Recording @ 8k. Geforce Experience....

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 14, 2017.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok, I tried to record some in-game @ various Resolution w/Geforce experience.

I tried from 4k-5k-6k and 8k.

It seems that the video playback with 4k has better IQ(image quality) then @ 8k.

I looked into the video's file, the height and width on both are the same:

3460X2160.

Question, is it possible to record @ 3840X2400/8k with Geforce Experience??

I think the reason why 8k looks a lil worse then 4k while during playback is because the recorder(Geforce experience) is not really capable of handling 8k, or am I wrong here?

I tried both 30 & 60 fps @ 8k, the video playback seems better the one with 30 fps.

I also used the maximum Recording bitrate, still no go.

5k seems good but the video file is still the same: 3460X2160.

Is this the max the recorder can go??

Any other game recorder I can use that's capable of handling in-game 8k?

Just to give everyone heads up, I am using the older version of geforce experience, I don't like the gui and that log in b.s. with the newer one, alot of people don't like it either.

If I go back to the newer version, will this fix the issue?

UPDATE:

Forgot to tell everyone that, maybe one of the main reason why the playback looks worse in 8k is that the Videos Height And Width is 2560X1600.

8k Is basically a testing thingy, Not long term. Older games are no problem, today's games, forget it.

Another Update:

I have to push record button while under desktop then into the game itself, otherwise the game's fps cuts down big time, this explains why the the video playback @ 8k is @ 2560X1600, but despite that, the video play is @ 3454X2160.

Also using the latest geforce experience just for kicks as guess what:

Stlll its a no go.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    yah the Nvidia Share thing only supports up to 4K resolutions. I don't think the hardware encoder chip they have on these cards support anything above 4k. So there just isn't a way to get Nvidia Share to record in higher resolutions beyond 4K.

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/share
    "Records up to 4K resolution at 130 Mbps."

Also just by the nature of how Nvidia Share works it duplicates the frame buffer and sends it to the hardware encoder.. The frame buffer will have the same resolution as your display. So if it's a 1440p screen you'll get 1440p video out of NV Share. Even if you're using DSR to run much higher resolutions the image gets rescaled before sending it to the frame buffer to output to your monitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Share
    Share can use two capture methods: Frame Buffer Capture (NVFBC) and Inband Frame Readback (NVIFR). NVFBC is used in full screen mode. NVIFR is used in windowed mode only because it has a higher performance impact.

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Ok here's what I did since youtube don't support 5/6k, only 4k and 8k(30 fps) that I know of, I recorded @ 4k + 2x2ss, and came out prettie good, playback seems good, take a look on these two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo4AFYIhYyE&index=2&list=PLv7whYPHSlwTBJhqlAp7x65hR4FIJ-5lC

And this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7GO5TpAP88&index=6&list=PLv7whYPHSlwTBJhqlAp7x65hR4FIJ-5lC

If your viewing at 4k, make sure you don't select full screen as it drastically slows down the video a bit, try doing normal or wide view.

And for some odd reason, Viewing the video @ 1440p looks just as good as 4k, in some instances, even 1080p, If you go down the quality a bit more, The video quality might lessen but any visible jaggies becomes blurred out, thus no jaggies will show up but the quality of the video won't be as good of course.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017