Stadia." :)

Danny_G13 likes this.

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    oh stadia? hows google streaming all the games u do not own service going?

12. The Sleeper

The Sleeper Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI FE
    Yes ... it´s coming to Steam this December, but you still have to use the Rockstar Game Launcher via Steam to play the game!

Netherwind likes this.
  13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Swell? ;) We know more 19th november.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I was under the impression you still had to buy most games on Stadia, that it was mainly about not needing a console.

15. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Oh boy. Half a second latency between pressing the trigger and watching your char firing on screen. On PS4 this is nerve wrecking really.

16. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    Script Hook works like a charm. This will add many more hours of fun for me.
    [​IMG]

jbscotchman and norton like this.
  17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Out of curiosity I had to test out that theory from the redit post, regarding the tracks in the mud. I haven't edited anything in the .xml file and <DeepSurfaceQuality> is still set to low, and I don't think changing it makes any difference. The values in that file are the way they are for a reason, you start tinkering with stuff you might end up with unexpected results.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Has anyone else been experiencing issues with the game hanging on resuming a Story mode save due to, what appears to be, a corrupted autosave?

I have played this game now for almost 43 hours and for most of that time it has ran stable with no crashes or save issues. I manually save in the game regularly and always use a new save slot rather than overwriting a single one.

Late last week I started getting the odd message from the Rockstar Games Launcher that it had detected "unexpected" data files in the game folder and that tampering was not allowed even though nothing had been altered or added to the folder. I don't even use ReShade or anything like that. Verifying the files revealed no corruption or missing files. The only thing I did use was to add -cpuLoadRebalance to the game's launcher options.

Anyway, since last week I have started having issues with the game hanging on resuming Story mode. I can see an overbloomed sepia tinged image from the game after the save has loaded but it hangs at this point as the game starts to resume (and the bloom diminishes). I then have to press Alt-F4 to exit at which point the launcher tells me the game has exited unexpectedly and offers me a choice of OK (to exit), Retry and Safe Mode. Retry and Safe Mode didn't work.

However, I found that if I deleted the latest save - a file called 30015 which I believe it is the autosave - from the Save folder and disable Cloud Saves that I can resume the game using Safe Mode though this obviously resets all my settings. Also, at the moment I am having to do this EVERY TIME I play the game which is getting annoying. Not sure what the issue is exactly; whether it is the Autosave corrupting itself for some reason or if there is an issue introduced with last week's patch that added Tree Tessellation to the settings.

I have now uninstalled the game and am redownloading it to see if this fixes the issue.

What is particularly annoying about this issue is that RDR2's Story mode does not allow you to load from a particular save file despite having the option to create multiple saves. The Story mode will only resume from the last save, either manual or in most cases the autosave (with the filename 300015).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    ^^^^Haven't had any issues like that, since I started playing I regularly save over the auto save slot. I always save before starting a main story mission so I don't somehow lose any progress I've made on the side.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  20. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Yeah I haven't had that either, I save a lot, and when I'm exiting the game I do 2x manual saves just to be sure, always save over the bottom save each time (I've used up all the slots).

Darren Hodgson likes this.