Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    Normaly my PC monitor do the upscaling part, but if I will toggle sharpening filter in Nv control panel then graphics drivers force my GPU to scale everything to my monitor native resolution.
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...-image-sharpening-in-the-nvidia-control-panel
    Nvidia even mention here they are using high quality 5-tap upscaler. I have tried various edge enhancement filters before (for example in reshade and sweetfx) but there were ringing artifacts from EE, and picture wasnt nearly as clean. Now thanks to Nv upscaling I can run lets say 75% of my monitor native resolution and picture is sharp and no longer blurry as it was before. What Nv did is really amazing job, although I feel they were forced to do it, because AMD do it first with their own RIS sharpen filter :D

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Well i've just tried it, and tbh i am not impressed (sadly).

Native 4k

[​IMG]

4k 0.66 render res

[​IMG]

1440p nvidia upscale

[​IMG]

Sadly the nvidia upscale looks even worse than the ingame render res scaler...

Native 4k just looks SO MUCH better... so much so that there is no way i am gonna play this game till i can play it at native 4k.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Trying out Jokers settings

He seems to be getting good results, also I switched from Vulkun to DX12 and the horrible stutter when turning the mouse whilst running as the auto camera fights you for control of said camera is now gone under DX12 too.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  4. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Thanks for sharing! Tuned my settings according to this and I can't really tell the difference visually but I'm able to get a stable 50-60 FPS instead of 40-50 FPS when running 150% resolution scale to avoid the blur from TAA.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    theres a thread open at the geforce forums to rally support for an Andrew Burnes performance and optimization guide.

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    Right, well i got sli working in vulkan (just using the rdr2.exe on the gta5 profile), but it is buggy AF... but means that if rockstar wants to give it some love, it COULD work properly! Fingers crossed...

[​IMG]

FYI fps went to 70 with no TAA - aka twice as much as single gpu, or perfect sli scaling, just like in gta 5. But lighting goes CRAZY with TAA off and sli activated...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Well Ive just finished an hour playtime with these settings my self and only getting around 10fps more than I was before. Instead of dropping down to 34fps in certain areas I now never dip below 40fps, generally it was around the 50-70fps mark though. Which is a lot better to be honest, and visual difference is barely noticeable. Still I think the fact that he's running a high overclocked 8700K helps a lot and probably faster memory too as I have 3200MHz and he probably has 3600+ on that system. I have the game installed on a Samsung 970 EVO NVME SSD as well. But still even with these settings its simply still not optimised enough.

Here are the settings for everyone else if you want them, will save people from watching the whole video. Credit obviously goes to Joker Productions Youtube Channel.

Running DX12 1440p 1080Ti performance settings (Joker) said he was able to achieve above 60fps on a 1080Ti, 8700K OC @ 4.8GHz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    It certainly isn't the most convincing port. All cutscenes are limited to 16:9, which is to be expected I suppose. But things like the cinematic camera is also limited to 16:9 so there are a lot of things out of place when gaming in 21:9 which is quite disappointing for such a AAA release in 2019/2020.

9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Master Guru

GPU:
    25%=1080p
    50%=1440p
    100%=4K

Your 4k 0.66 render screenshot has even higher resolution than 2560x1440, so theoretically it should look better. However your 0.66 res screenshot has no sharpening applied, so besides HUD elements it looks like a standard upscale (edges are very blurry).

When it comes to your nivida upscale screenshot, it's in 1440p, so we dont see the final result here (4K). However I can see edge enhancement is already applied, so I have upscaled it for myself to 4K, and despite lower resolution edges are more defined than in your 0.66 res screenshot. Only HUD elements looks better in your 0.66 res screenshot, but that's to be expected, because HUD was rendered in true 4K. So nvidia edge enhancement clearly works, and upscaled picture with EE applied is more pleasing to my eyes than just standard upscale without EE. I hate blurry edges.

It's sad Nv no longer care about SLI owners. Your 1080 in SLI should run RDR2 at 4K native with good scaling. I dont get it, they should want people to buy 2x GPU's instead of one.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  10. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    There is fix for 21:9 for cutscenes / photo mode / cinematic camera

[​IMG]

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I just tried DX12 and got 3fps less average and noticed it tends drop in the 30's more compared to Vulkan's more consistent 40-55 fps. Either way I've got all the settings to a nice sweet spot so no more analyzing, and time to jump back in the game. If anyone is interested these are the settings I'm totally cool with.

https://i.**********/WpDkwt6w/RDR2-2019-11-07-10-49-41-153.jpg

https://i.**********/ZKpvXgQ9/RDR2-2019-11-07-10-49-53-016.jpg

https://i.**********/GmRTRK0X/RDR2-2019-11-07-10-50-05-813.jpg

https://i.**********/PqrLpq5Z/RDR2-2019-11-07-10-50-26-828.jpg

https://i.**********/YSnv1wvP/RDR2-2019-11-07-10-57-40-978.jpg

airbud7 likes this.
  12. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Do you have some sound issues with vulkan?

13. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    So much for that patch, the freeze-ups are becoming annoying again especially during heavy firefights and cutscenes. Switching between DX12 or Vulkan makes no difference for me either.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use vulkan and medium settings.

15. Forceflow

Forceflow Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1070ti
    JonasBeckman and styckx like this.

16. styckx

styckx Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I really love your parser.. Seriously dude you could a website around parsing settings files. It should be a standard when looking for support or submitting a support ticket.. It leaves no questions what's going on instead of the "EVERYTHING ULTRA, EXCEPT THIS, BUT I HAVE THIS AT POTATO AND I EAT PANCAKES"..

It's ashame you can't extract CPU info..

I9 9900k 4.7 on all cores.

17. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    Makes no difference which API or graphics settings I use. I'll just keep playing untill the next patch. Not as bad as Skyrim was.

18. Forceflow

Forceflow Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1070ti
    As you can see from the absolute nineties look of the page, web design ain't my forte.

Thanks for the praise. I just figured we'll be comparing settings for a while, since everyone's hoping they fix this up a bit ;)

I'll look into adding a "load XML from disk" option tomorrow. Don't think I can grab general system info from JavaScript. Maybe Windows version, but that's it.

19. styckx

styckx Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Eh. I'm old school so I appreciate the little things community members do `just cause'.

Off topic.. I saw a very early version of ScriptHook was released today.. Doesn't do much and buggy but it's a start.

(For those who don't know.. ScriptHook was the master key to 99% of GTA V modding)

20. styckx

styckx Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra