Reccomended Upgrades..?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Funkgab, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    I know most of you are going to say a new pc.. but I don't really play that many games anymore, so I really don't care..
    I just want to play SCII and maybe some newer games..

but here are my specs..
    Mobo - Msi k8n Neo2
    Cpu - Amd 64 4000+
    Ram - Some random 512mb sticks (2gb)
    GPU - Geforce 4 TI4200 (now it died) [was going to upgrade it to a 6800 a while back.. but i ended up getting scammed along with many others on this board and i kind of said screw the pc! haha]
    Soundcard - Sound blaster live!

Running windows 7..

So my vid card finally decided to die.. so i found a Sapphire HD 3850 AGP for $50 so it seemed like a good deal..
    I know the vid card is going to bottleneck but 50$.. I think is well worth it

Im getting a new hd soon because i have literally 2gb/2tb

Should I upgrade the ram?

can i play sc2? without lagg?

what do you guys recommend?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. PinguX

PinguX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580
    Since your using windows 7, you'll need more ram for SC2, I use xp and sc2 uses up all the remaining system ram. The game is very cpu based but the video options menu tells you which settings are cpu/gpu based, so you can tweak the settings to get the best performance. A friend of mine plays this game with a P4 3ghz, 2.5gb ram, 9500GT at 1024*768 on xp, and has'nt had any lag issues so far. Hope this helps.

3. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    The 3850 while a bit long in the tooth should still be plenty of power to play at decent detail settings. Your CPU will actually hold you back more than the video card. You need at least a respectable dual core to manage even that 3850. Try and find a deal on an X2 939. If you can't, start saving your pennies for a full upgrade in the future. Until then, try overclocking your 4000+ as much as possible. My old 4000+ did 3.2Ghz with 1.475v and a Zalman 9500.

Also PinguX is right. Yo would be much better off increasing RAM since you're running Windows 7.

4. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    yeah im planning to build a pc not for a while.. trying to extend the life of this thing a couple more years.. since sc2 seems to be the new wagon and its been a game i didn't to miss out on i wanted to see.. so far its fine for low-medium details.. and the cpu and ram is holding back the videocard quite a bit..

now my question is should i downgrade to xp? or just add more ram since windows 7 does use more ram.. i mean i kind of am starting to like windows 7 now that i got all my drivers working

5. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I'd say ram is about the only thing you can do to that rig to up the performance. I don't know what SC2's usage is like. I'd check the resource monitor while you're playing to see how much ram is getting used.

I would not downgrade to Windows XP from Windows 7.

eta: 939 socket dual cores tend to be overpriced due to not many of them being made. You probably won't be able to find one cheap.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    overclock the cpu to like 2.4ghz or around.

I would downgrade to XP, altho sc2 at minimum shouldnt take that much ram.

Just put min. quality and check. You can simply download it to try performance.

7. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    Well his CPU is natively 2.4Ghz. The 4000+ was the strongest single core 939 chip minus the FX-55 and FX-57. The would almost always see 2.8-3Ghz without much effort. If you can't find a good deal on a dual core 939 chip, try to OC your 4000+ as much as possible. You don't have to downgrade to XP as much as don't try to multitask with games and such. Make sure you're only running what you need to run so you don't waste CPU cycles on pointless background processes.

8. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just get a cheap Radeon HD 4670 AGP and that should work as a stopgap upgrade.

I'd rebuilt that machine with these parts (or similar):

Athlon II 640
    GIGABYTE/ASUS 870 chipset board
    Radeon HD 5670
    4 GB DDR3-1600 RAM

deltatux

9. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    The first one to guess correctly how long it will take to install SC2 on his setup ... wins a GF6800 AGP....

j/k :p

10. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150

actually the 3850 has been rated alot higher than the 4xxx series based on reviews for agp

it seems to run okay for now on 7.. so i think ill stay with 7..havn't had a big battle yet so im not sure

whats a safe operating temp for the cpu? mines at 50 - 53c average (doing nothing) using an artic7 freezer

11. damric

damric Banned

GPU:
    HD 5750 925core/1350mem
    For your old system, Windows XP would be a wise option.

Time for a whole system overhaul. What is your budget?

You could get an Athlon II with a GTX 460 and it would run Starcraft 2 very nicely, and not too expensive.

12. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    budget is close to none.. hahaha just trying to extend the life of this thing

13. damric

damric Banned

GPU:
    HD 5750 925core/1350mem
    lol. ever watch that show Hoarders?

14. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    I vote for a cheap upgrade, sc2 doesnt take much to run at all. Unless you plan on playing other games.

15. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    Just OC your rig as much as possible. Since you're on a single core, it would benefit you A LOT to do Windows Tweaks and minimize your background processes so you don't waste CPU cyles to them. You should be running at most ~20 processes at idle with Windows XP SP2+. You can get it down to about 14-15 for the bare essentials. Check out Black Viper's site if you need more help on tweaking your services.

16. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    don't got cable.. just looked it up lmao i should.. i have so many possessions.. but mostly i don't have money..

hmmm sc2 runs decent even on windows 7.. i've grown to like windows 7 though so i think its a sacrifice ill make.. unless xp gives me like 8 more frames or something..