Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Make sure TAA is disabled (this goes for any game). TAA is not SLI friendly pre-NVLink as it uses a lot of bandwidth between the cards. Use FXAA or Reshade instead.

Two 1080Ti here, I just got the game so plan to test the mGPU support. It's running pretty well at the moment but haven't compared to single card yet.

2. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Both Red and Green
    Can anyone with dual AMD GPUs test the game? Even if it's an older setup I'd like to see if Crossfire is working at all with the April update, since it did nothing back when the game launched.

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    It does technically work, but the bandwidth used hinders any gains in performance on my setup. As you say, multigpu support is made for nvilink only by nvidia these days. It's not without reason that those fuckers are notorious for giving the middle finger to anyone not running the newest gen cards.

cerebus23 and anxious_f0x like this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    I am well aware - however, the image is noisy to the point where i cant even get myself to play the game, when taa is disabled... and this is at 4k !

Which is ironic, as gta 5 is just fine with fxaa only.

5. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I took a screenshot in 4K (native) and 7K (DSR) to compare image quality. I was blown away. With TAA on, it was like a layer of blur was removed. I tried to get it to 8K but I didn't have 12GB VRAM.

Needless to say it ran much worse with huge lags in the menu of 3-4 seconds.

What sites are not banned here for posting full quality PNG files?

6. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Hmm what upscale did you used? Ingame one or DSR from driver? I tried the ingame one, x2 native 4K. Quite the fps hit, dropped from 50fps avg to 18fps (Ultra settings). But honestly on my 4k display the difference was almost none.

7. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080Ti
    New patch today.. they've increased the amount of TAA Sharpening you can apply in the game menus now. The slider used to only allow setting between 0.0 and 1.0 when you look at the system.xml. It now has a scale of 0.0 to 4.0! I think they might have tweaked something with TAA in general as well it looks like it has a bit less ghosting. It's not eliminated but it definitely looks cleaner in motion now! No patch notes as of yet so, guess we'll need to wait to see what they mention regarding the TAA.

Here are 3 screenshots with different levels of sharpening applied in game.. no sharpening was used from the Nvidia control panel or Reshade, etc...

Sharpening at 1.0: https://i.imgur.com/Ci0XMJA.jpg (Previous Maximum Sharpening)
    Sharpening at 2.0: https://i.imgur.com/GmxoTB7.jpg (Middle point on the slider)
    Sharpening at 4.0: https://i.imgur.com/g7QLWPy.jpg (New Maximum Sharpening)

I found the sweet spot for sharpening seems to be around 1.75 to 2.25 for me personally.. Maxing out the slider to 4.0 looks way over-sharpened and has some artifacts in motion which look pretty jarring.

8. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    DSR at 7K. Can't do 8K because don't have enough VRAM maxed out.

9. angelgraves13

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    PC Patch Notes. Still fixing crashing and rendering issues.
    • Improved texture rendering at the Medium and High quality settings, so the game will now show a higher level of texture detail without impacting framerate or requiring more system resources
    • Increased the maximum range of the TAA Sharpening graphics setting, allowing players to make the game appear less blurry and match the quality available with external driver solutions
    • Fixed an issue that caused some system configurations to misreport the amount of free video memory available for the game to use
    • Fixed caching issues that caused graphical issues and missing UI that occurred after upgrading a system’s graphics card
    • Fixed a rendering issue with shimmering/flickering textures near campfires when Parallax Occlusion Mapping was set to Ultra quality
    • Fixed a lighting issue that caused blocky shadow textures around the player that could occur on some systems while Parallax Occlusion Mapping was set to Ultra quality
    • Fixed an issue that prevented cloud transition screens from displaying on death/respawn when the system is low on video memory
    • Fixed an issue with occlusion checks that could occur when running with DirectX 12, which prevented progress on some Story Mode missions
    • Fixed a lighting issue that caused graphical artifacts to appear around distant trees on some system configurations while MSAA was active
    • Fixed a lighting issue that caused flickering snow particle effects on some system configurations with multiple graphics cards
    • Fixed a water rendering issue that caused flickering when running with DirectX 12 and having the Water Reflection / Refraction Quality levels set to Low
    • Fixed a water rendering issue that caused incorrect wave simulation on some system configurations using multiple graphics cards
    • Fixed an issue with hardware auto-detection that caused some system configurations to incorrectly default to low quality graphical settings on first boot
    • Fixed an issue that caused an incorrect "Minimum Hardware Requirements not met" error on launch with some older system configurations that did meet the required specification
    • Fixed several crashes that may have occurred when launching the game on certain hardware configurations
    • Fixed a crash that occurred during gameplay when running out of system memory, resulting in a ERR_GFX_STATE error
    • Fixed several crashes that could occur when switching between graphics APIs and display modes on some system configurations
    • Fixed a crash that could occur when significantly increasing graphics settings, causing the system to run out of video memory
    • Fixed several crashes and performance issues when using Intel NUC systems or when using integrated graphics hardware
    • Fixed several random crashes that occurred during gameplay in Story Mode and Red Dead Online

JonasBeckman likes this.
  10. Party Poison

Party Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 2080Ti
    Anyone getting lower textures? I tried switching to low and back or rebooting the game but a lot of textures look a lot blurrier.

floors, my characters hands, boxes etc.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    I would have said something on caching and texture memory but a 2080Ti I believe has around 12 GB or so, D3D12 or Vulkan could be tested if one API performs above another but chances are the streaming and priorities for what textures to load might have been tossed around so characters and such load faster and others slower or not at all if they managed to miss something or mess up the streaming hierarchy for various elements of the game or some other bug to avoid running out of memory or prioritize certain things more at the expense of others.

Still though a 12 GB card should have about the best capabilities for loading all texture elements at full detail, some games push into the 10 GB memory usage range but that still leaves a bit so the 2080Ti should still be handling it.

NVIDIA should also have a really good implementation for D3D12 and Vulkan now, VLK 1.2 support isn't needed here so the 445.98 hotfix driver or the prior released WHQL main driver should be just fine although that would also require the game implementation of either or both these API's to be without fault and considering the number of GFX crash errors and other problems and glitches reported on AMD and NVIDIA cards somewhat fixed in game patches somewhat fixed in driver updates.

Well it looks like the game could need some further patches depending on what gets tested and discovered as of this latest update.

Took well into three years for me to get into GTA V waiting on patches although by that time the majority of fixes were smaller with focus on GTA Online but they still fixed crash issues and visual glitches and other bugs which while nice to see was unfortunate for how long some of these updates had taken but at least the game was well supported even if it's thanks to the success and priority and focus on the online mode.
    (Think they stopped porting over content to the SP mode entirely plus the DLC situation and various regressions in the current-gen console version and after some of the patches which were never fixed.)

Red Dead Redemption 2 seems to be doing better but going by the above patch notes there were still plenty to fix. Both nice to see the amount of support done for the game and also a bit strange that for Rockstar and all their funds it's taking this long to get stuff fixed and it keeps seeing regression or other issues cropping up.

Open world, huge game area and tons of assets likely a hella complex code base for that RAGE the underlying Rockstar Advanced Game Engine driving it or what it's called and all sorts of middleware and other stuff plus low level API usage and both D3D12 and Vulkan having variances and differences for how AMD and NVIDIA handles it, OS support for D3D12 and varying Win10 builds and getting the game implementation right including using up to date standards and specs and practices.

No wonder it's complex and things need some fixing up at times, hopefully a second patch will follow quickly if there's any issues at least lower texture detail should be easy to spot and hopefully replicate and fix. :)
    Unless it's intentional but this isn't something like FF7 Remake and having to preserve limited memory availability or anything to use a recent example with some extreme variance to texture asset qualities and how it gets loaded.
    (Plus I take it things worked just fine before the update for how textures were loaded in.)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    It's so dumb that we have to open a config file just to see the actual value.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    vulkan on nvidia driver has an issue where gpu commit cannot exceed physical vram without winding up a multicolour nightmare.

14. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    As of this writing, the game is currently on sale on Steam, and I kinda want to experience the single player story which has received so much praise.

But I wanna ask, is it possible to play the game without making a Rockstar Games Social Club registration?

15. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    No mate, rockstar social club will still be required to play

Angantyr likes this.

16. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Alright, thanks for the info. Google just gave me lots of old & conflicting news articles about the subject. So seemed best to just ask.

Passus likes this.
  17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I play without a registered Rockstar social club. Have 1000+ hours in single player,not into online play. I can play online also without the Rockstar social club registered. I use an offline Steam account,works great and was cheap.

18. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX5700 8gb
    And illegal and ripping off the guy whose account was stolen.

19. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Ahhh do not try to hurt my feelins,now this a more than once you have tried to put me down and accusing me of wrong doing.

Well I do not know if you have mental problems ,just forget things or some kind of religious person .Who thinks everyone is scumbag and in the wrong where in fact the person saying this does the exact same thing.

Stop trolling me when I post in this thread ,thinking your better than me ,when in fact a simple google search has proven you are no saint when it comes to games buying cdkeys, pirating stuff.

Grimbarian Quote from Aug 18 2015
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/do-not-buy-games-from-g2a-com.401835/#post-5143702

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  20. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Errr ... where? I can't see it. :(