Recent Nvidia Drivers are the cause of your hitching/stuttering in games.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by snight01, Sep 14, 2015.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  2. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    I used that before the driver was released and now im wondering, Why do we have to pay or use a application to optimize the timer resolution for the cpu?

Intel does it much better. It doesnt drop it to crazy low resolution, it seems to drop on the exact mark to help the game perform great and its very consistent and 100% accurate.

This can be probably the best MEI driver Intel ever released.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    All fine for me, but i'm still on Windows 7.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Windows 10 x64 Pro and upgraded from 8.1 and no issues at all.

Only had 2 games crash on me (black ops 1 and 2) but that was due to a game update that broke some old files in the steam folder. Verifying the game cache and it fixes the issue.

Every game I play (and i have over 300 games on steam, 30 games on origin, and 20 games on uplay, and countless emulators) and everything works fine.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I don't have any issues either, all smooth here (clean Win 10 install). I always use v-sync though.

6. Margusx

Margusx Active Member

GPU:
    Msi GTX970 gaming 4g
    Hmm Thanks for ME driver seems solved stuttering.
    I have also maximus hero VII i own it 1 year by now all this year passed with issues on games now seems issues less but not perfect.
    Im also in win 10 x64 seems good now but not perfect.

7. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    On my side I'm using the tool developed by Guru3D community to set it at 0.5ms at Windows start up:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=376458&highlight=STRservice

MEI is the SW part but there are also firmwares related to that. On my side, I’m suing the latest available for my platform (9.1.32.1002). It is possible that latest MEI SW relies on new functions that are in recent firmware.
    But I'm not excited to verify that on my system :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  8. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    I'm having the same issue, I'll give those tips a try. I'm also using win10.

The problem is that some of my games play smooth like a dream, others give me crazy stuttering.

It's well known though that the release version of win10 (10240) also gives stuttering in games, the later builds (10532+) fixes that.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Can't say i've had any performance issues either, 355.82, vsync always enabled.
    W10 upgrade, not clean install and no OS tweaks.

Is there any specific i can do to try and reproduce things?

Edit: Actually forgot until the post below mentioned it, using Build 10532.

10. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    10532 fixes it huh, where do I get hold of that?? I'm willing to give it a try as I do prefer Windows 10.

Redemption don't suppose you have a copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 you could try on those drivers? It's been known to have ridiculously low gpu usage on it.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Windows Update, Advanced Options, then Insider Builds.

Yeah i do have BFBC2, will try it in a bit.

I also am only running a single card at the moment.

12. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    it is better to update mei firmware when use new mei driver as most fix are actually in the firmware

13. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Audio 6.0.1.7534
    Chipset 10.1.1.8
    LAN 20.1.2019.0
    MEI 11.0.0.1144
    RST 14.5.0.1081

install all these from the biostar link.These drivers can work on windows 8.1 also. Don't use the ones on asus support, just get bios updates from asus.

Get the AMDA00 driver from manually installing from the Disk. I don't use optical drives so i made a iso.

All your performance issues should now be gone from the system side. Everything else should be gpu related to monitor and test.

From time to time you may see a unknown device in your device manager. It's harmless and doesn't impact performance in any way. Its Nettap6 i believe, it comes and goes. I'll figure out how to get rid of it once it doesnt impact performance.

Another weird thought, driver station doesnt have MEI 11.0.0.1144.

14. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Never update the MEI firmware for your motherboard (im guessing you got the firmware upgrades from driver-station too). It screwed up my bus speed in previous hero vii motherboard.

No matter what i tried i couldve never downgraded the firmware. How can i compare performance if i cant downgrade?

The only option was to buy a new bios chip or motherboard. Shouldn't really update to the latest firmware's or drivers without doing hard research that its compatible and doesn't break any performance.

The only modded firmware i installed was for my titan black. I don't update any firmware for my motherboard unless asus has it in a bios update.

15. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I do not think ASUS is checking that part unless there is a huge bug in the code.
    On my MB the FW for ME is quite old even in latest BIOS (like the RAID one but "unfortunately" we cannot change that unless hacking the BIOS).

As you said we must be careful and take the correct version but it is easy to check. The 2 first digits must be identical to the one that is already on your MB. For me (x99) it is 9.1.x.x.

16. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    By the way, what's the best driver for win10? since the oldest win10 driver is 352.63 I believe.

17. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    You can still use windows 8 drivers. They work just fine.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

I have zero issues with any drivers released for Win10. If some game stutters for you while another plays fine then it's more than likely to be a game's or some other background app fault and not the driver.

19. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I have these issues in 8.1 since the May driver, and updating to the newest one seems to have made it worse, plus in tw3 it now blurs everything around me for no reason until I fast travel.

Stutters in both gta5 and tw3. In gta5 I could fix it by restarting the game or alt tab it. Weird. With the May driver that is.

20. Margusx

Margusx Active Member

GPU:
    Msi GTX970 gaming 4g
    No need new chip check this i did same screwed with me firmware upgrade Now i use what bios itself use and thats all
    hxxps://youtube.com/watch?v=pMpFoOF-2Dw
    Ty for drivers yeah working good