Recognition of old HDD and optical drives in Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Fatty, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Fatty

Fatty Member

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
    I'm still using an old XP machine, always intending to get round to playing many unplayed XP/Vista era games.

But with the end of XP support coming in April, that will leave XP machine use online increasingly vulnerable, therefore I have decided to change to / also get, a Windows 7 machine.

Option 1

One option is to get a nice quiet gaming machine without going too far, after all it's mainly for XP/Vista era games. I have found out that in practice most XP games will work in 7. I would still have the old XP machine to use if need be for any problem games. Cost - about a grand for a nice new box, with 7.

Option 2

Get my next new box long into the future and maybe by then Windows 9 even. Carry on using the existing physical machine, subject to a change of OS from XP to 7 and a change of any hardware that just doesn't have drivers available to work with 7.

Option 2 is what I'm asking about here in this thread.

Thus far I have ascertained my very good in it's day MB, does have Win7 64 drivers available. My still respectable GPU doesn't, so that means a new card, but nowadays for the needs of these games it dosn't involve a lot of money. I've recently put in a new PSU and I've got a new case fan arriving tomorrow. So it does look like it's worth fighting for this machine. I'm still working on finding out about the very good sound card. Let's hope.
    So far we're talking about the OS at about £70 OEM and a new GPU at about £90 .. Not much really compared to a grand on a whole new machine.

So what does that leave ? Ah, the HDD and the DVD drives and a multi card reader. This is what I'm asking about here. This machine was bought in 2007, with one of the dvd units being replaced sometime in between. I wonder and am hoping that for all these kind of devices, the drivers are pretty generic and compatable as new Windows OS arrive. If not and it means replacing all of these on top of the OS and GPU, then, obviously, there's no point ! I'd just get a new machine.

So, what applies here ? Will whatever new version of Windows simply be able to identify that; here is an HDD, here is a dvd writer and here is a card reader, etc and get on with it without fuss or need for installation of drivers specific to the OS. This despite even the change from 32 bit to 64 bit ?
    Or, am I wasting my time i.e. none of the above will work without specific drivers, which will probably not be available.

Can you tell me which applies please ?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Hard drives and dvd drives will not need any specific drivers other than what is included with Win 7.

3. Fatty

Fatty Member

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
    Ah good, this is encouraging.

So even though the HDD and at least one of the optical drives came from 2007, Windows 7's included drivers will control these devices without fuss or conflict ?

I repeated this about the age of the units, just in case a responder skimmed over that bit.

Not even a 32 bit / 64 bit problem ? ( If there was I could alwasy get a 32 bit Win 7 )

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970

5. Fatty

Fatty Member

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
    Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated.

I think the course I shall take is fight to save the machine and avoid a new one at a grand. The latter does seem overkill just to play XP era games and surf the net, albeit with smoother running general systems.

For the sake of about a hundred and fifty quid I can resume playing these games, with a quieter system, a bit more power and with an interesting new OS, Win 7 to try out, meanwhile being safe online.

I shall buy Win 7 64 OEM and a Sapphire Radeon 7750 Ultimate, a fanless card. LOL if it melts I can always buy that new machine after all !

Now to check out my Xfi Fatality - another component worth keeping, especially with that vesatile break-out box on the front of the PC. That's the only thing I'm not sure of vis a vis Win 7 drivers.

6. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Master Guru

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    this is good plan men but i think teh XP will still be safe on the net for long times becos u have firewalls to block evil men from gettin u.

if u need help on settin the walls up PM me for advices (XP)

7. Fatty

Fatty Member

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
    I draw an analogy with a medieval castle.

Your soldiers are your anti virus. The drawbridge and portcullis are your firewall and the castle's own integrity is your operating system.

The way I see it, I could have the best bunch of soldiers going and the strongest front door, but if I decide to let something through that seems okay, that doesn't stop the damage being done by the rogue stone masons who came through to make cracks in my foundations :). Exploits attacking a no longer robust system ( castle ) undermine it's integrity.

Isn't this pretty much right ?

Besides, I'm quite looking forward to exploring Win 7, which was long overdue with me.