1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Dead Redemption 2 requires 150GB of free space on PS4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080ti
    edit : misread the post
    so I'll just say that apparently it's the biggest gta-like world made this far which would explain especially if there's a ton of audio dialogs

on pc the game I had to uninstall due to space was doom the game takes like 80Gb and when they updated it that wasn't even enough, too much for my SSD

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    this is primarily because rockstar are lazy and don't implement language selective installation.

4. StevieSleep

StevieSleep New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Who cares, modern consoles have 1TB HDD, even if they had less space, if you're playing this game, you're not playing any other game so you might as well make the available space.

The more important question is when will it be launched on PC. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks shooting with a controller is not an experience I want to have for 120+ hours.

Maddness and Cave Waverider like this.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Have you checked XBox download speeds? It's not exactly Steam :p PC gamer sees a 100GB game on Steam, "meh, OK, I'll just grab something to eat first." XBox gamer on the other hand thinks about what he's gonna play the next couple of days while it downloads.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    You get the 50gb back once the download is done though to be fair. Doesn't effect the disc version either

7. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac AMP! 1060 6Gb
    What's baffling about it exactly? Games are getting bigger and bigger, often 80-100gb easily now. I don't find this baffling at all. Seems quite big but it's to be expected really, with a huge game like this. Games aren't going to get smaller

rl66 likes this.
  8. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac AMP! 1060 6Gb
    I don't believe it's being released on PC. Just like the first game. People want it on PC but I've yet to see any confirmation it will ever happen
    Eh? Download speeds don't have anything to do with the console, but your connection. Pretty sure MS servers are more than capable of delivering at whatever speed your connection can handle

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    Not exactly, with the law of removing of copper wiring from house since 2017 and the optical service it take around half an hour to download in bad internet condition... so it's just more "popcorns or peanuts" instead :) .

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    To me, the size of the game isn't the problem. My personal gripe is how you have to basically use up the same amount of disk space regardless of whether you do a digital DL or use the Blu Ray. And I'm sure that if you get the disc, you're going to have to keep it in the console in order to play the game. As far as I'm concerned, if you're required to have a disc, you might as well use it to free up as much space on the internal storage as possible. In doing so, you'd shave off a lot of time in prepping the game before being able to play it, you'd save a lot of disk space, and (if done properly) it'll actually improve load times, since the game can read from 2 different data sources simultaneously. The vast majority of the game's data is stuff that won't be replaced by updates, so a lot of that could be loaded on the disc. Maybe some resources (like high-res textures) would be best stored on the internal storage, since loading that from a disc would take too long.

But whatever. Not my problem - the last consoles I owned were a Sega Genesis and Gameboy Color.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    carnivore likes this.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    Agree, it's for that Xbox One are in 2To and have official external 8To HDD and PS4 accept huge HDD too

12. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    What? I get same exact download speed from Steam and from Xbox/MS Store.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    What the Hell? France banned copper wiring? What are you using instead? Back to aluminium? What about copper heatsinks?

schmidtbag likes this.
  14. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    This is just nuts, I wouldn't buy such game.
    Developers should start customizing the download offering to chose the language and at least texture pack for 4K or something.
    Often games appear repacked by pirates with less than half the size and all features, this is nuts!

holler likes this.
  15. holler

holler Member Guru

GPU:
    3 290x Tri Crossfire H20
    yep lazy build packager.

16. SweenJM

SweenJM Active Member

GPU:
    sapphire 580x nitro
    I don't want to get in trouble for talking about shady things.......so i will just say one thing. I bet the repack is half that size or less.

Silva likes this.
  17. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX560 4GB
    Same here.

18. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Well of course 7z and rar are very good at compressing a bunch of placeholder zeroes or ones. Flac is also very good at compressing raw audio tracks without losing any quality.

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Last time i checked (maybe 3 years ago) it was not. On 360 the download speed was more often than not very underwhelming. Was definitely not Steam.

20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Or maybe it's just used as copy protection. Titanfall admittedly was using raw audio tracks (not even lossless compression). They said it was to get better performance. I don't know but when i play flac music my computer is like not working at all ... maybe it's true that you get 10-20 more fps with raw audio tracks (unlikely imo) but as far as i know nobody ever tested it and honestly it sounded more like an excuse for a crappy copy protection mechanic than anything else (not everyone can download 50+GB at will, lot of people have monthly cap and buy disc).