Recently got a FTW ACX EVGA 960 and seems unstable!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by savannahmick, Oct 14, 2015.

1. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    I recently upgraded to a EVGA ACX 2.0 FTW 960 from a old GTX470 but I seem to have nothing but issues! I also clean installed Win 10x64 and always install drivers with clean option. And even right now I just noticed my card is stuck at 539mhz core clock! WTF! I will restart and it will be ok but its bugging me due to the fact if I OC more than +50 in EVGA Precision with +12mv driver crashes in benchmarks and games also! I do have some older hardware but still does well in games and benchmarks getting a score higher than 68% of the total runs in PC Mark 8. Sometimes the color settings revert out of the blue and clocks get stuck in weird lower MHZ! Heck I don't know whats up! Any ideas? Thanks!
    My rig is as it states in my sig.!

2. Vellinious

Vellinious Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW x 2
    Look at GPUz in the sensors tab and see if it's getting a "perf cap reason".

Also...if you're just browsing the net with a few windows open, it's normal for the GPU to clock itself down when not being fully utilized.

3. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Hey thanks for the reply!

I am so tired of restarting my rig after trying to get a decent OC setup in EVGA Precision with my new EVGA FTW 960 2GB ! I had a PNY XLR8 GTX 470 for years running a 150mhz gain on Core and +100mhz on memory with no issues EVER! I finally decided to get a new card and I am going to sling my whole rig off the roof soon! The ACX 2.0 FTW 960 2GB card running a CLEAN install of Win 10 x64 and EVGA Precision x16 for the OC has been a nightmare! I can't go over 50mhz gain in the core without getting driver stops. I figured it was the TDR value since its a default of 2 so I followed a guide to adjust it in redegit and added a value of 6 but I tired to test it with EVGA OC scanner and immediately I got a kernel error code 3 before it was error code of 7! Anyway this is occurring with my core at +116/1420mhz - memory at +75/3655 - +12mv and Nvidia claims 1500 core and 4000 memory is not unheard of with the same card! WHAT am I doing wrong or what could be my issue? My PSU is 600wt and my rig setup is in my SIG. Older games dont work worth a shiznizil and drivers suck! Any ideas? Is my voltage to low? By the way I have power set at 100% and temp is priority at 85c. Help!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If it's not the drivers or your PSU, then I'm sorry to say you just got a bad overclocker. Yes that is possible. I've been in that boat.

5. dwiewolverine

dwiewolverine Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 Ti SLI
    maybe you got bad card fabrication,why you not try to RMA..

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What is the reason for the RMA? Overclocking is not a warranty issue.

7. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Your card is already pushed by the factory overclock, it has 1304 base clock. Check how high is the boost clock in real world testing, games. I bet it's stable at over 1500. PCPer did test 12 GTX960 for overclocking and the highest value was 1576 so it's nothing unusual that your card "only" manages 50 on the core, it should probably give you a bit more Mhz but it's almost useless in terms of performance, the FTW is already factory overclocked close to the GM206 limit.

8. Vellinious

Vellinious Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW x 2
    You can start by downloading GPUz, opening the sensors tab, and have it running while you're gaming or running a stress test. The perf cap reason will tell you why you're card isn't performing well...whether it's voltage limitations, power limitations, etc.

Getting angry isn't going to fix it....use some diagnostic tools and help us to help you figure it out. Like I previously suggested.

9. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    Mine used to run at 1544.5/8000 in SLI, until I side-grade to a single 970. Most EVGA stock bios files are unstable. They need tinkering to unlock their full potential

10. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    I took me a week to figure out my video card issues.

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @crappy daddy. True, OP should make sure not to overreact. +50 means different things for different cards and BIOS'. For example with my BIOS +9 means 1400mhz on the core.

12. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Thanks for all the advice and help!

I did get it up to +100 after I realized that some test\apps\programs are not the best for Win10. For example now for some reason when I use EVGA with Oc Scanner as a test from Precision driver will stop responding. So I am not real happy with the new card but it is faster than my old GTX470! Lol! I just wish I didn't have to spend half my time on my rig troubleshooting! Arrgghhhh! I did take my time reading up on effects of sliders since I used MSI AF for years with the old GTX470 and the interface with Fermi is different. It is going to get better I hope or I'll sell it and try a different brand and\or series of Nvidia. Thanks again for your advice and tips!

13. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    Nightmare continues! FTW960

Now I have got the """""" is blocked from accessing graphics hardware bug GEEZ I am at my limits with the issues. Anyway I have got the blocked message in a couple games and OC Scanner it sucks cause seems to get worse from what I seen in the forums! It is a common issue recently does anyone know where to start? RMA, or registry, or drivers? I am going to try a couple things then reinstall the GTX470 and try to recreate it with diff. gpu that will help me decide RMA now or not. Thanks again for any advice!!