Recommend a X50 mobo with these features...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Sneakers, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Rampage III Extreme is the only 1366 board i would buy if i had to buy another board.

2. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    ^ Well, I used to think the same but UD9 would not be bad either it seems lol.

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT X TRIO
    or could just water cool your sli setup :biggun:

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Watercooling and getting UD9s and Rampage IIIs are out of the question, it is not worth the money at all in my case.

When going H20 it is to 1) oc more 2) lower fan noise neither of wich I currently have problems with to be honest.

Seems the mobos I have to pick between are basically UD3R, UD5R, ASUS P6X58D-E and possibly ASUS P6T WS

What I still don't know regarding the asus and UD boards is how the PCI-E lanes are wired.

What I want is to be able to use my soundcard wich is PCI-E x1 along with two ( not next to eachother but with as much space as possible ) PCI-E x16 slots @ x16 2.0 and in worst case atleast have one of them running at x8 2.0.

Question regarding the UD series is wether or not the slots will run in x8 2.0 if I put in a pci-e x1 card in the top slots making use of the first pci-e x16 @ x16 slot and then the last pci-e x16 @ x8 slot or of by putting in a x1 soundcard will result in saturating the shared 2ndary pci-e busring.

Imo the above should work since the pci-e x1 should be a regular 1.1 right and not 2.0 then that slot would have been x4 no?

With the ASUS question is wether the board gives me x16 x16 x1 and x16 x1 x16 ( in that order ) and if putting a single pci-e x1 card will affect that obviously shared first pci-e busring.

I mean it is tricky especially since there is no real information regarding the issue.

A new standard on boards should be to make the primary pci-e slots as far apart from eachother as possible and then just supply people with alonger flexi sli/cf connector or like the nvidia boards had before a long 3x SLI glasfiber/kisel connector making the distance a no isse.

Really not sure if I explained my concerns and questions well enough, hard enough to try and explain it face to face not to mention in written format :)

/edit

My old XFX 780i had a great layout with the layout of 1 3 2 when it came to the pci-e x16 slots. When running only 2x cards both ran at x16 2.0 and when 3 cards they ran x16 x16 x8 wich is pritty close to optimal.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

5. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    C'mon guys I need some pro advice here :)

I can't find any info and not really sure where to look other then random googling for reviews and on asus.com.

Even posted on asus forum but only dimwits on there it seem.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    What kind of soundcard do you have?

If its PCIe x1 that runs off the southbridge (I think) as do PCI slots, so no loss of PCIe lanes to the gfx cards, so in that case I'd go for the Gigabyte board (bad personal experiences with ASUS), but if its PCI, go for the ASUS one.

7. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I got both pci and pci-e x1 version of the same card, bought a new one ( pcie-x1 ) the other day when I got the sabertooth.

The big question is whether the ASUS p6tx58d-e can run x16 x1 x16 ( so that I use slot 1 and 3 for gpus ) or of it only can do x16 on the 1st and 2nd slot, in that case the asus board is useless aswell, unless one enjoy 100% fan noise.. :puke2:

Atleast with the gigabyte I can get a guaranteed bottom pci-e x16 @ x8 2.0 slot wich should be enough, though it is kinda gay that I have to use a x8 instead of a proper x16..kinda removes one of the reasons to go x58 and not p55 Oo..

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I should imagine all but uber highend X58s can do what you want, like the UD9 for example.

Think your gonna be stuck with X16 X8. As for the impact of your sound card not sure what would happen there.

Just read on the Overclockers website, that i linked in my first post, a reviewer wrote the Asus board will do x16 x8 if the first and third slots are used.

So you can try your sound card in the x1 slot see what happens, if its a no go you still have a PCI slot avaliable to use. Its not like PCI is going to vanish anytime soon i wouldn't have thought. You can see from Hilberts P67 previews PCI is still going, actually thinking of getting PCI soundcard for myself just so i can eliminate another power cable ;)

9. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    The third (grey) PCIe slot on the Asus is not capable of running x16 mode, it's only x8 maximum... You can manually select modes for the second and third PCIe slots in the Northbridge config section of the BIOS, so the board can run up to x16 x16 x1 and up to x16 x8 x8.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010