Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    I have no such issue with speed step, c states, pretty much all power saving features enabled. both win7 and now 10, not a single issue with the gtx 970 that diminishes gameplay in any way.

there must be an issue somewhere in the system that is causing these stutters, because if it was the nvidia drivers on a widerspread level, the thread would be much bigger.

2. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Well ****. You're right!

Using that ME driver made things maybe 30% better. Then I rolled back to 347.25 and all my games are 100% smooth now. Thanks for the tips ;)

With that said, stuttering is something tricky. Just because people say that they don't have any stuttering, doesn't mean that they don't. Some people are not so sensitive to it so they think that everything is super smooth. Same thing with AA, some people think that their games look completely fine without it, others buy sli setups just so they can run everything at 8x msaa.

For example, my wife's pc has a lot of bad stuttering, but she thinks that all her games look fine. Even if I play the same game on my pc without stuttering, she can't tell the difference.

3. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I know a lot of people like that. I only have one family member that can see subtle stuttering now, and they probably hate me for pointing it out. I'm the type that will refuse to play a game if the game has frametime variations of more than 1-5ms or has drops to 59 from 60, etc. More people need to get a better feel and understanding about frametimes instead of being obsessed with seeing a chart at 100+ FPS. A 30fps game with a constant 33.3ms frametime is so much smoother than a 60fps game with constant fluctuations above 16.7ms. Even small things like The Witcher 3 having a frametime spike when opening and closing the menu bugs me. The vast majority of people sadly don't notice these things.

Mario Kart 8 drove me insane the first night it released, I was the only one not having 100% fun. I kept seeing the game dip to 59fps for no reason over and over again.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  4. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Actually, disabling Speedstep, c states and the link power management in rst console will boost performance and stop any random stange hitching.

But leaving them on is also harmless.But i have them off.

The hitching is on nvidia side and nothing can be done, most people think this is normal due to believing its there system because its not high end rig or a "hardware malfunction", no modded drivers from tweak drivers can fix this either.

You can downgrade your drivers to 347.25 to play your old games perfectly but for newer titles that needs performance patched up (witcher 3) requires the newer drivers

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I keep C1E and ESIT on, didn't really notice anything out of ordinary.

Yep I almost fcked mine when I installed Broadwell IMEI firmware 9.1.xxxx for Z97 mobos, all was ok except like you said pcie clock, mine was pinned to 101mhz no matter what.

Although I got really lucky and I could use flashback feature via usb on the back on mobo..
    http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

btw about IMEI driver, so you say anything 11.xx.144 is buggy? Im at latest 162 atm I think and I'm experiencing some weird low gpu usage & fps drops in Cryenigne3 game Ryse Son Of Rome..

Shader cache off helped a bit but it didnt eliminate it. Win8.1 was ok, but idk what IMEI driver I used there, I think I reverted to one older v10 at some point.

6. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Nope, MEI 11.0.0.1144 is actually perfect. Not buggy at all.

Try it with Ryse and any Cryengine3 game. When installing you'll need to overwrite the newer one which removes the performance

You won't get any low gpu usage and fps drops.

N.B

The only setting i don't have on high performance is the Power management mode in Nvidia CP which is Set to Adaptive.

I've been testing this for a few hours, i don't see any performance impact, no hitching either when this is set to apdative. it actually preserves the gpu and uses its full performance when under load.

The intel power saving settings are very aggressive and i set them off.

7. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Interesting, I've never installed the Intel Management Engine Interface before. I've never had stuttering either.

8. Sergio

Sergio Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 760 DirectCU II OC
    I tested many times. MGS5 stuttering comes from "Effects" video option. Lowering it 1 tick solves whole stuttering going on. To test it, just jump in to ground with "Effects" settings at max. You will see instant fps drop and alot of stuttering for 2-3 secs. I tested on 353.82 also and same result, for me its not driver related, its just max "Effects" option. Even running on desert causing alot of stuttering for me , and sometimes Fulton also causing fps drops and stuttering. Only solution is to lowering "Effects" option. THan everything is butter smooth.

Here is the thread on steam about fps drop with Dust effects etc http://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/527274088396272806/

9. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Did you try 347.25?

Interesting i'll try it with the new driver and the old driver and compare. I have no stuttering tho. The only hitching i get so far is the cutscene with ocelet and big boss when carrying him to view the ship while talking about rescuing miller.

Thats normal. I cross test the ps4 version also, so it stutters at the same point.

NB

ill definitely test it. thanks. i just read the thread.

10. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Its not stuttering, its low gpu usage frame drop. its almost like its moving in slow motion..

Its not the gta v triple buffer bug where you have to change to fullscreen to windowed and then to fullscreen to activate triple buffering so it won't keep dropping 30.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's been awful for me on Windows 10. I used to force vsync through the nv cp in Diablo 3 to get a smooth fps instead of stutter and it is broken now. I have to put up with the in game vsync. My TV still flickers black every now and then. Sometimes when resuming from sleep, the driver will crash and explorer will not respond unless the PC is restarted. What a mess. Please fix.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Sorry I meant anything past 11.x.x.144, e.g. 11.0.0.1160

btw I usually Install just driver part, this from MSI has whole suite.. Is there a way just to extract the driver out of that installer?

13. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Anything past 144 runs bad. I'm not why they removed the performance upgrade.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well I just tried one old 10.0.30.1054 driver before updating to whole suite from 11.x.x.144 and fps drops are still there, Im at 353.90 atm.

EDIT: omg! I went ahead and installed whole suite 11.x.x.144 and reset gfx to default high just in case and yep now it stays at great fps :)

Before it use to drop to 40% and fps ~ 35-45fps, now 70-85fps all the time!!

Thanks!

EDIT2: ok this is weird, I decided to remove that extra IMEI bloatware
    Intel Technology Access
    Intel Security Assist

and now I got those fps drops again, at first I thought its nvidia driver forced FXAA fault, but even after removing it and restoring default ingame High with blurry postAA it was still happening.. Will reinstall whole suite again. :infinity:

Yep installed everything back, repair option and fps are normal again, ah well. :)

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yep, it really does.

25-30% GPU usage, and a framerate that averages around 25fps but dips as low as 15fps.

19x10, 4xMSAA and everything maxed.

[​IMG]

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Which games are hitching for you with newer drivers?

17. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Diablo 3 is the only game that still stutters. Does any of you guys found any fix for it? Or is it truly something only blizzard can fix?

18. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    I think for Diablo III the only way to get it to run at a smooth 60fps and not a jittery 60fps I had to use D3DOverrider to force TB/Vsync.

19. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 3060Ti
    Thanks for confirming the same thing I was seeing.

I'm in driver hell at the moment testing various things with different games. I just want to sit down and play some frickin games but my OCD kicks in at the slightest pause, stutter and hitch.

Perhaps I should go console....at least you expect them then :)

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I used to force vsync in the nv control panel and disabled it in game. Switching between 59hz and 60hz in the resolution setting also made a big difference. But that was in 8.1, in windows 10 it's all broken.