Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    As expected, i just spent almost 2 hours restarting the game and playing the benchmark to find the optimal settings. Sitll haven't found what i'm looking for.

Diving back in, cya all in a week.

Passus likes this.
  2. Kono

Kono Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 / 8GB
    Played 4 hours straight, no crash on rtx2070. Most setting on Ultra. 3440x1440 @ around 40fps, Ultra TXAA and DX12. Game run great, no hiccup at all. I'm still messing around with some of the Ultra setting. I couldn't see the different..:(

3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    This game is so good, only reason i dropped the controller was that i was falling asleep, can't wait to log back in!

Grimbarian and cerebus23 like this.
  4. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3080
    Anyone else getting constant crashing? I was getting it on SP and Online, I have my AV disabled. I don't get it... sometimes it runs fine for an hour, then it will crash twice in a row.

I read someone was saying it happens when they lose connection to the internet.

5. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti
    Could a mod ever sharpen up the closer visuals? And I don't mean within 12 inches up close. Further back than that but still in a close range.

6. glObalist

glObalist Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti Gamin
    Anyone playing with a controller and having the mouse cursor constantly shoved into the center of the screen?

7. SameOldx2

SameOldx2 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    The constant freezing is making the game hard to play. Still no crashes though. Game needs patches big time. TAA seems weird also, distant trees look like low res lod crap when it is off.

norton likes this.
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Granted, I only played for 2-2.5 hours but I had no crashes whatsoever. And I haven't noticed the shimmering that others have mentioned either in the opening snowy sections. TAA is supposed to reduce shimmering during motion but it can be re-introduced if you, say, crank the Sharpness setting too high. The only issue I've experienced is 2 or 3 split-second stutters or hitches during cutscenes but gameplay has been fine.

The game could do with a framerate cap option which is the only graphical setting that is missing from the options. I noticed that while loading the game often goes to 200+ fps even though I had a 165 Hz G-SYNC display that should be capped at 165 fps since I have v-sync enabled in the NVIDIA Global settings. It is if is being uncapped to speed up loading times as this is where the high framerate usually occurs (well, it's not as if the game itself can run at that when maxed out!!!).

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    No, I haven't noticed that and I'm sure I would have otherwise. One of my annoyances with PC games is how some of them don't disable/hide the mouse pointer when playing with a controller, forcing me to have to manually move it to the bottom and off the screen.

10. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    Resahde or nvidia experience

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    for some reason the settings menu is bugged for me, the fade in and fade out is really really slow, and alt tabing brings it up faster.

the epic launcher and rockstar launcher are really annoying. plus not being able to play offline if there is not internet service.

I had a brief internet outage and rockstar social service said the game has to be closed.
    and it refused to run in offline mode.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    cerebus23 likes this.
  12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Ok so found out that hdr works for me only in Vulkan mode. In DX12 hdr menu disappears from display settings.
    Anyways, game runs great for me, 4K all ultra except the ones that you can only go high maximum. For now did not dip bellow 35 lol, and hope it would stay that way, if not will go down gradually on settings.

13. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I thought so too, but afterburner shows around 4 - 5 GB VRAM usage while I have 8. Anyway, dx12 seems to solve the issue.

14. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Using the sharpening option within GeForce Experience Overlay helps with the blur from TAA. I set it to 0.70 on sharpening. Still not great, but at least it's an improvement. TAA seems to be a requirement for this game, without you have so much shimmering it's not even funny. But with TAA everything that is like 5 yards from your character is loosing a bunch of details. Doesn't seem like Medium vs High on TAA really does anything to affect this and having TAA Sharpening set to maximum doesn't really help either.

Might the TAA implementation be bugged? It sure defeats the shimmering, but is it supposed to be this harsh on the blurring? Things look great on your character etc, but everything even at semi-close distances gets blurred into oblivion. You loose out on tons of detail on basically everything in the game that is not in very close proximity of your character. What is the point of having various options at high/ultra to ensure great rendering at insane distances if TAA will just make it all blurry regardless?

I tried to just see how things look with 4x MSAA and you still have noticeable shimmering so it doesn't seem you can really avoid using TAA if you don't want shimmering everywhere. Tried to do supersampling (resolution scale set to 150%) but you will still notice shimmering without TAA and TAA even when doing supersampling has the same blur. Can't really play with 4x MSAA or supersampling anyway as my 2080 Ti just can't handle it at 3440x1440 resolution if I want 60 FPS.

I did connect my Xbox One X and fired up the game on the same monitor and this blur caused by TAA on the PC version is nowhere near as noticeable on the Xbox One X. So it seems like there is something awkward going on with TAA on PC? Like it's doing way too much and heavy blurring at a way to short distance than it's supposed to do?

Dragam1337 likes this.
  15. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    According to task manager my CPU load is about 40% and GPU is about 20-25%. Especially the GPU load seems suspiciously low? I don't have a frame rate cap so it's not because the GPU doesn't need to render any additional frames.

16. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT
    GPU load for me is 98-99%

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    oh, i was going by your profile, you don't have the 970 anymore?

Your mistake is relying on task manager for gpu info.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    As someone else said, you cant rely on task manager reports outside the game - use msi afterburner overlay :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  19. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Glad I’m waiting for it on Steam. At least it’ll have a patch or two in by then.

Turanis and cerebus23 like this.
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix