Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

Been smooth as butter on the 3 machines here, I know that means bugger all to those with issues but its either broke or its not. Could still be doa for some on steam.

cerebus23 likes this.
  2. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-RTX-2Ghz/15Ghz
  3. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    No that's not happening my weapons are degrading at a similar rate to how they did on the PS4 version, same as Arthur's cores.

Edit: Although this does make a compelling argument for it being an issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/comments/dwjp1t/i_think_ive_just_made_a_discovery_about_a_big/

I noticed Arthur is almost always underweight with me but then he was in the PS4 version as well!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Turanis likes this.
  4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Interesting, I am always underweight, but I too thought I just don't eat enough. I also thought that weapon degradation is tied to how much you use that weapon and weapons I don't use don't degrade, so I don't think it's related to FPS.

Grimbarian likes this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    I'd just like to note that battlefield 3 and 4 does not use the same game engine - bf3 uses frostbite 2, while bf4 uses frostbite 3.

6. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    "Sadly, it seems Bethesda is not the only developer whose games suffer from framerate-related problems.

If you run the game at 30 FPS, everything will be normal. You will lose weight just as you would in RDR2's console versions. However, if you run the game at 60 FPS,
    Core drain speed and weight loss will be twice as fast, meaning you'll need to eat 2x as much food as you normally would to keep things steady.
    At 120 FPS, your stat drain speed is reportedly quadrupled, and so on."
    https://www.techspot.com/news/82799-red-dead-redemption-2-pc-port-ties-gameplay.html

Dont buy,Wait for moaaar patches and let see how will be on Steam.

7. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    ^ Some of their claims are false. For example less than 30 seconds long storms are also on PS4. I've witnessed that myself many times. Core drain is affected by many things, including weather, clothing, well-being etc. so it's not that simple to judge and TBH 4x core drain speed would be insane, there would be tons of reports at this point. Also my Arthur is underweight on PS4 all the time. I've never managed to make him "normal" or "overweight".

SameOldx2 likes this.
  8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Presumably a simple mod to offer 2x food benefit, 4x food benefit, 10x food benefit etc (we choose the version we need based on our average FPS) would mitigate the issue? It does seem like a bug they will take a long, long time to fix...

9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    This is still accurate :D

10. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti

One unverified reddit post and techspot runs it as fact.

Outstanding.

I was constantly underweight on the ps4, the day and night cycle doesn't seem any shorter either.
    Im at 100 fps or so pretty much the whole time and I've not seen or felt it to be any different to the ps4 version. ( In regards to weapon degradation and cores etc. )

Also I saw it being said that it effects the online too, and that is just plain false. Weather and time online is tied to the server not client.

3 of us play in a group, im usually at 100fps plus, one is locked at 70 fps and one avgs about 50 fps.

We all experience weather and time cycles at the same time.

Amaze likes this.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    frostbite 3 and 2 are very very similar. They dont even number the engine revisions now, its just called frostbite.

12. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Yeah, the game is in full screen, i did tried turning on windows hdr but still not luck. Thing is the option was there when i first launched the game but it disappeared after i switched between dx12 and vulkan once.

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Using your settings as I too have a 1440p 144Hz monitor and a 1080Ti. The game looks great and performs excellent. Cheers bud.

scaramonga likes this.
  14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PCRedDead/...is_causing_the_ground_draw_distance_to_be_as/

Seems like the patch resetting the config file also lowered down some settings that couldn't be adjusted from the in-game options though these can be resolved by just editing the config file itself or using a program that handles this and other tweaks I suppose also works. :)

EDIT: From reading it seems like it's also possible to set a preset first which does adjust some of these settings and then fine tune the individual settings afterwards, weird how it doesn't cover everything but other games have had that issue too.

15. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Hmm was low for me, changed to Ultra, can't say I noticed anything as bad as that though it's something that I'd like to think I'd notice!

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    In that video it looks like he's just not using any anistropic filtering.

17. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Hmmmm, it's still on Ultra for me. Guess it's because i actually used a preset and then went through the list of options covered in the latest videos.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    There's similarities but anisotropic filtering would lower the distance of texture filtering making things very blurry just a short distance from the camera though it would not cause the cart tracks and footsteps to completely fade out and pop back in just a short distance from the player/camera position so that's due to the detail distance in the options.
    (But the video most clearly showcases that happening shortly before it ends and early on there's a ton of tracks and trails that are visible as part of a texture element I suppose and not dynamic minor objects like these other steps or cart trails were.)

Seems setting the preset first also does work instead of adjusting the individual settings directly so yeah that works though it's interesting that these have impact on things that aren't in the advanced options at all so there's a chance of having these locked to whatever the corresponding preset last used sets them to. :)

EDIT: I haven't picked up the game itself though but the ground coverage or clutter distance and snow sparkle effects(?) seem to be at least two of the affected settings.

I do also remember hearing that a toggle for the snow sparkle effect was in a earlier review build but then disappeared for whatever reason, also a bit curious but perhaps it will return in a later update again.

19. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    Only other setting I have in there that's showing as low is: <ssdoResolution>kSettingLevel_Low</ssdoResolution> anyone know anything about that one?

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Screen Space Directional Occlusion, ambient occlusion technique often attributed to AMD seen in I think Far Cry 3, Stalker Clear Skies and GTA V actually.

EDIT: It could mean something else here though as I would have assumed a custom mode or HBAO would have been favored over SSDO.

Although even SSAO itself as the origin seen way back in Crysis still sees use despite it's age and flaws because it's still really really fast which outweighs the drawbacks.

EDIT: And for GTA V that game used a mix of AMD and NVIDIA techniques which was interesting to see even if AMD's often didn't quite stack up visually (As I recall at least.) and the game also had it's own effects so you had various soft shadow filters, AMD and NVIDIA techniques as well for this plus the same for ambient occlusion and a few other things.

Maybe that's also the case for Red Dead Redemption 2 then keeping both GPU manufacturers implementations of certain effects once again. :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019