Red Dead Redemption 2 PC vs Console Early Graphics Comparison

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Man on consoles it's a blurry mess.

Like it's using 5 different FXAA injectors.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    1080p video...poorly compressed footage...youtube 4:2:0...I could go on, but this video is a very very very bad example for comparisson - yet, as I've said before, HZD engine looks soooo much better than RAGE

Fediuld, nick0323 and Prince Valiant like this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You should have seen this on the PS4 Pro, it was shocking, almost looked like it was in black and white as the colours were so broken because HDR was in fact SD and broken to the max, and the lag on controller inputs were new heights of bad, so i never got past the snow bit it was that bad and have not touched it since.

5. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Now we just need Detroit: Become Human to hurry up and arrive!

Not really when both versions are being compared via the same method

6. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    As someone who really wanted to play RDR2; I am very happy I held for so long and its finally coming to PC. The release date is also falling on the week I took off from work. Blissful! :p

jbscotchman and Aura89 like this.
  7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Um, no they are not - they just happen to be in the same video, not the same specification of content prior to upload.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  8. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    I haven't touched RDR2 on my One X in some time but I do recall there was some sort of bug whereas you had to disable HDR on the tv (on 4K sets) in order to remove the filter that reduced the clarity and color vibrancy. I'm not sure if that was ever resolved but the video comparison with Xbox looks as though that filter is still applied.

9. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    As i see some people mention here hdr in red dead redemption 2 i think it is worth to leave link to that video here:

Coolerking, Fediuld and MerolaC like this.
  10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Ah! My favorite home cinema reviewer and tester on here at last! Believe me he knows what he is talking about. That Klein photo spectrometer used for his calibrations costs about 20k.

So did Rockstar fix this SDR game engine problem and actually get HDR working for any console or PC yet?

I'm actually surprised by this because I remember seeing a development video about the Rockstar game engine (used for Grand Theft Auto originally) and they specifically showed it rendered in HDR internally and then tone mapped down to SDR output profiles for display, so no idea why something got broken for this game which I presume uses same game engine.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not as far as I am aware, the game (and engine) are geared towards SDR and they could in theory update all of the LUT's the game uses, and then regrade the colouring, plus they perhaps might have to then alter the lighting/baking (in fact they would to get correct colour values) and this is obviously a lot of work.

It kinda depends how the game engine deals with colour values, linear/logarithmic and how long it would take to do. Very much a post-processing fuction in real-time, with a pre-runtime baking and environment artwork re-grade - and I think that is highly unlikely. That said, it would not be as bad as GTAV, because that game is all about the thousands of objects and 100,000's of textures - you will be hard pressed to get an environment artist to regrade GTAV. It would be pulling-toenails-out-painful to do.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    What amuses me is that bethesda could just turn on HDR support in a patch easily, the engine mostly has what it needs to support panel interactive hdr XD

13. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Same difference really. It's a good enough comparison.

14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    delete

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  15. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Lossless screenshots or video are fair comparisons, poor quality video only favors the worst visuals. Screenshots are sufficient for most comparisons while taking up the least space so there's no reason not to provide them.

Loobyluggs likes this.

16. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    HDR was fixed with patch 1.09.