Recent Gaming Dissappointments

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Hey all. So with the year 2008 slowly coming close to an end, and some new titles around the corner, I wanted to see what some of you thought of some of the recent larger title releases that you thought had lots of hype but just didn't deliver.

There are a couple games that I had high hopes for that just didn't do it for me.

Assassin's Creed for me was a big one. I remember looking at gametrailers and getting so stoked about playing Altaire and roaming around. How upset it made me when after jumping off of 50 towers all over the place, I realized just how basic the game really was. Sure the fighting is cool and I thought interesting, but having the same tasks over and over again, as well as different cities that all look the same, I gotta say I got so bored of it I couldn't bring myself to finish it!

Then we have The Witcher. I have to say I really liked this game. I still really like it. The graphics are good, the story is engaging and stuff, but honestly, after a while of playing it, it just loses its excitement for me. You end up just continually running around trying to finish quests, and because of how slow you run and no "teleport" system like in Oblivion, it results in you just living on the "w" key making Geralt run all over the place. ZZZZZ. I'm not so much dissappointed in the game as I am wishing that it went somewhere. A game like this should evolve imo.

I know lots of people will disagree, but Stalker for me is the ultimate dissappointment. Well, almost the #1. I was expecting all sorts of crazy mutated enemies and weird parts of the zone to come out and haunt me, but nothing like that happened. I played through and finished the game and by the end of it I was almost mad at how boring it really was. For a game that brings FPS and RPG elements together, it really felt hollow to me. Sure the graphics are good and stuff, but the game in itself is really too basic.

And my most hugest dissappointment in a game, well, ever, would be Unreal 3. Most people will have the same opinion as I do on this, so there is no real reason to go into detail. I'm not saying the engine is no good, but the game physics, the way they stripped the Unreal franchise of expandability and options, the horrible ingame interface, and just the poor execution really killed this game before it was even released. I still feel utterly sad over it all.

I just hope that upcoming games will have a bit more to offer..

2. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    crysis = disappointment to me. i personally liked farcry better. i think the game needs more guns, better hiding ability without cloak, etc

3. Brian the King

Brian the King Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 Ti OC
    I could not agree more. I loved UT, UT03, and UT04. Bought them all, played them all online, LAN'd them all with my friends hours on end... and I hate UT3. And you're right when you say no need to go into detail.

On that note, I don't really like videogames much anymore.. I used to simply love pc games in every way shape and form. I wasn't obsessed, but I loved playing talking about and buying videogames. Over the last two years, though, I've slowly cared less and less about games [i'm 18 now]. I really hit a wall with Bioshock; I have not bought a game since, and I didn't even finish the campaign.

This is why my laptop for school has no videocard.. I wouldn't have used it. All I play is Myst, Solitaire, Starcraft, and Diablo I/II. Few hours a week max.

^^ I don't know why I would type all this, I feel like I had to tell the internet:wanker:

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    there is a teleport system in Oblivion though

For me the biggest disappointment was Crysis, they spent all the time and money on the engine, and 0 on the story/QA, the 0 gravity bit has to be the biggest gameplay time padder of all time

I dont see why Crysis 2 is going to take so long, they could easily do it all with the current engine but add the Warhead optimisations etc. However i hope they dont just throw out expansions and not progress the story just to milk the game

5. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    STALKER - Clear Sky - The first game showed so much promise... pity they threw away the opportunity to put things right.

6. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Assassins Creed - Got it free with my GTX 280 and sold it the next day because I was so bored with it.

7. _cTn_

_cTn_ Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 980TI
    Crysis and Crysis Warhead (i known that Crysis gonna eat up your hardware, but warhead oh guys big letdown in crytek)
    Both Stalker releases, i remember hmm how long ago 2 years ? i saw a trailer from stalker (unbelievable graphics, scenes almost looking like in real, and when game pop up, it was unbelievable crap, and new stalker looks worst imo then the old one...)

8. Wunderbar_007

Wunderbar_007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570 GTX Superclocked
    Maybe it's just me, but to me all the recent releases (the ones I tried anyway) seem to be lacking for some reason. It feels like the older games were just so much better. Oh and as for UT3, I love that game, I think the gameplay is the best, but aside from gameplay I agree, it's disgusting what they did to that series! Even more disapointing is that they are doing almost nothing to fix it.

9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I agree about Assassin's Creed and Unreal 3.

And would like to add that Mercenaries 2: World In Flames sucked big time, boring, full of bugs, runs like crap, etc.

10. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    assassins creed blew 25 quid on it played for 20 mins bored out my brain

and UT3 was pretty average

EDIT i meant below average game is shockingly bad

11. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Age Of Conan, I had such high hopes, built a new PC just for it, then it flopped.
    I had 200+ man guild T3 city and keep, even did T1/2 raiding, it still just was not good.

Warhammer, ummm WTF its WOW, but you only get to play BGs and arenas 90% of the time.
    I preorderd it played the week of beta, and then cancled my preorder and removed it from my PC.

All the other lived up to what I thought they should be.
    I still have Crysis Warhead, and Stalker Clearsky to play.

12. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Lol everybody says Crysis, yet everyone buys it or plays it and the forums are full with it :)

Crysis was defenitely not a dissapointment for me. I like Crysis better than Warhead, there was action, stealth and levels only to explore. Warhead was too action packed.
    Most people say it sucked because they didn't get the performance they expected...

NFS prostreet anyone? ...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    sim city societies - no comment

agreed with vulturex about nfs pro street

spore - belive it or not, it's to cartoony altough it has innovation it is just not sims used to be

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Crysis, UT3, both stalker games, sof3

While they were a dissapointment, not offering what I expected, I still enjoy the stalker games alot though. The ability to easily mod the game makes it extra fun, don't like something? change it!

UT3 well... er let's just say any UT99 lover get's the point. Crysis, to short, I can live with a lineair shooter but ffs at least make it take longer then 4 hours.

One of the main problems I've noticed though, games haven't gotten shorter. I've just become that damn good. As a kid I spent weeks trying to beat Duke Nukem 3D, now I race through the entire game in 3 hours.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  15. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    SoF3 is probably the biggest disappointment for me. What a horrendous piece of rubbish that was. I don't have enough bad things to say about this 'game'.

I enjoyed UT3 but expected there to be more MP (I can for some reason never connect to any servers?).

Stalker I never really liked at all, so that wasn't really a disappointment... and to this day I cant understand why people like it so much. But that's just personal opinion.

As for Crysis, I never saw that as a game to PLAY, its more of a tech demo of sorts. It'd make a sweet movie that's for sure.

16. chris2k

chris2k Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6950 2GB
    Clear sky pile of s**t biggest dissapointment worse than the first.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    iam loving to play it but i must agree. First 1 is still better. Why u release a game that even can be considered as ALPHA release. damn.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Crysis lacked something, it was still good game but Warhead is so much better. They did not over hype it. Original Crysis was indeed a bit dissappointing but it was original. I just don't get it why people love cod4 even though it is the same pipe shooter than previous cod games but now in modern time. They just keep milking the same cow. They should stop that and make something totally new. All cod games have been dissappointing after first one.

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Oh dear.. I got this for Xbox 360... pretty rough. I should know not to base my decisions on screenies by now. :(

yes there is.. which is why I was trying to say that if Witcher had one too, I think I would have liked it more. Sry if it came across differently :)

Agree with ya there.. I tried playing Crysis but somehow it just doesn't feel right. Like the controls seem strange. I dunno I wasn't blown away by it at all.

20. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Looks like you don't know how the action fps game should look like....
    Action/fps needs ACTION, ACTION and more ACTION... just like WARHEAD. I finished it ... probably the best action/fps ever... its better then the first one in every way... its better shooter, it has more action!!, much better use of nano suit ( you need to use it all the time to make the action going and survive) , better graphics, much more cut scenes, you get to know the character much more then Nomad in 1st game... just kicks ass...
    SO for me disappointments were:
    Crysis. Because it didn't have what Warhead has...
    The Witcher. Not to big disappointment, because i didn't expect too much from it.
    Stalker and clear sky, both good, but nothing more... poor shooters, the whole game is like big bug... alot of characters with alot of bad animations and weird acting AI. Great choice for story but... enough said. ( im playing Clear sky right now, its good, but because they didn't fix the things that are elemental for good shooter today i must say disappointment
    Assassins Creed, of course. Well most of you already said why.
    Yeah, and Pro Street...the worst NFS game ever created...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008