1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Fixed GPU fan speed?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 321Boom, Apr 11, 2018.

1. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Thanks for this, seems like a better idea than having a fixed fan curve. I like the idea of it being at 30% even on idle, and can ramp up if it needs to.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Having a fixed fan speed does sometimes help me keep a more stable OC (less throttling) in very demanding games, or during the summer. But after testing this for a while I've concluded that it's not really necessary and will most likely stop using this unless necessary.

The only real benefit is that temps are generally more stable instead of spiking here and there if the load goes up.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I don' t really understand why they came with up with a full stop in idle.

Id rather have my GPU idle at 26C as it does now @ 35%, than 40-50C at full stop.

4. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    I could understand that, fighting the heat before it gets too high to cause throttling, especially when OCing so pushing more voltage in and getting hotter faster.

I don't understand it either. It's a component which generates heat, air flow should be beneficial to it's health even at temperatures lower than 60C.

I fully agree with you, I'd rather idle at a lower temp as you're stating, while also having a nice constant flow of cooler air breezing through the GPU. I took your suggestion and set a fan curve from 0 to 45C at 30% speed, then from there-on it increases gradually till it hits 100%.

Thanks for your suggestions and everyone else that pitched in to help. Greatly appreciated gurus :)

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    Agreed, I think every after market cooler is quiet at such low RPM.