Red Dead Redemption 2 actually performs better on Linux than Windows with AMD Graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 19, 2020.

1. TieSKey

TieSKey Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    U cannot simply bypass the OS so a lot of calls in the windows api have to be "translated" into linux kernel calls, that's bound to add some overhead when there isn't a 1 to 1 equivalent. (Unless the game uses pure posix compliant apis but last time I checked posix on windows was incomplete)

2. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Linux is very much for servers where you have limited software and a professional maintaining it using some paid up distro with very good support. The best performance where it's needed at the cost of harder maintenance.

For desktops it doesn't really work, too many distro's/libraries/etc that all have incompatibilities with each other. Limited support and updates unless you pay for it and know what you are doing (i.e. know everything you have installed, watch for updates and are prepared to manually patch). Hence security is often weak as you are not properly patched and not running good security software - it's mostly relying on the hope that the hackers are nice to people with beards, but being as hackers go after servers and they run linux that's really not the best assumption.

If you are an expert (probably a linux server admin) then sure it's great, if not safer to just stick to windows imo. If you like the development environment just install a shell/unix tools/emacs/whatever on windows.

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I would argue there's much less "emulation" there, than implied. Even in Windows, applications call the user space, not the kernel directly. The Windows run times implement these calls and then call the kernel/drivers, same as Wine does, only it calls Linux and other libraries of that ecosystem after.

Caesar likes this.
  4. TieSKey

TieSKey Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Some very basic libraries hit kernel space really fast like file handling and general IO but I don't really know enough of that low level world to discuss the fine details.

Sorry to be blunt but that's plain and simply NOT true. Hardware security patches usually reach linux before windows, software security is leagues better on linux than windows. Updates can be configured to be automatic/unattended (or not if u prefer). Applications installed through the distro's "store" (not really stores since everything is free but similar in aspect) work without any library issues.
    Heck, a typical home/office user that only browses the internet, uses an office suit, sends emails and watches some videos wouldn't event notice they are on linux if u use the right "theme" xD

We need some turin-like test so people realize the linux desktop experience has evolved since 15 years ago..
    Mean while, windows devolved into some crappy and incomplete touch wannabe where u can't change an audio device without opening 3 dialogs with 3 different graphical styles that get progressively smaller.....
    and don't even try to configure an IP address... that's a "pro only" thing that must be hidden behind 5 windows...

5. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nah, at this point it's nothing like that. It's more straightforward than Windows, and it doesn't get stuck for stupid reasons, or loses performance over time.

The app store removed the biggest hurdle to Linux, which was understanding the package manager. Now everyone does.

Caesar and yasamoka like this.
  6. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Except that it does not run at all on every system.

7. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    If the only way you can try to make Linux appear better is by disparaging Windows, then you have already lost.

8. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Great conversation but, I have seen no one but myself even trying to get it working in this thread. Instead, I figured it would be better to discuss the subject at hand and see if any of you actually got it running, outside of steam.

Caesar likes this.
  9. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You mean in Linux or in Windows? In both, it requires the Rockstar Launcher, which is the real DRM hurdle/annoyance.

Caesar and RzrTrek like this.
  10. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Strix OC
    So...after numerous complains about how bad this game runs on windows it finally managed to run better on a platform used by 0.1% gamers???
    Those pesky Rockstar guys got the message wrong..It's Windows that you need to optimize the game for...

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's more about how the OS uses your hardware, and not the other way around.

Keno34 and Caesar like this.
  12. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    still having in average much worst results.

don't @ me with 1-5 games where Linux is better than windows.

Caesar likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    It depends how the OS is PRIMARILY "focused" according to the user(s)' target specification(s)...
    and secondary is gaming'wise'.... and vice-versa.....

NOTE: Also taking into consideration GPU driver implementation:oops: consistency

14. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    [​IMG]

15. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    In Linux. :) In Windows, it is easy but, in Linux with Lutris......

16. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Lets see if you got it running under Linux. As for the game itself, it runs extremely well in Windows and I played it through and through for over 100 hours. :)

17. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    You may not agree but, Ubuntu is fine for new users and highly experienced users as well. The best thing to do is use the most stable Linux OS and the one you enjoy to use, not something a community determines or dictates.

18. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Anyone with years of Linux experience will tell you to use what is best for your use case. Ubuntu is the best distro for those that choose to use it, one is not better than another, overall, except on a case by case basis.

19. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So, does it actually perform better, and are all the actual graphics features supported?

(Btw, after a storage overhaul for my main computer, I went full Arch/tkg/btrfs/kde/kronhite and productivity wise I'm never looking back. I just hoped Kmail wasn't so hopelessly abandoned, and 2D performance didn't suck as much compared to Windows, but c'est la vie).

anticupidon likes this.
  20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What a ...blasphemy :p
    Ubuntu is the best :confused:?
    Yes. It is. 20.04 is boringly stable and I know a lot of cyber security people running Ubuntu just because is the low hanging fruit and one can add whatever package is needed.
    BTW, I don't run Ubuntu ;)

ManofGod and Passus like this.