Recommend me a motherboard

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by MaskedMuchaco, May 12, 2015.

1. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    Hi,

I have been trying in vain to get a decent overclock on my FX8350 but am held back by the useless MSI 990FXA-GD65 I bought for £35 18 months ago.

It has options in the UFI that do nothing, MSI have admitted that they don't have documentation from AMD so can't enable the FSB multiplier. (can't see how that can be true)

The Vcore is limited to 1.44v

The Northbridge overheats due to the tiny heatsink and the VRMs get too hot for comfort.

Currently My CPU is at 4.5ghz and with a custom loop it never goes over 45 degrees. I know it can do a lot more but the motherboard is holding it back.

I put it under water only because it's something I always wanted to do but now it's done I want to get as much from the CPU as I can so it looks like I need a new motherboard.

I would really like an ASUS but can't quite stretch to a sabretooth unless I can find one used at a good price.

Are there any motherboards that are decent overclockers for about £100 that will allow me to go crossfire in the future?

2. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    This one got a good review from Hilbert a little while back

3. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    I had considered the MSI 970 Gaming but as I want to option of adding a second R9 290, I don't want to be limited to 8x PCIe 2.0 per card so am set on getting a board with the 990X chipset. Plus I have lost trust in MSI after the issues with the UEFI on this 990FX-GD65 that look like they will never be fixed.

I have looked at the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 but am a little put off by it's 6+2 power phases and that it's only £15 cheaper than a sabretooth.

AM3+ boards do seem quite overpriced for their age considering most have been around for over a year, some much more. :cry:

4. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Asus Crosshair V Formula of FormulaZ

5. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    Funny you should say that, I just got myself a used Formula Z yesterday for £100. :)

Now I just have to wait for it to be delivered and hope it actually works.