Recommend me a case :)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Danny_G13, Aug 10, 2017.

1. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

I have just built in this case custom water loop and will see how it performs and what temperatures my friend will hit or get

Regarding the build quality, is not bad, there are worse cases than DG-87, have look on Corsair 750D which is very cheaply made

Side panels are good, back panel has been first time pain to remove but still not bad, at back is lots of space and case is pretty roomy

60mm radiators can be problem to fit but is doable, friend running only 360mm at front and top plus fans in push pull configuration

Will see how is restrictive, front and top looks like can be and will do tests when all parts are here and how fans sounds in this case

At what RPM are you running yours fans, I would expect you need to run fans faster if you want to overcome restriction of front and rear exhaust panel etc

Its not bad case, but agree there are better cases, I recommended him Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

2. jmcc

jmcc Member

GPU:
    Radeon R7 265 2GB GDDR5
    Corsair 780T

3. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    There's just not enough suggestions so far :p

Thanks guys, I'll fully digest all this and reply later on!

4. ESlik

ESlik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I run my case fans at 40 percent. ML fans have high air flow at 40, and run very quiet. Some DG 87 owners have had good experiences, but far too many have various issues. I'm sure you've checked the EVGA owners forum. Let me know what your temps etc. are once you have your cooling etc. installed. I might learn something here. Thanks..

5. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX OC
    My 400D has amazing space and it's a lot smaller than the 900D. You can fit at least 2 rads in it. It's actually quite light with everything installed due to not having any spinning HDDs in it.

6. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Next week I will have remaining parts over here for friend, waiting only on few splitters and Mayhems Pastel Red which I should receive on Tuesday as latest and will do few tests and see what temperatures will be like on GPU and CPU

Fans I will be controlling through the Aquaero 5LT not through the case controller, fans used are 6* Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XLP and 6* Phanteks PH-F120SP

Can't comment on ML120 or ML140 fans, didn't tried them but will have them for other friend build and will see how they perform

Its with every case there, some people do have better temperatures like others with same case, lots of depends on ambient temperature and fan speeds but sometimes too many fans can cause only airblow and not have airflow

Will post results later on next week

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7970m/970 Mini, KD55XD800
    Might be lost in the noise and too late, but get a light case.

I had an expensive case like a decade ago, some sound proofing nonsense.

It weighed a ton, moving it was not nice, working on it was not nice. Of course back then cheap cases didn't have cable management and might have sliced your fingers open on machined edges (I got that once, holy balls so much blood). But a £30-50 case is fine imo now, they have cable management, has slotable drive bits. I have bought between me and friends 3-4 £30-40 thermaltake cases, not absolute bottom edge but nowhever near top end.

Your sound proofing comes from, get better fans, get bigger heatsinks, get a PSU that doesn't rotate until higher loads (I don't think my PSU has ever used its fan) and use a SSD as your main drive

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    I've had light cases before. They were absolute rubbish for my needs. The trick is getting the right case. Price is not important. £350 might be what it takes to get the case you want, or a £50 one might suffice.

But in my case I want specific things and a cheap nasty won't cover it.

9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Actually really like the look of this.

10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Went with Corsair in the end. 450D. Compact, looks nice, well-priced, and seems close to nailing the most of what I want.

Arrives tomorrow. Now I pray it fits everything!

11. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    Thermaltake core x9.
    just today I put my old rig (i7 920 running @ 3.7ghz on aircooling + gtx 1070) in the Thermaltake core x9...

I can tell you one thing... if you add the few really "needed" fans it is an amazing case to play around with...
    Look at reviews... it has room for 250mm high cpu coolers amongst other really great features...

I myself added:
    2x 140 mm fans in the rear (be quiet silent wings 3 which i bought for this build)
    1 at cpu heatsink level (replacing the stock TT one) as exhaust
    1 below the montherboard at the CPU side as intake fan
    2x Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 fans (swapped them over from my old case which was a Cooler master haf XM)
    1 above the CPU heatsink as exhaust (helps a lot to remove the heat)
    1 in the front left as exhaust (may not be needed but it removes heat so why not...)
    4x be quiet silent wings 3 120mm in the bottom of the case (all 4 moving wind upwards, like intake fans, swapped them over from another build)
    2 are blowing on the underside of my motherboard running @12V
    (i removed the cpu back cover/extra hdd mount so i can keep the underside of the motherboard at a lower temp. This helps a lot because with this new case/setup my CPU runs 6 to 7°C lower in most tests compared to my previous case wich had no fans blowing on the backside of my motherboard)
    2 are blowing air up next to the motherboard tray (these 2 are rather pointless i guess but they run at 5V and i had them laying around so why not)

on top i am still able to install an extra 4 120 mm fans (2 next to each 200 mm fan) as extra intake or exhaust fans but what would/could these add...?

As it sits now the loudest part of my whole PC is my GPU (asus strix 1070 o8g)
    This is because i make it run at a minimum fan speed of 50% with msi afterburner.

it is truly a case that will last me several future upgrade builds like the coffee lake one i'm planning on in several months...

tl;dr:
    look at Thermaltake core x9
    when thinking of buying know this:
    add 2x 140 mm fans (one at cpu heatsink level as exhaust, one below motherboard on cpu side as intake)
    add 2x 120mm in the bottom (with one of the included brackets) blowing up on the backside of the motherboard (this lowered my temps a solid 6 to 7°C)
    add whatever you want at the top.
    On the top side this case fits:
    - 2x Cooler Master MegaFlow 200 fans (placed diagonally across from each other) combined with another 4x 120mm fans
    OR 8x 120mm fans
    OR 6x 140mm fans

12. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    @superpoeper

If you are still on X58 then I would suggest get X5670 or X5675 or X5690 and OC these, these CPU are very nice to have and very easy to cool on air

Have owned X5670 and used Thermalright HR02 Macho with 2* TY-147A for cooling this chip and under Prime95 or OCCT I have seen max 72°C as max with 4.4GHz OC

Thermaltake X9 not sure if I would choose, have owned X71, great case, not lots of space at back, lots of space for fans, solid case although these plastic panels are not best quality and feels very flimsy

I build in this case for my friend water cooling loop and we are went through few issues

Sadly 200mm fans are rubbish in airflow and performance ratio, only fan which I know perform good is Silverstone AP181 and new Noctua 200mm, these Bitfenix or Coolermaster fans are rubbish and don't perform very well

Secondly why I don't like the Thermaltake cases as these cases are pretty much rip off of the Caselabs cases and comparing both cases like is simple not possible

You are running lots of fans which you shouldn't need there as in yours case this does look more like airblow not airflow

With good case you don't need to put on every mounting fan, optimisation is key to have good temperatures, as first two 140mm fans at front will push more air than two 2 120mm fans, exhaust fans 1 is more than enough, removing PCI_E slot covers will help with front to rear airflow and if you can mount at bottom one extra fan you should gain a bit on better GPU temperatures , but then I recommend to raise case

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

13. superpoeper

superpoeper Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    my personal experience with the coolermaster 200 mm fans is that they are very low noise (but with low static pressure, they are not made for use with radiators)
    and for me they move more than enough air compared to the noise they make...

I put all those fans in the Core X9 case because i had them transferred over from previous builds (i only bought 2 new 140 mm fans)
    Also they are all controlled with fan controllers (exept the 2 200mm ones they run at 12V)

with the Core X9 there is only one plastic frame and that is the actual frame of the front panel (and the side window of course), even the mesh on the front panel is metal...
    It is also a totally different animal compared to X71 since the motherboard is installed horizontally on the motherboard tray instead of the usual vertical hanging position...

14. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Agree these Coolermaster fans are low noise fans and doesn't have good airflow or doesn't push too much air if I'm comparing them to other fans, 200mm using on radiator is bit pointless that's without the question

For radiator I use 120 or 140mm fans and depending on build where I choosing fans, if its more performance orientated or where focus is more on noise, but usually I end up with middle road

This doesn't matter if motherboard hanging, have used in horizontal few heavy CPU coolers like Thermalright HR02 Macho BW, Noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15S plus Cryorig R1 Ultimate or Universal and no issues with that

X9 does look good but I have been put off by not enough space for HDD and still would prefer if this case has been more taller or higher and after my experience with X71 I wouldn't touch Thermaltake cases although I have been looking at WP100 or WP100 for my custom water loop but saw few threads regarding these cases and will be going with Caselabs rather although will be expensive going with that case

Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks, Jura

15. Killian38

Killian38 Member

GPU:

16. jura11

jura11 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti +2*1080 FE EK
    Hi there

Finally we are managed get build running
    Stock fans are overall very loud at 100%,at 45-65% they're OK and sounds OK

In this build I used 6* Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XLP and 6*Phanteks PH-F120SP, at 100% Noiseblocker are loud but they're controlled by Aquaero 5LT like Phanteks which at 100% are pretty quiet and temperatures inside never been higher than 25-26°C during the rendering or gaming or in folding Folding@home, seen only 30°C during the folding where I tested fans but friend will be not pushing the PC or CPU or GPU in folding

Currently have set fans at top at 1100-1200RPM and front are running at 800-1000RPM as max and at this RPM noise is very good and would say its perfect and performance is really nice

Water temperature is around 23°C and ambient temperature is at 24°C, idle on GTX1080Ti is around 23-24°C but in gaming temperatures are at 36-38°C with fans running at above speeds, CPU is running 4.5Ghz and temperatures are still pretty much like I have on my, maybe touch higher but not so big margins,I would say by 5°C as max but think this is related to radiator

During the gaming water delta T is around 6-7°C which is bit high on single GPU and CPU but I think will need to tweak the fans

GPU is OC to 2113MHz and +400MHz on VRAM

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura