1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recording can corrupt file if Game close first.

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by zerowalker, Apr 20, 2015.

1. zerowalker

zerowalker Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    I noticed this quite a lot and have had many corrupt files cause of this.
    Not sure if everyone has it or not so that's why i bring it up.

To reproduce it's pretty much like this:

Have Afterburner/RivaTuner on (I use Encoder Service x64, not sure if that matters).
    Start a Game and begin capture.
    Close Game.

Now the file will still be locked to RivaTuner as it hasn't "noticed" that it's nothing to capture anymore.
    Solution?, well only choice is to close RivaTuner which causes it to crash.
    The file then becomes corrupt as there is no header (Only tried this with AVI).

There are ways to save the files most of the time, but the hassle is almost not worth it.

So can this be solved?
    I am pretty sure in normal cases it should just stop recording when the Hooked application is no longer there, but perhaps there is something preventing this?

Many Thanks.

2. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    Afterburner sees if the game suddenly changes resolution, but doesnt see if a game is crashed and closes encoding.

I dont know why - but that was always the case with afterburner.

If your HDD is full it tries to record further as well while other capture software simply closes the file then.

But you can rescue the avi with this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91zlDS0f-x8&hd=1

There seems to miss a check somehow, which other software has.

3. zerowalker

zerowalker Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    I actually found a Solution that's a bit better if you accidentally get a crash or close the game.

Simply open a new game (can be any) and start recording then stop.
    You will now get 2 files, the last game, and the short one you just made.

Regarding your method, that's what i kinda do, replace header, reindexing and ****.
    But when the file is 30-80gb, that's not a fun task at all;P

But still Afterburner should fix this, or it should update the AVI Header during recording, this is possible and if you do this it doesn't matter what happens, the AVI will be intact on any kind of crash. (As long as the HDD doesn't fail, or half the header was written etc).

4. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    You can shorten it by one process at the hex editor if you instead of making a new file overwrite the existing file. Overwriting saves directly. Maybe HxD wants to make itself a backup then, but you can cancel it of course then.

But your workaround solution sounds very interesting. I'll try it if I get again into this problem.

5. zerowalker

zerowalker Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Still doesn't replacing the header with a similar one only solve half the issue?
    The file works, but it has no index, meaning to you would need to use ffmpeg or mencoder etc to resave it to a indexed file.

But then again you could probably work with the non-indexed file, but it would probably freeze a lot as any kind of seeking means reading from start to point of desire.

6. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    I didnt say you can leave virtualdub away.

I said that if you save over the file you have in HxD (hexeditor) instead of writing a new file, then it saves the file directly without waiting time.

7. zerowalker

zerowalker Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 380
    Ah my bad. We do the same stuff then, just different ways.
    But still, doing the "Start a new recording" seems to work, even when the game crashes which happened awhile ago:)